Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan - Car locks with sliding doors open

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 12:18 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R.J. Adams
Probably... not sure. That isn't our concern. It's the car being "locked" while doors are still open. I'd rather the car not lock if doors are open... thats what we're used to with the other car.
But you're Honda would immediately lock once the doors shut correct?
Failing to see the difference if the doors lock when open then stay locked once they're shut or if they lock immediately once they close.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:13 PM
R.J. Adams
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokesxt
But you're Honda would immediately lock once the doors shut correct?
Failing to see the difference if the doors lock when open then stay locked once they're shut or if they lock immediately once they close.
The doors would remain open.... until we realize they are still open, because the Dodge honks like it's locked, even with the doors wide open.

And the doors have been left open over night, because we'd hear it honk like the previous vehicle, indicating that the doors are all shut.... our previous vehicle wouldn't lock or honk, so if, in the dark, before bed, we click the lock button, if we didnt hear the honk, we'd know a door was left open, and could shut it, then try locking again, and it would honk.

The Dodge still honks regardless, so it's a hassle.

Help me understand why it would matter that a door would eventually lock when shut, if it was left open and accessible to all because a door is left open.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by R.J. Adams
The doors would remain open.... until we realize they are still open, because the Dodge honks like it's locked, even with the doors wide open.

And the doors have been left open over night, because we'd hear it honk like the previous vehicle, indicating that the doors are all shut.... our previous vehicle wouldn't lock or honk, so if, in the dark, before bed, we click the lock button, if we didnt hear the honk, we'd know a door was left open, and could shut it, then try locking again, and it would honk.

The Dodge still honks regardless, so it's a hassle.

Help me understand why it would matter that a door would eventually lock when shut, if it was left open and accessible to all because a door is left open.
I trying to understand why it's so difficult to make sure your doors are closed before leaving your vehicle........

Old 08-12-2019, 10:58 AM
R.J. Adams

Originally Posted by smokesxt
I trying to understand why it's so difficult to make sure your doors are closed before leaving your vehicle........
That is a completely different question than what you've been insisting on this entire time...

Short answer? Kids.

Clearly the goal is to ensure all of the doors are shut, and that happens most of the time. But, in the times that it isn't, having the audible feedback (or lack of, if the horn didn't honk), is a UX issue that, if possible, we'd like resolved.

Like you're insisting, making sure the doors are shut is also a key goal of ours... that is why we asked the question in the first place. Because the honk and the locking, even with the doors open, gives us the opposite of the response we'd want.

And we got that answer: Check with the dealership if they can make that change.

What SHOULD happen isn't always what DOES happen... and having proper user feedback is key in those instances where the desired outcome isn't the case.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Guess I've never found it difficult to do a quick walk around, then lock my doors.
I mean I generally have to unload kids and such anyway, so I'm already on either side of the van, so a quick glance before hitting the lock button solves any issue that may arise?

Old 09-30-2019, 11:04 AM
HighSierra

2018 does same thing. Also when you close the side doors they lock.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:59 PM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I also got a VW Jetta it will also lock the doors with them open but won't give you the audible horn signal till the doors are all closed including the trunk or hood.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan - Car locks with sliding doors open