Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

badkey message

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Gaddyman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default badkey message

I recently purchased a 2010 dodge grand caravan sxt in April. I love this van but when I tried to crank it this morning I got a badkey message. Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It means something is getting/has gotten effed up inside the fob. I had a similar problem with my '08 when it was about 3 years old and unfortunately for my wallet the fix was taking it in to the dealership for a new key.

You may be able to get along by turning the key to the left (yes, the wrong way) when first putting it in and then trying to start the van (it worked for me) but I don't recommend this as a long-term solution.

The following users liked this post:
luissanchez74 (08-29-2024)
Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 PM
kallsop
Rookie

Presumably you have more than one key. Try your other keys. That should isolate if it is a problem with just one key, or the van ignition key module. My '08 needed a new ignition key module, changed under warranty.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Gaddyman

Unfortunately I bought it used and only have one key fob. But thanks for the info.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In this day and age of $100 - $200 keys, make sure you get 2.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need a Key most likely. But instead of buying 2 keys, I would recommend you to pay a little more and op for a Mopar Remote start Kit, comes with 2 keys.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Bram V7 Verhoeff
Default Badkey message on display Dodge caravan

Originally Posted by Gaddyman
I recently purchased a 2010 dodge grand caravan sxt in April. I love this van but when I tried to crank it this morning I got a badkey message. Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it? Thanks.
Had this today - replaced the 2032 coin-size battery (after having accepted that the key-module of 10-months would have to be replaced again ... so car was already at the garage but not yet under repair - today being Sunday). New batteries mean that the frequency operated button (fob) transmit the code to the remote lock, and the motor again, and car starts !
The fob is hyper sensitive when you carry it in your pocket - berry irritatingly locking/unlocking the dodge constantly- so batteries empty out quickly. So it showed ...

Old 12-29-2019, 02:10 PM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bram V7 Verhoeff
Had this today - replaced the 2032 coin-size battery (after having accepted that the key-module of 10-months would have to be replaced again ... so car was already at the garage but not yet under repair - today being Sunday). New batteries mean that the frequency operated button (fob) transmit the code to the remote lock, and the motor again, and car starts !
The fob is hyper sensitive when you carry it in your pocket - berry irritatingly locking/unlocking the dodge constantly- so batteries empty out quickly. So it showed ...
Your vehicle will start with a dead fob battery it happened to me this summer on a road trip noticing my fob range was getting weaker and neglecting to change the battery it finally died on a 3.5 hour road trip away from home. I manage to lock the van upon returning none of the buttons would work on the key fob I had to use the valet key to get into the van unlock the doors from the inside inserted the fob in the win module started the van and drove home. Replaced the battery the next day even with a push button start there's a way to start your vehicle with dead fob battery you need to use the fob to push the start button as it read the chip in the fob. If your van didn't start with a dead fob battery I would suspect a win module issue.

Last edited by Mopar340; 12-29-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 03:12 PM
luissanchez74

Curiously this does work, but what is the problem, the key module or the key itself? Thank you very much for the wise solution.

Old 09-01-2024, 12:55 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you having the same problem? If you are what is the minivan and did you check thru the dealer for any recalls.

Quick Reply: badkey message