Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 grand caravan A/C and radiator fan won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Maddyk408
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 grand caravan A/C and radiator fan won't start

We only drive this van about twice/three times a month. The last time we drive it the A/C worked perfect and have never had a problem with it before.
Today I started it up and drove it about half a mile down the street to the gas station to gas it up and air up the tires a little in preparation for a family outing for the day tomorrow. I noticed that the air wasn't working.
So, when I got home I checked the radiator fan and that wasn't running either. I checked the fuse for the radiator fan and the low relay that are in the fuse box and both of those are working.
So I know that there is a high relay and I think I've located it, but I cannot find any concrete evidence that this actually what I think it is. I've read stuff online suggesting it is, but there really isn't much.
I am still not sure if it is the high relay or maybe the temperature sensor?
So, can anybody help me here??

Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Maddyk408
We only drive this van about twice/three times a month. The last time we drive it the A/C worked perfect and have never had a problem with it before.
Today I started it up and drove it about half a mile down the street to the gas station to gas it up and air up the tires a little in preparation for a family outing for the day tomorrow. I noticed that the air wasn't working.
So, when I got home I checked the radiator fan and that wasn't running either. I checked the fuse for the radiator fan and the low relay that are in the fuse box and both of those are working.
So I know that there is a high relay and I think I've located it, but I cannot find any concrete evidence that this actually what I think it is. I've read stuff online suggesting it is, but there really isn't much.
I am still not sure if it is the high relay or maybe the temperature sensor?
So, can anybody help me here??
Per the service manual, if the radiator fan is not working then it can be either the fan relay, powertrain control module (PCM), coolant temperature sensor, defective wiring or a/c pressure transducer. Also, you didn't mention if you checked the refrigerant level.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 PM
jammarakc

Need help on 2008 T&C touring with the 3.8. Had a radiator leaking so I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. After I install it I took it for a test drive and noticed that it was running hotter than I remember. When I got home ,with the engine still running, I open the hood and noticed that the cooling fan was not on. I found both relays and checked them ,out of the car, with battery voltage and the relays clicked and contacts closed. I also applied batt. voltage to the output contacts of both relays and the fan operates as it should, low and high speed. Also the low speed did click on, after a few cycles, of the A/C being turned on. I'm thinking that something is wrong and that may be why I had replace the rad. But don't know where to go from here. Thanks in advanced.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by jammarakc
Need help on 2008 T&C touring with the 3.8. Had a radiator leaking so I replaced it with a new one from the dealer. After I install it I took it for a test drive and noticed that it was running hotter than I remember. When I got home ,with the engine still running, I open the hood and noticed that the cooling fan was not on. I found both relays and checked them ,out of the car, with battery voltage and the relays clicked and contacts closed. I also applied batt. voltage to the output contacts of both relays and the fan operates as it should, low and high speed. Also the low speed did click on, after a few cycles, of the A/C being turned on. I'm thinking that something is wrong and that may be why I had replace the rad. But don't know where to go from here. Thanks in advanced.
Per the Service Manual, you can check the following possible causes:
Fan relay, powertrain control module (PCM), coolant temperature sensor or wiring defective. Or defective a/c pressure transducer.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 PM
jammarakc

Would low refrigeratant in the A/C cause the cooling fan not to operate?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

No, it will not cause the cooling fan to be inoperable.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:28 AM
petergreenan

Do you have power at the relay at any of the relay terminals? If not check power feed to relay.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:33 AM
petergreenan

If you have power at the relay the pcm is most likely not turning the relay on. so then check you temperature sensor.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:34 AM
petergreenan

If the sensor is failed (check reading with scan tool). then replace it. If its good check wiring between the sensor and pcm then pcm to relay.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:47 PM
jammarakc

I do have power to the relay. The relay does not seem to be getting the opposite side input, I guess from PCM. I took to dealer this morn. to have them run a diagnostic test. Hate to spend the jack but tired of messing with something I don't have the tools for. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 grand caravan A/C and radiator fan won't start