Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A670 (31TH) Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Veronika
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
could you please help me with a 1997 Dodge Caravan 3.0 V6 - 169,000 miles?
Last week (temperature below the freezing point) I started my boyfriends car, tried to upshift to Drive and the motor stopped - it did not happen before, never(!).
Then I started again and the car shivered (like it was cold), as it warmed up a bit it get better, but still have some problems when shifting up.
When I drive on 2nd gear it is ok, but when i put D and drive over 40 mph it starts shaking quickly back and forward...
Could you, please give me some advice - what is wrong, how to repair it? It has 3speed automatic transaxle - type 31TH(A670). We tried to add the oil - it was also indicating to add oil, but this did not help :-(
Thank you for your time.
Veronika

Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 AM
3speedpgv
Default need help, transmission not shifting

Hi I'm new to the forums and looking for a helping hand I have a 97 Plymouth grand voyager with a 3.0 engine and 3 speed (I'm guessing a670) transmission. Said vehicle is not shifting past 2nd gear even at 40-45 mph. I've not really felt comfortable driving faster than that. So here is the breakdown, I drove the van 1400 miles moving back home, it drove beautifully except for a belt popping off in Indiana, the van gave no indication there was anything wrong, it made the trip home just fine but 2-3 days after getting back it just randomly stopped shifting, any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2014, 01:15 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The most likely cause is the governor is sticking. To remove the governor, you need to remove the valve body and then remove the three 7mm bolts from the governor body. There be a screen inside the body. Replace the governor body and both valves. Be sure the valves move freely in the bores. If they don't, use fine sandpaper and clean the bores until the valves move freely. And then adjust the kick down bands if needed.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:03 PM
3speedpgv

What is the procedure for adjusting the kickdown bands. I know nothing about automatic transmissions, but I guess if I can't drive it now anyways how much harm could I really do lol.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:49 PM
3speedpgv

Also where would I be able to find these parts, something tells me I can't just go to auto zone or advance and get them

Old 05-10-2014, 03:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Try the dealer or AutoZone. I don't know if AutoZone will carrier the parts, you would need to check with them. The rear band should have a 1/4 to 1/2 inch free play and the same with the front band. The front band adjuster has a 18mm nut the locks the adjuster and the rear has a 1/2 nut to lock down the adjuster. Just move the adjuster until you get the specs that I wrote. Don't use a torque wench to set the specs.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 PM
3speedpgv

I can't for the life of me find this anywhere, hopefully someone could help, I'm looking on a phone while in the country with poor service so it kind of makes it a pain, no go on auto zone BTW.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:06 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I checked with AutoZone and auto anything and they don't carry the parts. The Mopar part numbers are 4659366 governor body, 4295956 and 4295955 for both valves. Check with your local dealer for these part numbers.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM
3speedpgv

I will check with them I figured I would have to go through the dealer, just out of curiosity will I have to buy new springs and everything and are the shift "fix" kits that are sold worth buying or are they just a waste of money, I found parts somewhere online but they all say Europe, don't know of that would be a problem or not

Old 05-11-2014, 04:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

What you can do in a pinch, is remove the old governor body and use sand paper and clean out the bores and the valves. Use brake cleaner and blow the parts off with compress air. No you don't need a need spring.

Quick Reply: A670 (31TH) Transmission Help