Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Antifreeze leak from A/C evaporator drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Iwagner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leak from A/C evaporator drain

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help trying to pin down a coolant leak that I have in my 98 grand caravan. For about a 2 months I have had antifreeze leaking from the drain from the firewall on the passenger side of the van. I just stuck a pan under the van and put it on the back burner. About every week I would have to add coolant to the overflow reservoir. After much searching on this forum, I've read several posts stating that this could be a failing heater core. I just replaced the heater core and thermostat (it was bad), flushed the entire system and refilled with fresh coolant - and it's still leaking!! I can't figure this one out. I have no fluid leaking inside the van, no smells. I thought that the heating system was a closed system and didn't run through any of the A/C components, am I wrong about this? Could it be the condenser or the evaporator, and why would those have antifreeze in them?? Much thanks in advance.

Ian

Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome to DF
Try clamping off the heater lines going into the heater core. Does the system still leaks. No then you may have a bad heater core, even it is new. A new heater core can also be bad.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Iwagner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to give an update. The leaking was just some residual fluid left in the A/C drain hose. No leaks and great heat, but the transmission just started slipping today...lol. Time for another job

Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 AM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol Iwagner, it is a never ending job

Before you go all hay day on that tranny, I would check the TV cable and make adjustments if needed. (Pretty sure you Caravans have TV cables still (haven't looked under the hood of one in a little bit of time)

Quick Reply: Antifreeze leak from A/C evaporator drain