Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

92 Dodge Caravan Strange Voltage issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 PM
teleman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dodge Caravan Strange Voltage issue.

I'm new to the DF. I have a 92 Dodge Caravan witht the 3.3l. My voltage is reading low with the van running. 12.3v. I have put a new alt on it, done the voltage regulator bypass kit and still have the same voltage reading of 12.3-12.5v with the van running. The resting voltage of the battery is 12.9-13.1v van off. If I use a 2nd battery that is not tied to the vans electrical, I get 14.5v with the van running. Basically running a charging wire from the alt to the 2nd batt only and the 12+ from the regulator. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Stick the test leads into the copper of the cables instead of touching the battery terminals and see what you get. You may have a voltage drop in an old terminal or your battery could be crapping out.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 AM
teleman

The battery terminals good. The battery has threaded post. I have narrowed it done to the 3 wires that is in the fusable link. 2 are solid red and the other is red/white. These 3 wires have to be connected to 12+ for the van to run. However i cant tell what else is all connected to these 3 wires. I do know that the R/W goes to 2 of the relays on the fender. The solid red goes to one of those relays also. It almost seems that i have a short to ground somewhere. But I would think if there is a short something blow or burn up.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yep, I remember those. We don't see that generation at all anymore, but it's what I started out on in 92 when I hit the door. What will throw you is the links will blow but the insulation on the outside can still look perfectly intact. Just get a good test light and work your way from one end to the other at different spots and you will find it. Maybe like every 2 or 3 inches.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM
teleman

Is there a way to test for a short while the van is running? I have checked with the van off and no short that I could tell.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:37 PM
teleman

Ok. So I have checked the resistance from ground wire on the battery to the alternator. I'm getting about 15ohms. Shouldn't it be closer to 0?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:46 PM
teleman

Well, I did figure out that on the negative wire disconnected from the battery. And the Pos. wire connected to the battery, I get 12.8v+ on the negative wire. Is that a sign of a short?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by teleman
Ok. So I have checked the resistance from ground wire on the battery to the alternator. I'm getting about 15ohms. Shouldn't it be closer to 0?
Should be less than 5. Less than 2 really. Make sure to have any wire you're checking for resistance disconnected from it's termination at both ends.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-03-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 92 Dodge Caravan Strange Voltage issue.