Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 DGC, Vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 PM
NewVanDad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 DGC, Vibration at highway speeds

Been having numerous problems with my 2011 DGC crew since I purchased it new. at 10,000 miles now, the transmission issues have gotten much better since the recently installed software update. The engine mis-firing has still not been fixed, nor will Chrysler admit that there even is a problem. The most annoying issue I have had, is the vibration felt at highway speeds over 60 MPH. They finally replaced all 4 tires about 3000 miles ago, and the vibration got a little better, but it is still there. The steering wheel will shake, and all the seats in the van when, un-occupied will shake as well. The dealership, as well as Chrysler refuses to put anymore work into solving this issue. Other dealerships will not touch the tires or allignment, since I did not buy it there. I drive a ford focus to work on the same highway every day and do not feel a thing, so I have ruled out it being a bad road. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM
christheman
Amateur

Originally Posted by NewVanDad
Been having numerous problems with my 2011 DGC crew since I purchased it new. at 10,000 miles now, the transmission issues have gotten much better since the recently installed software update. The engine mis-firing has still not been fixed, nor will Chrysler admit that there even is a problem. The most annoying issue I have had, is the vibration felt at highway speeds over 60 MPH. They finally replaced all 4 tires about 3000 miles ago, and the vibration got a little better, but it is still there. The steering wheel will shake, and all the seats in the van when, un-occupied will shake as well. The dealership, as well as Chrysler refuses to put anymore work into solving this issue. Other dealerships will not touch the tires or allignment, since I did not buy it there. I drive a ford focus to work on the same highway every day and do not feel a thing, so I have ruled out it being a bad road. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Engine misfiring? Tire change?

Can you tell if it is engine RPM, or vehicle speed regardless of RPM? Does this happen when you are coasting at 60 MPH with your foot off the accelerator and cruise control off, or does it happen when your foot is on the accelerator and the engine is maintaining or picking up speed? I think more clues might help.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:56 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

I not sure if applies to you. theres a tsb or recall on the 3.6l newer ones came with issues. they need to replace the left head cause of issues. believe from miss firing.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they check the rims for warping, wheel alignment, frame alignment? Sounds like this problem is beyond Chrysler's ability to fix. A shock? When all else fails write a letter addressed directly to the CEO, Sergio Marchionne. It sometimes works.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:55 PM
DGCaravan
Rookie

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
I not sure if applies to you. theres a tsb or recall on the 3.6l newer ones came with issues. they need to replace the left head cause of issues. believe from miss firing.
+1

It sounds like a faulty cylinder head. From what I recall you will get a misfiring of cylinder # 2. You may need to take your van to a different dealership that has better techs who are able to diagnose your problem. Just don't expect Chrysler to help you if your van is out of warranty. Once they fix the engine, the vibration issue may go away.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 PM
NewVanDad

I checked the rims by jacking the vehicle up, and spinning them individually. I did not see any bends or warping. I did notice a small bit of radial runout, but that may have been from the car being parked for most of the day. I also took it out on the highway, and tried letting it coast without power. I did not notice a reduction in the vibration. As far as the misfiring. They admit that there is an abnormal vibration. First they said it was water in the gas, but then after a few new tanks of gas, they said that it was normal. The engine is trying to idle at the lowest possible RPM without stalling to get better fuel economy. I really don't buy that. They said there is absolutely nothing they can do without a code being thrown. Now I noticed when driving slow through my neighborhood, right after sitting all night, it is having a hard time maintaining a 10MPH speed. it keeps clunking through gears, and rythmically surging the RPM's slightly. This is really getting frustrating.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"They said there is absolutely nothing they can do without a code being thrown."

Techs willing to go beyond codes are few and far between these days. Add to that the sad fact the DRB system doesn't always produce a code when it should, stymies the whole process.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-24-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 PM
NewVanDad

Thankfully Chrysler gave me a free 100,000 mile warantee after all the problems I have had. Not sure if they felt sorry for me, or they just wanted me to go away, but atleast I feel a little better. I am just upset that a brand new car would shake like an old beater while sitting at the light. The salesman was pushing the fact that the new Pentastar 3.6 was the most techologically advanced, powerfull, smoothest running V6 Chrysler has ever made. yeah.. right. You would figure they would do everything they can to resolve the issue.

Quick Reply: 2011 DGC, Vibration at highway speeds