Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: New 18" SRT8 Replica Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017 | 10:14 AM
J Wikoff
|
Rookie
Default New 18" SRT8 Replica Wheels

I put on these 18" Grand Cherokee SRT8 replicas with General Altimax RT43 tires the other day while I was also changing the oil and swapping the Monroe load leveling shocks that squeaked. The original tires have 90k on them and were getting prone to hydroplaning and loosing grip in general, although not quite down to the wear bars yet. She's dirty, please forgive me.

Old 11-09-2017 | 11:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Looks great!

Old 12-21-2017 | 11:40 PM
ReDeepRT

Looks very nice. I wonder how much they weigh? I called up a dodge dealership parts counter and they told me the weight of the stock 17" wheels found in the GC R/T are 23 lbs.

Old 12-22-2017 | 01:24 PM
J Wikoff
|
Rookie

The wheel and tire combo weighs 53 lbs, according to the shipping quote. I think I saw the weight listed for the wheels before at 25 pounds, maybe?

Old 12-22-2017 | 01:53 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Any benefit on the handling side?
I always think about getting a newer van like this, then I drive one and get severely disappointed by how horribly they drive.

Old 12-22-2017 | 03:22 PM
ReDeepRT
Red face

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Any benefit on the handling side?
I always think about getting a newer van like this, then I drive one and get severely disappointed by how horribly they drive.
You might want to look into the RT and GT. Not only do they look nicer, but they have a lower suspension. I don't know if that is the extent of what Dodge has done with it. I was told that a lot of the suspension tweeks that VW put into the Routan was later incorporated by Dodge after 2011. If they weren't it might provide a few parts for Caravan owners to use in their vehicles. I don't know suspension components beyond the nomenclature.

What I will say is that I routinely drive twisty smooth roads like the famous Kelly Drive in Philadelphia and my vehicle is more controlled than my previous ride (A Pilot with the best reviewed performance tires I could find) but not by much. I wouldn't be surprised if it is that torsion beam rear suspension and the non-performance tires. I believe the RT has the same LRR tires meant for fuel economy that the others have. My vehicle gets pretty bad gas mileage already.

Old 12-22-2017 | 03:27 PM
ReDeepRT

Originally Posted by J Wikoff
The wheel and tire combo weighs 53 lbs, according to the shipping quote. I think I saw the weight listed for the wheels before at 25 pounds, maybe?
Sounds about right. The Dodge parts guy said the 19" were 28 pounds.

The Chevrolet Eco forged 17" wheels have an offset of +45 (GC is 40) and bolt pattern that is 5x114 I believe. They would need to be rebored to 5x127 which is a rare bolt pattern common in modern Jeeps. Most wheel sites I have seen don't offer wheels in that bolt pattern.

The Cruze eco wheels weigh in at 17.8 lbs and they are stronger than a cast wheel that you would find at that weight. The downside is that they are shiny and ugly. I would see about having them rebored and powdercoated black. The cost to having them rebored seems to vary from $25 to $125. Even at $125 they would still be cheaper than any forged wheel that I have seen.

Old 12-22-2017 | 03:33 PM
ReDeepRT

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/top...e-are-massive/The Dodge Journey R/T has larger brakes and runs 19" wheels. I wonder if 1) GC can use those larger brakes and if they would fit with OP's 18" wheels?

The lesser Journey comes with 17" wheels and the bigger brakes do not fit....but 18's? Perhaps they do.

Last edited by ReDeepRT; 12-22-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: links of Journey brake thread.
Old 12-22-2017 | 04:24 PM
ReDeepRT

NVM a 2014 touring L should have the HD brakes already.

Old 12-22-2017 | 04:31 PM
J Wikoff
|
Rookie

This '14 Touring L rides much more controlled than out old 07 did, and these 18s do firm it up a little more. I haven't noticed them being lowered, but the RT/GT/S does ride firmer with stiffer shocks.

The van's HD brakes are pretty good, in my opinion. Good bite, confident feel.

Last edited by J Wikoff; 12-22-2017 at 04:36 PM.