Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Flush...where is the supply line

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Cpoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Flush...where is the supply line

Hello, the 2000 Caravan 3.0l that I have is starting to show transmission issues. It shutters when I place it in reverse and sometimes tens to slip when coasting to a stop. I have no idea when the last time the fluid was changed so I have decided to do a full transmission flush. I just noticed that the pan has no drain plus....nice.....going to be fun removing that. I may replace with a model which has a drain plug for future transmission fluid changes...

I wanted to know which transmission line was the supply. The left or right that is when your facing the motor. If possible is there a diagram I can use. I really need to get a shop manual for this thing.

Going to do a full flush with ATF+4 fluid and change the filter.. I read that you must use a real mopar part or will the replacement transmission filters do fine.

Other than the shutter it still shifts smoothly in all gears however I noticed that you must warm up the van before you drive it. I once drove it cold and it refused to accelerate. I pulled up to the side of the road, let it warm up a few minutes then it was fine.

I am learning this van has lots of quirks with it.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM
22mopar22
Banned

I wouldn't waste the time or money 'flushing' it, just drop the pan change the filter and top off with new fluid (approx 4-5 qts) however the problems you are explaning, a fluid change won't fix the problem. it may mask it but no fix.

as for the cooler lines, the one furthest forward toward the engine is the return line from the cooler.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Do you know which transmission you have in the van?

Old 09-17-2011, 05:54 AM
22mopar22
Banned

2000 caravan ONLY came with a 41TE.

only the 2.4 had a 3speed in this year.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Cpoc

I only see the hoses side by side going into the transmission. Hard to tell which is further. Does anybody have a diagram to show if not I can take a picture and somebody could edit it to show which is the transmission supply line.

Thanks again for all your help

Old 09-17-2011, 09:39 AM
22mopar22
Banned

sorry that I am unable to speak English. I put in my reply

"as for the cooler lines, the one furthest forward toward the engine is the return line from the cooler. "

I'll try to explain again. there are 2 (two) lines on the transmission. One line has fluid leaving the trans going to the radiator transmission cooler. then from the radiator transmission cooler returns to the other line on the transmission.

I, unsuccessfully, tried to tell you the line closest to the engine is the return line from the transmission.

I'll try this again. when you look at the lines, they are directly next to each other. the one on your left (nearest the engine) is the return line. the one on your right is the supply or output line.

If you have dyslexia. the line on the driver side is the supply line and the line toward the passenger side is the return line.

if that still is to difficult, remove a hose at the transmission and see if fluid comes out the the transmission fitting. if it does that is the supply line. if fluid does not come out of the fitting but instead comes out the hose then that is the return line

I really can't think of any other way to accurately explain this delema you are in.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Cpoc

No I do not have dyslexia. That explanation was perfect.
It would be hard to tell without pulling out both lines and starting the engine or without a shop manual diagram.

That is why I asked the question in the first place. A simple left or right line would also suffice.

But thanks anyways you did answer my question.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 PM
22mopar22
Banned

the way i figured this out without the internet, without pictures, without someone telling me which was which. I took off a hose then turned the engine over to see which way the fluid came out (if it came from the trans that was supply, if it came from the hose that was return). I guess my methods of problem solving seem to come natural to me. Oh and I cranked the engine from under the hood using just a paperclip. amazing how important a paper clip is so valuable in a mechanics tool kit.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Cpoc

LOL....now that's really cool. One more use of a paperclip...

I use it to fix telephone handsets all the time....the customers see me do it and laugh...but hey it does the job perfectly.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:32 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

does it matter if you use the supply line or return line? only difference is wether the ATF comes out before or after the cooler.

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush...where is the supply line