Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Chirping worse. Boy do i screw up. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:16 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can pulleys be shimmed to align the to stop chirp?

I took off engine belt, started engine and no chirping, no laboring sound. Only a purring engine. Its a 06caravan--3.8--stow and gow. 65,000 miles

I here a chirping sound in morning (six months). After driving for 5 minutes it goes away. I sprayed underside of belt with water. Chirping would go away for 30 seconds. The sound was definitely coming from either h20 pump or pwr steering pulleys. I checked all other pulleys, their good to go.

I saw a minimal wobble left to right of pulley on h20 pump when spinning it by hand. So i got under and pulled it off (didn't need to drop motor mount to pull it out)and put in a brand new h20 pump on.

Started engine, and now instead of chirping going away after 5 mins. Its NOW constantly there. Do I put the old pump back on? I spun all other pulleys. They move smooth.How can I move the water pump or power steering pump pulleys in or out, hoping for better alignment with one another to remove loud chirping ?

Last edited by scotter5; 11-05-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Better description
Old 11-06-2011, 11:30 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you replace the belt? That's where the noise is coming from.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:24 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Hey ixman--no i didn't replace it. you made it sound logical and appears that it would be. But the noise just got worse after replacing pump, that is why it didn't seem logical. But what is logical anyway?
i just say manny threads saying they did and nothing happened.

But I will anyway. and i hope that i can report good news. Thanks for the offer. I just have limited funds and wanted to make the best of the best decisions that I can.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:09 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should replace the Belt. Get a Good belt, OEM one or belts from Goodyear, Gates, or Dayco(premium)
don't get the cheapest one you can find.
If you spray water on it and noise goes away, your belt is the problem.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:53 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Thanks for caring enough to respond.

I wish I really knew how physically the spraying the belt causes the belt to reduce chirp. Maybe hydro planes across the pulley.

Still how did changing the water pulley now give the belt a constant chirp, when it was there only for about 5 mins before if it was the belt?

And what creates the laboring sound once. remove belt, start engine and no laboring sound. I hope the belt causes that also.

Will know tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Bought a dayco belt, advance auto, the better of the two belts offered by them. bought with discount on line for 21.00. chirping stopped.

still have the laboring sound coming from under the hood. but chirp gone. took belt off pulleys again. and engine purrs without laboring sound

WHY?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 AM
steak59
Record Breaker

whats a laboring sound? Do you think you can make a Video Clip and upload it on Youtube or something with a camera/cellphone?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM
scotter5
Veteran

Yes Steak. I will try to upload to youtube. Thanks

Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Seasoned mechanic listened and says laboring sound is created by valve covers because of plastic instead of medal,creates echo sound.He said he experienced that on others.

I had van about 1.5 yrs and don't recall if sound was there when getting it but am aware for about 6 mths now. Pulleys turn smooth, no hand ups. New belt. Of course can't spin crank shaft to check for it, but don't see wobble.

What do i check for?
You can upload the youtube video from link below, and maybe have had some experience with this sound before.

What do i check for? Have you heard this sound before: 06, 3.8 caravan, 65,000 miles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2cO0gIT5Y0

Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

That sound like you got a bad pulley, for sure. But you said all idler pulley spins smoothly with no noise by hand?
It could be from Alternator. Try putting a Long screw driver or Extension on top of the Alternator Case, and put your ear near the other end of it. see if you can hear it thru the extension.

Is it noticeable loud when you are inside the car?

Quick Reply: Chirping worse. Boy do i screw up. Help.