Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Puzzled in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:10 PM
fltrainer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puzzled in Florida

Hi Fella's, my name is Carl and I'm a first time poster @the Forum.

What I will describe to you is happening to my in-laws 2002 GC. It has a 86K on the speedo, 3.3 eng. and AOD tranny. My father-in-law took it to Auto Zone and had it computer checked. The person stated that number 2 plug or plug wire is not firing properly, and all it needs is a tune-up.

Family Fonzie (me) to the rescue. Before driving the van I removed numbers 2, 4, and 6 plugs (easy ones) they've seen better days. No. 2 plugs porcelin was somewhat darker than the toasty color on 4 & 6.

I cleaned them up, regapped them down to .050 from .080 gap I've seen worse. I didn't remove the inboard plugs...I'm sure you know why.

This is what I find puzzling; eng. hot and at idle speed in neutral or park there no indication of a miss. Go to drive and you have a miss, accelerate in drive definite miss/hesitation, the miss/hesitation will vary from light to an almost stumble, but it doesn't stall. When you pass the miss/hesitation point you're off and running....no problem until you stop and go again.

Now, this is what's happening in reverse.... absolutely nothing. Accelerate in reverse (lightly or hard) you go like a bat out of hell.

I thought of the EGR valve (grasping for straws) maybe, I didn't see it. I'll p/u a Haynes manual and get better acquainted.

I've worked on cars for decades so I'm not completely new to the game, with the exception to all these computer cars... I left the business (F&*@^d) dealer in 86, we didn't have anything like this.

It definitely needs plugs which I'll replace.

Any info will be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance......Carl

Last edited by fltrainer; 07-27-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 AM
papaduck
Professional

Most likely it is the plugs, at .080 that is a large gap and as compression goes up they can misfire. They need replacing. Be sure to use the same brand and number, other brands have caused problems.

The EGR valve is located to the left just above the altinator attached to the end of the head. I have had the EGR valve start causing a misfire and not throw a code.

Last edited by papaduck; 07-28-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Nevada Ray

Ditto on spark plug brand. I've read on other forums that the ones to use are the OEM Champion Brand.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM
fltrainer

Fella's I appreciate the info. I will start with the plugs. Its has Champ plug, the decal has the type, I'll get what they recommend just like youse guys mentioned.

Can the inboard plug be changed from the top or underneath the van? I hope not! At my age I don't like crawling under any car including my own.

Papaduck, if it were the plugs wouldn't it also hesitate driving in reverse?

As far as the EGR valve is concerned is there a way of checking it without a computer..... disconnecting it momentarily maybe and driving just to see if there is a difference?

I'll change the plugs within the next few days and keep you posted....

Thank guys.....Carl

Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can reach the back plug by removing the air filter box.
If you are having difficulty, you can remove the Wiper assy for more room. But I recommend you to change the rear valve cover gasket with it if you choose to remove the wipers.
Good luck!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM
papaduck
Professional

Not sure why it does not miss in reverse.

I know that I can reach the plugs by reaching over the engine while it is cold. I cannot see the plugs but have no problem doing it by feel. I do suggest that you break the plugs free but do not remove them untill you blow out the recess with compressed air if available, then remove the plugs.

I know of now way to check the EGR valve other than what you suggested by disconnecting the electrical connection. The computer will probably throw a code and light the CEL.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 AM
dsolorio
Professional

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think your plugs should be gap at about .040 not .050 gap. I would recommend changing all the plugs before taking the test drive, that alone could cause goofy performance. Do you happen to know what the code or codes where that showed up?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM
fltrainer

dsolorio the correct plug gap is .050 which came off the engine decal along with the plug type. I'll p/u a set of Champ plugs and install them hopefully that will do the trick...

I wasn't there when Autozone checked the van. All my father-in-law mentioned was that #2 plug or plug wire weren't firing properly, and a tune-up would fix the problem, there was no mention of codes.

Papa been there, done that with their 96 GC they had. I just love climbing into engine compartments....

Again fella's I appreciate all the input. I'll keep you posted

.....Carl

Quick Reply: Puzzled in Florida