Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Stuck in 2nd gear & no RPM Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Grogerygetter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stuck in 2nd gear & no RPM Gauge

I have just bought a 2001 Dodge Caravan 3.3 Flex Fuel w/ 98,000 miles and it is stuck in Limp mode 2nd gear & reverse only. Also the RPM gauage barely works. I have replace both Input & Output Speed sensors. I have check the transmission fluid and it is nice and pink. The transmission is not making any noise sounds smooth just not changing gears. I did notice that the valve cover is leaking pretty good and the power steering reservior is leaking too. When I changed the Speed Input Sensor I notice that it was covered with oil and power steering fluid. Checked codes at Advanced Auto Today and came up with nothing. I did a check on the dash and it came up with P1689 Battery disconnected within 50 starts. I would greatly appreciate any help just had a baby and don't have a lot of money. Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited by Grogerygetter; 03-31-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tach indicator uses data from the crankshaft position sensor via the Transmission Control Module (TCM) for it's display. The source of your problems should be in that circuit. The crank sensor is also used for engine ignition timing. It follows then that if you also see hesitation, stumbling or hard starting then the crank sensor is suspect number one but if the engine is running smooth then it's not a suspect. That said, I've got that nagging feeling.

Sometime recently I read of a similar problem fixed by the crank sensor but the engine was running fine. It caught me by surprise. Unfortunately, this tired sole can't remember the details and I can't find the thread.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-31-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Grogerygetter

Replaced the Crank sensor today and the problem still persist. After I replace the Crank Sensor I put the code reader on and the only code that came up was P1684 which means
Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Now is that the Oil Pressure sending unit or what? Thanks again for the help!!!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Take a look at the wire harness around the p/s reservoir. You stated the valve covers and p/s is leaking. Open up harness and inspect.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Louis2011

I have the same problem right now with my 2005 dodge caravan im stuck in 2nd gear as well,and also it seems the p/s is leaking as well is it usually wiring issues???

Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Grogerygetter
Replaced the Crank sensor today and the problem still persist. After I replace the Crank Sensor I put the code reader on and the only code that came up was P1684 which means
Metering Oil Pump Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Now is that the Oil Pressure sending unit or what? Thanks again for the help!!!

P1684 is commonly known as - battery disconnected in last fifty starts. Could be a wiring problem but first I would head to a transmission shop and have them check for transmisssion codes in the TCM. They will use a scanner programmed specifically for transmissions.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Louis2011
I have the same problem right now with my 2005 dodge caravan im stuck in 2nd gear as well,and also it seems the p/s is leaking as well is it usually wiring issues???
Any other symptoms?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Grogerygetter

No, the only symptoms are Stuck in 2nd gear and reverser works too. The transmission is not making any noise, but there is a big oil leak coming from valve cover, power steering reservoir and the oil pressure sensor. I have replaced the Speed input sensor, output sensor, oil pressure sensor, and the crank sensor. I just took the reservoir off last night and cleaned it out, I saw a video on youtube that said these are the main cause of power steering noise. Today I will inspect the wiring harness underneath the power steering reservoir. I am also going to get the trans scanned for codes today as well. I will follow up with my findings. Thank you so much for the help!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Louis2011

Yes i have the same symptoms my transmission is fine i checked it out at a shop,my power steering cover is leaking also,i havent replaced the oil pressure sensor or crank sensor i did replace a speed sensor

Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Grogerygetter

Had the transmission scanned yesterday and no codes other than the battery disconnect within the last 50 starts. Still have to check the harness under the power steering reservoir today. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Stuck in 2nd gear & no RPM Gauge