Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

cranks but won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Linebacker_47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranks but won't fire

My parents got their van towed to my place, basicially to cranks but won't fire here's the backround info
2000 caravan
3.3L v6
201500 kms

I've done regular maintance other than a tune up which I was going to do this summer, I suspect its the alternator

Their alternator starting acting funny a year ago It charges the battery around 13.2 volts, most cars I've worked on charge at 14 or so, also if u but on the defroster while having the fan on max the battery light comes on

I tried boosting it just to see and it just cranks, would a bad alternator/battery cause a vehicle not to fire? I know they can run for a little bit off the battery so that's why I'm a little puzzled

Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

NO if it cranks its nothing to do with the alternator or battery. I first would check fuel pressure. change the fuel filter. might not be getting fuel to the engine. i would think if u have not changed plugs and wires it could be also a possibility that they could be issue. when u cranking it over to many times and not starting smell lots of fuel? be carefull though not to do this too long cause if fuel can wash the cylinder from oil and u could cause more issues. pull out a plug and see if its wet of fuel. if it is then u probably got ignition issues.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Chazwel
Professional

If you change the fuel filter, change the fuel pump also, they are both in the gas tank.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

Originally Posted by Chazwel
If you change the fuel filter, change the fuel pump also, they are both in the gas tank.

if im not mistaken the fuel filter aint in the tank. i know the 2008+ are like that but he has a 2000.

just another thing if u have a key fob that has a imobilizer than it can also be the issue.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull a spark plug out. Connect the plug wire to the spark plug. Hold the plug against the engine case. Crank the engine. If you see a good spark the alternator isn't the problem though it sounds like you're do for a new one soon. As I recall 13.2 volts is the minimum for that test. Load test the battery too. If there's no spark keep reading.

A common issue with a crank but no start problem is the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) circuit. In order for the engine to start, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has to see a clear and steady timing signal from both the camshaft and crankshaft sensors when you crank the engine while attempting to start. If the PCM doesn't see the timing signals, it won't apply the ground to the coil in the ASD relay. The ASD relay supplies power to the ignition coil, fuel injectors and O2 sensors. Without that ground from the PCM none of those components will be powered. In other words, you can crank it all day but it won't start.

To verify the ASD circuit is the problem you'll have to see if the engine is getting spark AND fuel. To determine if your not getting spark check for the B+ power input at the ignition coil. No meter? Second best way is outlined in the first paragraph but try it on two cylinders. Bit difficult to check for fuel on a 3.3 since there no test port. Crank the engine several times. Pull a plug right away. If it's wet with gas the injectors are powered and you're getting fuel. If you're not getting spark and the spark plugs are dry (no fuel)suspect the ASD circuit.

The usual culprit is a bad crank or cam sensor. They often fail without throwing a code. The ASD relay could be bad or wiring in the circuit could be broken creating an open circuit.

If your missing just one or the other, it's not the ASD circuit. If you're missing only spark, it could be worn plugs, plug wires, the ignition coil, the PCM or wiring to it. If you're missing only fuel, it could be a bad fuel pump, relay, wiring or plugged/dented fuel line. Spray starting fluid in the intake as you crank the engine. If it fires up and dies when you stop spraying, you're not getting fuel.

Last edited by Cougar41; 01-10-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Chazwel
Professional

I have a 2000 GC and have changed the fuel pump and filter, they are definitely in the gas tank. Not too bad a job, it will let you know before it goes out and won't just go out at once.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Linebacker_47

Finally got some nice weather up here so i was able to start work on the van, I replaced the fuel filter since it was most likely the original, Still wont start, So far ive confirmed spark at all 6 cylinders and after the fuel filter change ive confirmed there is adequate fuel pressure, Although not the best test all i did was disconnect the main outgoing fuel line and cranked the engine, gas sprayed out.. and correction to my previous post this is a 3.0 L engine not a 3.3, it does have a distributor not coil packs.

Even if i do get it to run again it has the following problems still that need to get looked at right away

New alternator and battery
Rusted strut tower (very bad, can see right through it)
Way overdue for new plugs and wires
Huge oil leak coming from above the oil filter (not the valve cover)
Burns oil like crazy, and lots of white smoke when it starts up

what do you guys think? worth fixing?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

One of the camshaft seals maybe leaking and oil burning maybe the piston rings. Question is how much money do you want to spend.

Quick Reply: cranks but won't fire