Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Dodge Caravan P0522

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Danny1976
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Caravan P0522

I have changed the oil pressure switch 2 times and I still get the P0522 obd code. I was taking a closer look at the harness switch the connects to the oil pressure sensor and notice it has a tiny rip that exposes a small anount of the copper wires. Its a very small rip and the copper wires look intact. Would the small rip cause the P0522 code? I tried putting some electric tape around it, but the cut is very close to the switch. Is there any way to repair it? Thanks in advanced for your answers.

I am also getting these OBD codes P0627 PRESUPPLY FUEL PUMP CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN, P0645 A/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH RELAY CIRCUIT OPEN (but this one I think is because I am bypassing the A/C clutch relay), and the last one has to do with the O2 Sensors P0032 which I am replacing. The car has been going downhill this year. First was the oil pressure sensor, which I have replaced, but in the process stripped the wire. Then the A/C blower for some reason would not come on and I found out that if I kick the blower it turns on. Its like the blower motor is getting stuck. Then the compressor went bad and had it replaced, but now the A/C will not come on unless I bypass the A/C clutch relay (Already swapped relays and still no go). While the mechanic was checking the old compressor the computer on the car went bad and the engine would not start. I had to buy a computer and once the car started, he was able to replace the compressor. I dont know if the P0627 has to do with me bypassing the A/C clutch relay, which in return may set off P0627. I am not a mechanic and I cant afford paying any more money to fix the caravan which is not worth $4000. Its a 2003 Dodge Caravan 2.4L engine. Could the problem be a bad wiring harness? Is it worth fixing or will the mini van keep going downhill and have more issues down the road? Please HELP.

Last edited by Danny1976; 10-30-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The P0522 code is set when the signal to the PCM drops below 0.1v. Which basically means the sensor is shorting out or the harness is shorting to ground. I'm guessing the later. Here is a wiring diagram for the oil pressure switch.

Is it possible you removed the fuel pump relay when doing stuff with the a/c relay? it is just a control circuit code and if the van runs, then the fuel pump relay is obviously ok.

Does the a/c cool when you jump the relay? Basically when you press the button on the control panel for a/c operation, the PCM looks at the pressure switch and if that is ok, it grounds the relay coil to actuate the relay. You could have an issue with the pressure transducer not reading correctly, could have lost power to the relay coil, could have a bad PCM. I'll give you a diagram for the comprssor clutch also to help you check it out.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Also, was there any oil in the connector when you replaced the sensor the first time?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Danny1976
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Also, was there any oil in the connector when you replaced the sensor the first time?
On the oil pressure sensor there was oil on the connector. So the small cut on the cable will not be an issue....you think its the connector being dirty with oil? The oil pressure light comes on intermittently. If the connector was the problem, wouldn't it set off the oil pressure code light on the dash all the time?

Last edited by Danny1976; 11-03-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Danny1976
Rookie
Default Answers to Questions

The P0522 code is set when the signal to the PCM drops below 0.1v. Which basically means the sensor is shorting out or the harness is shorting to ground. I'm guessing the later. Here is a wiring diagram for the oil pressure switch.

How do I test to see if the harness is shorting the ground? I have multimeter tester I bought from Walmart.

Is it possible you removed the fuel pump relay when doing stuff with the a/c relay? it is just a control circuit code and if the van runs, then the fuel pump relay is obviously ok.

I did remove the fuel pump relay to swap for the a/c clutch relay for testing.

Does the a/c cool when you jump the relay?
Yes the A/C cools and the clutch engages when I bypass the relay.

Basically when you press the button on the control panel for a/c operation, the PCM looks at the pressure switch and if that is ok, it grounds the relay coil to actuate the relay. You could have an issue with the pressure transducer not reading correctly, could have lost power to the relay coil, could have a bad PCM. I'll give you a diagram for the comprssor clutch also to help you check it out.

I forgot to mention that when the mechanic changed the compressor he told me to exchange it because it had a bad clutch and it was shorting out a fuse. I also notice he had replaced the fuses with 20 rated fuse and not 15 like the original. Could that had something to do with the computer going bad, O2 sensors, tail lights assembly and the A/C switch on the center console all going bad. He said he drove the car from where it was to another location to check the original compressor and when he went to turn it on it wouldn't start. I assume it was bad luck that the compressor went bad and then the computer.

Thank you for all your help and time.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

I have seen some bizzare stuff happen with the oil pressure switches when they get oil in the connector. I have seen them push oil all the way back to the pcm and inside. The oil in the connector at the switch is what causes the short. You basically need to replace the connector and as much of the wire as you can.

As far as the other issues, hard to say what happens when someone gets in there and starts shorting things out. And it's never good to put in a larger fuse.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Danny1976
Rookie

I have seen some bizzare stuff happen with the oil pressure switches when they get oil in the connector. I have seen them push oil all the way back to the pcm and inside. The oil in the connector at the switch is what causes the short. You basically need to replace the connector and as much of the wire as you can.

As far as the other issues, hard to say what happens when someone gets in there and starts shorting things out. And it's never good to put in a larger fuse.
The only way I know how to get a replacement is at the junk yard. Is there another place I can get the connector for the oil pressure sensor, besides the dealership? Thank you very much for the help...really appreciated.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

05019913AA is the part number and it is $36, just get one from the dealer.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Danny1976
Rookie

05019913AA is the part number and it is $36, just get one from the dealer.
Tizzy,

After putting the electrical tape, cleaning it, and erasing the codes...It hasn't shown the code or the oil light. Thank again for also helping me the parking light issue and this one.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Caravan P0522