Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A670 (31TH) Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 12:28 AM
Pugil3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar Problem A670

Similar problem as above: I noticed on a trip back & forth to W. Virginia- 1998 Caravan 3.0/A670 wanted to kick down to 2nd quite a bit more than normal- and after that trip, it started acting wonky one night - shifting erratically- now it won’t go from 2nd to 3rd in normal driving. Also does not want to shift down to 1st at a stop. It has 136k mikes- fluid & filter changed approx 10k miles ago.

I bought the 3 governor valve parts listed above(scheduled to arrive here Thursday) - also ordered the accumulator piston. I don’t have the atsg manual- so any Detailed info you could give me, I’d sure appreciate. 🙏🏼,

Old 08-23-2021, 07:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I got your message. Governor's have been a problem for these transmission for years. I have a 42RH transmission that does the same thing. The governor valves need to move freely in the body. Get some sand paper and clean the bores that the valves sit in. Wipe the bores out with some brake clean and then add some ATF on the valves and make sure it moves freely. The one valve with the spring on it. Pull the spring just to make it a bit longer, Not to much. One more thing, Will the transmission down shift if you move the shifter from drove to low?

Quick Reply: A670 (31TH) Transmission Help