Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

n00b needs WIN help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM
haldanz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b needs WIN help!!

Hey all, have an '08 GC that gave me a 'bad key' message on both of my fobs. Towed it to the dealer and they said 'needs new WIN we can't even communicate with the existing one. then we will program your old keys to the new WIN. That'll be $684 before tax"
i said " my research bears out that that cannot be accomplished, i would have to buy new fobs''

dealer says '' if thats the case a new fob is $186 before tax''

i say "eat a bag of _____, i'll order my own off of the interwebz"

They say "ok thats cool, call when you have the new fobs and come down and we'll program them"

SO. do i need to get an FCC# from the new WIN in order to purchase the right fobs? Can i order any new (never programmed) fob for my new WIN module? My GC is a base model SE with the three button fobs, so i assume i can order any new three button fob for it.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM
haldanz

come on guys! do i need an FCC# from the new node? does a WIN even have its own FCC#, or can i get any 3 button fob with any FCC# to pair up to the new node? really need some insight here! I know that if you order a fob for the factory WIN and have to get the new fob paired, the one you purchase HAS to have the same FCC# or at least part # as your old fob for your WIN/PCM to pair up to it. BUT, is the reverse true? When you install a new WIN, can I just use any new 3-button fob?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

99% of the time, when the WIN is replaced, the original keys can be programmed to it, no new keys are needed. Only if there is an issue with the key itself will you need to replace it. I am a dealer tech, I have replaced many WIN modules so I'm pretty sure it will work.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:49 PM
haldanz

Great! thanks for the reply! I figured when you start with a new WIN, you can basically start with any new key too. When i got the van 4 years ago, one of the keys had quit working after a few months. i didn't do my due diligence and fix it then and just continued to use one key only...lesson learned!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:25 PM
haldanz

p.s. they tried programming the old keys to the new WIN they installed yesterday, and it didn't work! Funny how both keys, AND the WIN were pooched...coincidence?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only had issues with the '10 model year and the occasional key. That is weird.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ask your dealer for a remote start kit. It comes with a WIN and 2 Keys. Parts should be about $300.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 AM
haldanz

Originally Posted by steak59
ask your dealer for a remote start kit. It comes with a WIN and 2 Keys. Parts should be about $300.
I did, those mopar kits are "discontinued and there are none on the shelves"...according to all the dodge dealers i called.

Another coincidence?

BTW i ordered a fob off of ebay. Just one, if they can program that one i'll get another two.

Last edited by haldanz; 08-15-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sometimes old keys will not program to the newest WINs. It's a compatability issue with newest version and oldest version.

There are no coincidences. If you are unable to do it yourself, then someone else must. They usually want you to pay them.

Quick Reply: n00b needs WIN help!!