Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan possessed! Flashing lights.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
sbtsboy25
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan possessed! Flashing lights.

I have a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan and am having a similar problem with the same thing but also different. All the interior dash lights (A/C, Radio, top navigation/temp area, and dash lights) are all flashing. Additionally, the headlights, turn signals, and rear lights are doing the same thing at the same time. When I pop the hood, the Low Beam relay is clicking away and have attempted to replace only to have same issue with new relay. Found another forum stating that if I were to turn key on (not start) the relay that was bad would get warm. Upon doing this the Blower Motor relay got warm. Very unsure the two are connected. Tonight I attempted to pull the negative on the battery for a few minutes thinking it might reset itself with no avail. This has been going on for about two weeks now, and the flashing did stop for about a week but started all over again. The strange thing is, if I turn the lights ON, the flashing stops all together and the dash lights stop also, acting as if nothing is wrong. This model does not have daytime running lights, and the lights themselves do not turn on simply because its dark. One final thought, to sum up what is happening in the cab: what lights that are controlled by the turning ON/OFF of the headlights are the ones flashing. Very confused with this issue and any additional sound advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by sbtsboy25; 03-10-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Sound like you are getting a feedback thru the circuits. You may need a shop to find this problem.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple things first. Grab a multimeter and check your battery static and running voltage. At the battery terminals with the engine off you should see 12+ volts. Start the engine and you should see 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Turn on the A/C rear defrost and headlights and you may see a slight drop but a quick recovery to the original voltage. If all looks good your battery, alternator, and voltage regulator circuit basic functions are ok.

Inspect the battery cable terminal clamps for corrosion. Make sure the clamps are securely crimped on the cables. There's been a rash of posts revealing cables coming loose from the cable clamps.

Inspect the PDC connections for corrosion or damage. Disconnect the negative battery cable first.

Last edited by Cougar41; 03-11-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Pmutalik2000

This used to happen to my 2000 caravan. It was due to a faulty security control module. The next time this happens press the disarm button on the remote and see if this fixes it.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 PM
fischandco

Sounds like a short in the light switch

Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 PM
tdidog
Professional

Any resolution here? I think our 2005 is doing the same thing, but I would call it flickering rather than flashing.

A DVOM on the battery wasn't the right tool to watch the voltage, I had to hook up our scanner and graph the voltage. Once I figure out how to attach pictures, I can show what is going on, but basically, the voltage and alternator load will fluctuate across a wide range. Voltage will swing from 12.2 (ish) to 14.5 (ish) and the load will swing from high 30%s to 0%.

THEN after a few minutes, it will mellow out and voltage will swing from 13.1 (ish) to 13.5 (ish) and load will swing from 10% to 0%.

Before it mellows out the Odometer and transmission indicator will flicker, but once it mellows out, the flickering stops.

Any thoughts? Is this common?

Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 08-052-12, DATED AUGUST 25,
2012, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE
REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.
SUBJECT:
Headlights Fail To Illuminate, Or Illuminate And Then Turn Off (X45 Lifetime Warranty
Extension)
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin is intended to serve as an aid in diagnosis and testing of the headlamp switch
assembly.
This bulletin involves removing and replacing the headlamp switch if necessary.
MODELS:
2005-2006 (RS) Town & Country/Voyager/Grand
Caravan/Caravan (U.S. and International
Markets)
2005-2006 (RG) Chrysler Grand Voyager/Voyager (International
Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built between March 1, 2004 (MDH 0301XX)
and November 30, 2005 (MDH 1130XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may describe one or both of the following conditions:
· With the headlamp switch in the ON position, both headlights fail to illuminate while
the park lamps remain illuminated.
· With the headlamp switch in the ON position, both headlights illuminate and then
extinguish while the park lamps remain illuminated.
NOTE: The customer may indicate that the condition is intermittent and can be
corrected if the headlamp switch is turned off and on.
NOTE: Always check VIP to verify if a vehicle is involved in a warranty extension. A
vehicle involved in this Warranty Extension will display an (X45) Headlamp
Switch message in VIP.
NUMBER: 08-008-13
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: February 13, 2013
DIAGNOSIS:
Many factors in addition to headlamp switch function may impact the behavior of the
vehicle lighting systems. This bulletin DOES NOT address the diagnosis of the following
behaviors (If any of these symptoms are present they must be diagnosed using the
diagnostics procedures available in TechCONNECT):
· Exterior or interior lighting that is reported to dim or flicker with engine idle speed.
· Dimming condition that occurs during normal operation from momentary spikes in
electrical loads, such as radiator fan initiation or accessory electrical draws (e.g.,
power windows, power seats, heated seats, etc.).
· Unanticipated illumination, or turning off, of the headlamps due to the Automatic
Headlamp System.
· Any condition associated with the operation of a single lamp in the interior or
exterior lighting system, including conditions affecting a single headlamp bulb.
1. Is the vehicle currently exhibiting the Symptom/Condition?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #2.
b. No >> Proceed to Step #4.
2. Does the Interior Lighting System functioning properly?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #3.
b. No >> This bulletin does not apply. Further diagnosis may be required.
3. Does the “Flash-to-Pass” feature operate properly (i.e., the high beams can be
activated by pulling and holding the turn signal lever towards the steering wheel)?
a. Yes >> Perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: The customer must be contacted in order to answer the following questions.
4. Does the customer indicate that the vehicle exhibits the symptom/condition?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #5.
5. Does the customer indicate that the Interior Lighting System functions properly?
a. Yes >> Proceed to Step #6.
6. Does the customer indicate that the “Flash-to-Pass” feature operates properly (i.e., the
high beams can be activated by pulling and holding the turn signal lever towards the
steering wheel)?
a. Yes >> Perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 0ZL671DVAC Power multifunction fold away mirror, gray
1 0ZL671J8AC Power multifunction fold away mirror, khaki
1 0ZL651DVAF Fog lamps, power mirrors, gray
1 0ZL651J8AF Fog lamps, power mirrors, khaki
1 1DW671DVAA Power mirrors, gray
1 1DW671J8AA Power mirrors, khaki
1 0ZL661DVAH Auto headlamps, gray
08-008-13 -2-
Qty. Part No. Description
1 0ZL661J8AH Auto headlamps, khaki
1 0ZL711DVAF Export LHD w/fog lamps, gray
1 0ZL711J8AF Export LHD w/fog lamps, khaki
1 0ZL701DVAF Export LHD, gray
1 0ZL701J8AF Export LHD, khaki
1 0ZL691DVAF Export RHD w/fog lamps, gray
1 0ZL691J8AF Export RHD w/fog lamps, khaki
1 0ZL721DVAF Export RHD, gray
1 0ZL721J8AF Export RHD, khaki
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Replace the Headlamp Switch. Refer to the procedures available in DealerConnect /
TechCONNECT> Group 08 - Electrical> 8L - Lamps and Lighting>Lamps/Lighting -
Exterior> Switch, Headlamp> Removal & Installation.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
tdidog
Professional

So Master tech, it sounds like the first thing I should do is call the dealer with my VIN and ask if there is an (X45) Headlamp Switch message in VIP with Warranty Extension.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sure, it couldn't hurt.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 PM
tdidog
Professional

They said it qualifies and they will order the part and get it in there next Thurdsay - hopefully. The hopefully is scheduling on my part, not theirs.

The SW was unenthusiastic to be helping someone, but he still did the job. Maybe they should put them in a box so they can't see the beautiful weather they are missing.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan possessed! Flashing lights.