Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Ambient Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 PM
ssmallwood4312
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ambient Temperature Sensor

2007 Grand Caravan

My outside temperature reading was wayyyy off (34C in January in Ontario). The check engine light was on as well, so I changed the ambient temperature sensor (very easy). I took the terminals off the battery for 10 minutes, then reinstalled them.

Check engine light has successfully turned off, but the display still reads 32C outside. It should be around 0C. Coincidentally it looks like it is reading the 32F as 32C, but that could just be a fluke. Any way that I can reset this? Or perhaps the new sensor is damaged, or any other suggestions????

Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

08 - Electrical / 8M - Message Systems / Overhead Console/Diagnosis and Testing
OVERHEAD CONSOLE
Any diagnosis of the overhead console should begin with the use of a diagnostic scan tool. For information on the use of the scan tool, refer to the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures information.

If the problem with the overhead console is an inaccurate or dashed (- -) display, refer to SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST. If the problem with the overhead console is incorrect Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) dimming levels, use a scan tool and the proper diagnostic procedures information to test for the correct dimming message inputs being received from the Body Control Module (BCM) or Front Control Module (FCM) over the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus circuit. If the problem is a no-display condition, use the following procedures.

Inspect the related wiring harness connectors for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded terminals. Refer to the appropriate wiring information.

1. Check the fused B(+) fuse in the integrated power module. If OK, go to Step #2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
2. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) fuse in the integrated power module. If OK, go to Step #3. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the fused B(+) fuse in the integrated power module as required.
3. Check the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the integrated power module. If OK, go to Step #4. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the integrated power module. If OK, go to Step #5. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit to the ignition switch as required.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the overhead console. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the roof wire harness connector for the electronics module and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step #6. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit as required.
6. Connect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the roof wire harness connector for the electronics module. If OK, go to Step #7. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the fused B(+) fuse in the integrated power module as required.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit cavity of the roof wire harness connector for the electronics module. If OK, refer to SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit to the fuse in the integrated power module as required.

SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST
A self-diagnostic test is used to determine that the electronics module is operating properly, and that all the PCI data bus messages are being received for initial operation. Initiate the self-diagnostic test as follows:

1. With the ignition switch in the Off position, on Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) and Compass Mini-Trip Computer (CMTC) equipped vehicles simultaneously depress and hold the STEP and the RESET buttons. On Compass Temperature Module (CT) equipped vehicles depress the C/T and the US/M push buttons.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
3. Following completion of these tests, the electronics module will display one of the following messages:
Pass Self Test (EVIC only), PASS (CT, CMTC) - The electronics module is working properly.
Failed Self Test (EVIC only), FAIL (CT, CMTC) - The electronics module has an internal failure. The electronics module is faulty and must be replaced.

NOTE: If the compass functions, but accuracy is suspect, it may be necessary to perform a variation adjustment. This procedure allows the compass unit to accommodate variations in the earth's magnetic field strength, based on geographic location. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Overhead Console - Standard Procedure) .

NOTE: If the compass reading display is blank and only “CAL” appears in the display, demagnetizing may be necessary to remove excessive residual magnetic fields from the vehicle. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Overhead Console - Standard Procedure) .

Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM
ssmallwood4312
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you.

I have done the self-diagnostic and it says PASS. I do not think this is a battery or voltage problem, and I do not have a scanner.

This morning it was -2C outside, the console read 15C, so not as bad as yesterday but still incorrect.

Is it possible that the new sensor just needs time to calibrate itself? Or is there a way for me to calibrate it?

Quick Reply: Ambient Temperature Sensor