Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 AM
fatheroftwins07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start

hello i am new to this three days ago my 99 dodge caravan se 3.3 liter died on my wife backing out of the driveway. since then i have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor and the water pump but it still won't start, it acts like it wants to fire up and run but all it does is crank over sputter a little then die i am at a loss not sure where to turn now to get it running again if anyone has any suggestions please i need help.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
First thing I would do is check for any stored codes, I'm guessing with year of the van. You could have a bad flex plate.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 PM
fatheroftwins07
Default update

not sure if that is the problem but i will check it just to be safe. however now when i turn the key to the on position the fuel kicks on then immediately kicks back off and i and getting no spark but i can't seem to find out why someone told me it could be the auto shutdown relay but i am not finding a replacement through the auto parts stores out here (autozone & advanced auto) it looks to be the same relay as the fuel pump. could this be the reason why my van isn't getting fuel or spark? also would the flex plate make a clanking noise when the motor does start?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pump turning off when the key is at on/run is normal. The pump turns on momentarily then shuts off to prime the fuel system before starting. When you turn the key to start and release the key the pump stays on.

When you attempt to start, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the engine's brain, looks for signals from the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor to establish engine timing. That done,the PCM supplies a ground the coil in the ASD relay. The coil closes the relay output contacts sending power to the ignition coil, fuel pump relay, fuel injectors and O2 sensors. If the PCM has an internal fault, doesn't see the sensor signals, the ASD relay is bad, or there is an open wire in the circuit, those listed components aren't powered. Your engine will crank all day long but won't start.

As long as the part numbers match on any two relays, you can swap them to troubleshoot. Did you check for codes?

Last edited by Cougar41; 11-18-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM
fatheroftwins07
Default update 2

no i haven't checked for trouble codes yet haven't had the money to get a code reader. but i do know that i am not getting gas or spark to the engine (no power to ignition coil) i also know before it broke down it drove fine from home to church and brothers house then next morning it just died been trying to figure it out since. i am about ready to send the van to the scrap yard as it is getting to expensive to fix. not sure anymore about what it is a relay or the damn ignition switch that is causing no power to ignition coil and no fuel even though the fuel pump kicks on to pressurize the fuel system. i did have to replace the water pump from a leaking issue and the brake booster due to it going out but now it seems that someone before i bought the van changed out the power distribution block for a larger one as the fuel pump relay i find at autozone is to small for my vehicle.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
fatheroftwins07
Default no start ******update******

still having issues getting my van to start. finally checked for stored codes only to get a big 0 on the screen of my code reader. on to the issue i have discovered in the process i checked the fuel pump and filter again the pump wasn't working so i had to change it yet again, however with a new fuel pump in i am still not getting any fuel through the fuel filter to the fuel rail, even though the filter is new what are the chances of getting a faulty fuel filter? Please someone provide some insight on this as i am almost at my wits end trying to get this van running again.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 PM
scotter5
Veteran

I have say frayed wires in the harness before behind the engine. Heat burns off insulation and wires touch one another. Can you get your hands on the larger harness, cut it open and look around to see if that is the case. If so, get new wire and cut and splice.

When wires touch one another the cut the signal going to pcm. this can occur without a bad fuse. although i would check fuses anyway. i would also check under fuse box for corrosion.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 PM
fatheroftwins07
Default final update

it was the fuel filter it had some gunk in the line from the pump blew that out and now the van is running. thanks for all the input though

Quick Reply: No Start