Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dode caravan

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Joseph Datri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dode caravan

I have a Dodge caravan 2.4l dohc.I replaced the tension, timing belt and water pump and set it up the timing perfect.Replaced spark plugs and wires.When i start it... It idles fast then slow and wants to shut off i have to keep hitting the gas to keep it started.Im really lost and if any body has some tips or suggestions let me know. Thanks
An one other thing it's been sitting since november 11 and i add new gas and some water removal treatment.

Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yW3X...1&feature=plcp

Last edited by Joseph Datri; 05-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Welcome to DF
Your timing must be off. Because it sounds like its off. Did you use an impact gun on the camshaft sprocket? If you did, you may have broken off one of the camshaft pins. I do have a picture on how the belt is set up. If you like me to send it to you, just pm me your email address.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Joseph Datri
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
Your timing must be off. Because it sounds like its off. Did you use an impact gun on the camshaft sprocket? If you did, you may have broken off one of the camshaft pins. I do have a picture on how the belt is set up. If you like me to send it to you, just pm me your email address.
omg thanks for the reply and no i never used a impact gun..

Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

On the 2.4....when you time it up right, the crank mark will be about a half tooth past the mark and the cam marks will be dead on. Many first timers get it wrong. Make sure the "2.4L Front" on the cam sprockets are both right side up when you line the marks up. This will apply to PT Cruiser, Sebring Stratus, etc. Applies also to the 2.0L.

Quick Reply: Dode caravan