Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A670 (31TH) Transmission Help

Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
MoparPartWorld
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-12-2014, 11:38 PM
3speedpgv

That definitely sounds more cost effective right now, all I would have in it is the sand paper and time, wish me luck on this adventure I've never worked on an automatic and are also sceptical to do it because I have no garage type place to work on it I'm a backyard mechanic

Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 PM
minivanmania

Just wanted to chime in on the subject of the Chrysler A670 Trans.

I own a 1994 Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0 and and a 3 speed. When I bought the vehicle a year ago i was always concerned about the hard shudder it would produce when going into reverse although it would shift fine going forward.

I didn't want to take it in to do a flush as a couple mechanics i knew would advise against that on older vehicles due to the possibility of sludge and other metal filings finding their way into the wrong places and causing more problems so I opted to change the fluid myself. I bought a filter kit with a gasket and 5 liters of Mobil ATF+4 fluid.

After letting the fluid drain out of the pan and taking the bottom hose from the trans leading to the cooling radiator, cleaned everything up, put the pan back on and refilled with the Mobil. Took it for a test drive, shifted great. Then I stopped the vehicle, and went into reverse. No more hard shuddering! My guess is that the previous owner took it to a lube shop and they put Dex 3 into it. Mobil ATF +4 is a Mopar approved product. I'm sticking to this stuff. I have also considered Lucas Transmission additive but decided against it until further research.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:21 PM
drake740

Please help,96 voyager,31TH auto,keeps going from 3rd to passing gear once it runs a while.also doesn't have a kick down cable.has a rod which the book doesn't mention.any clue please?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:31 PM
drake740

Originally Posted by drake740
Please help,96 voyager,31TH auto,keeps going from 3rd to passing gear once it runs a while.also doesn't have a kick down cable.has a rod which the book doesn't mention.any clue please?
master tech I've had 3 people tell me it's the shift sylonoid.sound right?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:34 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drake740
master tech I've had 3 people tell me it's the shift sylonoid.sound right?
The A670 is mechanical. There are NO shift solenoids. They don't have kickdown cables, it's a rod from the throttle body to the trans (kickdown linkage). Your linkage may be sticky (had this happen). Spray it down with some good lube and work it, that will help if it's just the linkage binding.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:33 PM
casual driver
Cool a670

Where is the transmission throttle cable adjustment to be found? Have Haynes but, no pics or description.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Mr.small

Originally Posted by bjr1a
DOes the trans completely disengage at a stop and when you press the gas pedal it re-applys?

i got a 2000 Chrysler Voyager 3 liter V6 with a 3-speed transmission I believe it's the 31TH.... Mine is doing this

Old 01-18-2020, 04:42 PM
thealex

I've got a 1990 Lebaron with the 3 litre 3 speed auto with overdrive, and when i'm driving along in "overdrive" it will downshift into 2nd and will not shift out of 2nd unless you turn the engine off and back on. because of this i've been driving in "drive" which only gives the 3 gears which makes highway driving impossible. i shifted into "overdrive" while i was on the highway and it worked for a while and then it mimicked neutral. i think it may be a combination of speed sensors, governor valves and burnt up clutches, because a few months before this happened a hole was punched in the trans pan and it drove without oil for a while. Any suggestions where to start because i don't have the money to rebuild or replace.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:52 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thealex
I've got a 1990 Lebaron with the 3 litre 3 speed auto with overdrive, and when i'm driving along in "overdrive" it will downshift into 2nd and will not shift out of 2nd unless you turn the engine off and back on. because of this i've been driving in "drive" which only gives the 3 gears which makes highway driving impossible. i shifted into "overdrive" while i was on the highway and it worked for a while and then it mimicked neutral. i think it may be a combination of speed sensors, governor valves and burnt up clutches, because a few months before this happened a hole was punched in the trans pan and it drove without oil for a while. Any suggestions where to start because i don't have the money to rebuild or replace.
1. You have the electronic 4 speed, not the 31th that this discussion is about.

2. If you drove it without trans fluid for a while (I'm assuming until it stopped moving), then your trans is most likely toasted.

Having it rebuilt will be your best bet, but good luck finding a shop that can do the work right. Trans mechanics, dealers, etc are all F-ing morons when it comes to these transmissions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A670 (31TH) Transmission Help