Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:44 AM
diesel.2784
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan

Hello, so I have had this problem for a while now and I think I have it narrowed down but I wanted to see if I could get other opinions before I went through with anything.

My van has an electrical problem. Every so often the information cluster will shut off for a period of time, the alarm set light will come on, sometimes the door locks will go crazy, and then sometimes it just won't start. I was sitting at the gas pump the other day and it decided it didn't want to stay running. So I had to push it into the gravel next to the gas station and when I came back the next day it still wouldn't start. Finally after 2 days it started. It only does it when it's warm out. Well it didn't do it all Winter so I assume the heat has something to do with it. I am pretty sure it's the body control module but I'm not a big mechanic so maybe someone else can help. Thanks

Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you think about the body control module. I would like you to try this first. Remove the cluster and drive the van. See if you still have a problems with a no start. I'm thinking that your cluster is taking the buss circuit down.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM
diesel.2784
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Before you think about the body control module. I would like you to try this first. Remove the cluster and drive the van. See if you still have a problems with a no start. I'm thinking that your cluster is taking the buss circuit down.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I am lucky in that there is junkyard close to me where I can get a body control module for 20 bucks. I almost wish my van would quit all together because it would be easier then. It doesn't do this enough to disconnect the cluster.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's not the BCM check the connector solder connections on the instrument cluster circuit board for cracks. A well known problem on 3rd generation 96-00 vans. It can effect the data bus and cause engine shut downs, no-starts and erratic instruments. It's a free easy fix.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan