Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New to Dodge - just bought an 07 GC - checklist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"To be fair, I didn't explain my point as well as I originally intended." There ya go. Thanks for filling in the blanks in the first post. Good info.

Last edited by Cougar41; 11-08-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cougar41
"To be fair, I didn't explain my point as well as I originally intended." There ya go. Thanks for filling in the blanks in the first post. Good info.
Thank you!

There is one quirk that the 41TE has that I wanted to give you a heads up on being that we are heading into the winter months. You might notice particularly when it is really cold out (below freezing) at times when you do a full but quick stop at a stop sign (meaning no waiting was needed for other cars) and press the throttle that the engine will rev and the transmission will suddenly lurch into gear. What this is the transmission was still in the process of getting to first gear I believe as a result of the transmission fluid being cold and thick. Every Chrysler product I have driven with this transmission and the very similar 42LE has done this since new. My mother forgets about this and complains about it every year. The tricks I have learned to resolve this is either to give the engine a minute or two of warm up time, slowing down more gradually to let it have the chance to change gears, or while I am slowing to stop manually put it in L around 10 miles per hour.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 AM
shuriken
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _Tom
If you haven't heard of ROCKAUTO, check them out online.
Thanks Tom. I have purchased from them before but I didn't even check to see if they had MOPAR parts.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:40 AM
shuriken

Originally Posted by 97 3.5 Intrepid
shuriken, the Napa Gold I used on it last time I changed it seemed to work great. The oil seemed to remain lighter longer. They have a great balance of flow and filtration, have excellent construction, silicone anti-drain back valve, a similar by-pass set up as the Mopar filter, and a thick canister.

Retraining I think is done via a computer. This should cover most questions concerning the 41TE transmission. http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
Sweet link - that helps a bunch. Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by 97 3.5 Intrepid
Coolant from my understanding is supposed to be good for 5 years/100,000 miles. It probably wouldn't hurt to flush it. I do not have experience with doing that job myself. I would follow your manual on what coolant to use. I know my parents 02 has the redish coolant in it which I believe might be the Dex-Cool which GM blames their intake gasket problems on. From what I can tell, it rarely if ever has had to have coolant added and has not at this time had any intake issues (if they have ever happened on a 3.3L I have never heard of it). My previous Intrepid (3.5L V6) used the green and it DID have an intake gasket problem. I've heard the best things about the yellow coolant and that is what my current Intrepid uses. One of the other people on here would probably be a better source on this topic.
I lost the intake manifold gasket on my 02 Chevy. That was sometime back but maybe a result of crappy gasket design and/or coolant...

Then, the heater control/selector (vacuum operated) crapped out and ingested a bunch of junk in the vacuum lines, so the selector does not work. And... I had the dealer flush the coolant system because I lost heat in the truck. They must have gotten some junk flushed out because some heat came back. I have to wonder about the GM coolant!

Old 11-12-2013, 04:12 PM
shuriken

Saw 2 technicians from the dealer at lunch today and pop-quizzed them on the transmission. They said they would service it with ATF-4 fluid - no flush, just drain and refill. I asked if I should change the fluid at 77k miles and they said "you're getting close."

That makes me think that if my van was serviced before they sold it, that they wouldn't have changed the fluid. A salesperson would have said, "hey Joe, give this van some service before we sell it." Joe then looks it over and says to himself, "hmm.. 77k miles... close, but not required yet." So van gets an oil change but not transmission fluid.

That's my thinking anyway. So it's on my checklist for sure, now.

Good news is I just put some nice tires on it and got to look at it while it was on the lift. Other than the CAT looking rusty, the underside looks great. Couldn't see any leaks or problems.

Was trying to determine if the transmission pan gasket was rubber or black RTV. Either way, it didn't look like it had been recently changed.

This shop is the only one I know of that I can look under my own vehicle. I may pay them to replace the fluid just because I can bring in the fluid and stand next to the vehicle and watch them do the entire job. If I don't do it myself, this is the next best thing...

Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 PM
zero10
Professional

A few of the later 3.8s are known for having an oil consumption issue. It doesn't affect all of them but until you get to know the engine in your van just keep an eye on the oil level, check it every fillup. A bad one can go through about half a litre per tank, that'll put you into dangerously low oil level territory in a hurry. Don't worry too much about it, but do check it frequently until you know that yours isn't one of the oil drinkers.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 AM
shuriken

Originally Posted by zero10
A few of the later 3.8s are known for having an oil consumption issue. It doesn't affect all of them but until you get to know the engine in your van just keep an eye on the oil level, check it every fillup. A bad one can go through about half a litre per tank, that'll put you into dangerously low oil level territory in a hurry. Don't worry too much about it, but do check it frequently until you know that yours isn't one of the oil drinkers.
Watching this now and have read a lot about it. A family member has a 3.3 that eats oil. I just changed the oil (5-20 conventional) and filter yesterday so I'm not exactly sure how it has been over the last 1k miles. I'll watch now.

I read some threads and one I recall reading mentioned that the shop disassembled the engine and found that the rings were aligned, perhaps allowing oil to pass into the combustion process. Wonder how long the cat lasts on an oil eater? Thought I saw something on changing the PCV(?) valve as well as a possible solution.

However, I saw far more information about how Dodge says it's normal and saw a lot more people asking questions and not receiving answers.

I think the next step is to do a drain/refill of the transmission, including a new filter, but I need to do more research on the "retraining" process.

Quick Reply: New to Dodge - just bought an 07 GC - checklist?