Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Grand Caravan 3.3 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Chazwel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Grand Caravan 3.3 Overheating

I have been reading about all the overheating issue on this site and have narrow my problem down to the radiator fans not working. I have read that the relay for this is behind the air filter assembly but I believe mine is in the fuse box under the hood, driver side, next to the battery and its a 40a square shaped fuse. Is this correct? I couldn't find one behind the air filter assembly. I still need to check the fans themselves to make sure they aren't the problem. What and how is the best way the check them? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Your fan relay is on the frame rail on the driver side. If you remove the air filter box assy and you will see it there. two 5/16 or 8mm screws.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your 2000 will be the same as this 97 Caravan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdIYm...feature=relmfu

Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Chazwel
Professional

Man ur not going to be this but after watching the video, I was thinking this will be a piece of cake. After cleaning the dirty oil off the frame rail I saw the holes where the relay is suppose to go, but no relay, no wire connector, no signs of re-engineering.
I had a mechnaic install a new radiator 2 years thinking he might of re-engineered it some how, but I really don't think he is that smart or why go thru the trouble. I am really at a lost for words, I have looked for the connector for 2 hours with no luck.

Any ideas??????????????

Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM
22mopar22
Banned

pretty hard for us to predict how someone may have farted around with your vehicle.
bring it to my shop and I'll give you FREE analysis of the problem

Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Chazwel
Professional

mopar if you were in houston, I would.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Chazwel
Professional

Putting in the shop, will let everyone know the outcome.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find the connection at the fan assembly. Follow that wire harness back till you come to the fan relay. I recall something about it being mounted near the driver's side headlight assembly on some model years. Not sure which.

Poked around a little and found this. Says it's behind the headlight. Course I found several sources that said on a 2000 GC it's right where the video states it is. Take your pick. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dodge-Rep...-caravan-1.htm

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-27-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Chazwel
Professional

Thanks Cougar, I found the same info on the net. I didn't pull the trigger on sending it to the shop. This is what I found. Thanks for all the help. I will attempt this tonight and report back.

RADIATOR FAN RELAY
The radiator fan relay is located below the left front headlamp module Radiator Fan Relay The headlamp module must be removed to access the relay.

REMOVAL
Open hood, disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the left side headlamp bulb from the headlamp housing. Refer to LAMPS - Headlamp Bulb Removal and Installation.
Remove the left headlamp module. Refer to LAMPS - Headlamp Module Removal and Installation.
Remove the cover over the relay.
Disconnect the relay connector Radiator Fan Relay
Carefully drill out the two retaining rivets.
Remove relay from vehicle.
INSTALLATION
CAUTION: The relay mounting location is designed to dissipate heat. Ensure the relay is properly attached to prevent relay "thermal" shutdown and relay damage, resulting in possible engine overheating.

For installation, reverse the above procedure using new rivets included with

Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Chazwel
Professional

The relay was behind the driver side headlight. Swap out relay, I used self- tapping screws, relay did not come with rivets. Rad fans worked for a couple minuites, now I am blowing the 40a fuse for the rad fan. lol, can't catch a break. Do you think I got a bad relay?

Signed, Lost Again.

Quick Reply: 2000 Grand Caravan 3.3 Overheating