Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan towing a trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go out of my way to do any early service, just use the severe service schedule IF you tow REGULARLY. For one trip it's just not needed,

Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
DGCaravan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b1lk1
I wouldn't go out of my way to do any early service, just use the severe service schedule IF you tow REGULARLY. For one trip it's just not needed,
Servicing the transmission early in its life prolong its life. During the first 5000 miles an automatic transmission produces 75 percent of its lifetime amount of contaminants. The 75 percent number is based on 25 years of studies by Eleftherakis & Khalil, the Contaminants are a combination of any residual manufacturing debris and break-in wear.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 PM
b1lk1
Veteran

I don't argue the point of changing fluid more often when towing often, but one 800 mile trip is hardly a heavy task.

Besides that, I'm gonna go out on a limb that a 2009 has atlest 30,000 miles on it and it should have had it's transmission serviced yet or if the manual shows it is coming due then just get it serviced early.

Otherwise, no need to change it just because you towed with it.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
td1
Rookie

i have a 1996 GC ES 3.8L "hippievan" which i installed air bags and new shocks on a couple of years ago. two people, 6 hours, no problems.

airbags -

http://shop.airliftcompany.com/produ...g_Leveling_Kit

new shocks -

http://www.kyb.com/products/shocks/gasajust.php

i think i paid less than $400 for everything (thanks amazon!). i also change out the tired old leafsprings. i joined the airbags together inline so that if there is a leak they both deflate and not just one. i routed the nipple behind the gas tank door, just above the gas cap. no hassle, no onboard compressor, perfect location, perfect setup for towing and heavy loads for road trips/skiKations and such.

the kyb "gas adjust" are pretty stiff with an empty van, rides best loaded. i would consider going with the OEM replacement KYBs, "GR-2".

i put on a uhaul tube style class 3 hitch. works great with my yakima "swing daddy" bike rack. also have a yakima "sky box 18" on factory rails. everything works great for my needs.

any other questions on this topic i will be happy to help!

on another subject, we are taking a roadtrip/skiKation at the end of the month and would like to put in some aux usb/power sockets in the rear for the kids to plug in their devices into....anyone upgraded theirs? thoughts? ideas?

td1

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan towing a trailer question