Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Caravan Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 03:00 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is starting to make sense. I do remember first noticing it when I plugged an electric tea kettle into the power inverter. Combined with moisture and what I've already been told here and by Dodge Service I think what I was originally told about the module is accurate.

Now I just need to come up with the funds for another diagnostics and repair which was was estimated at $450.

Mainstays 1.7-Liter Plastic Electric Kettle, White

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...hite/471494848

Old 10-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow you seriously overload the inverter it was only design to charge cell phone,small electronic devices and run small game consoles 150w max. Some of the bigger games would overload it's capacity but never 10 times it's rating like a kettle 1500w. It was never designed to handle power tools or any type of appliances you likely cause some serious damage to the inverter. Hopefully the overload took the brunt of load and burnt out saving the rest of the inverter circuit bring it to an electronic repair shop they should be able to tell you if it can be repaired or it's totally kaput

Old 10-06-2019, 06:50 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur

What about an all-in-one printer? I have been using an AiO printer plugging it into that outlet also, but am not able to find the power rating for it in its specs. It doesn't seem to have any issues using that outlet however you've got me curious about it.

Where in the vehicle is the overload located that your suggesting taking to an electrical repair shop?

Old 10-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Mopar340
Veteran

Originally Posted by clicketysplit
What about an all-in-one printer? I have been using an AiO printer plugging it into that outlet also, but am not able to find the power rating for it in its specs. It doesn't seem to have any issues using that outlet however you've got me curious about it.

Where in the vehicle is the overload located that your suggesting taking to an electrical repair shop?
AiO printer load is minimal around 100w if you notice they come with an adapter that transform 120v down to 32 or 12v depending on the model just like a laptop or game console they don't run at nominal voltage. The overload should located on the board with heat sink material.

Last edited by Mopar340; 10-07-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:56 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur
Default Update 10-11-19

Brought vehicle to Dodge today for diagnostics and as previously suggested it was the inverter which has rust, indicating moisture. Was informed that the Inverter module needs replacing with the wiring kit for it (P/n 68137873AA) not which has been discontinued.

Was also told the battery has a bad cell. Not sure how this became possible since it is not the original battery that was manufactured with it. Was informed on several jump start occasions by AAA battery truck that it's not the original and was probably replaced due to another electrical issue. Vehicle was purchased CPO with 21k miles in May of 18.

Not sure what to do if there continues to be a drain after I have the work done.

Last edited by clicketysplit; 10-11-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Mopar340
Veteran

Brought vehicle to Dodge today for diagnostics and as previously suggested it was the inverter which has rust, indicating moisture. Was informed that the Inverter module needs replacing with the wiring kit for it (P/n 68137873AA) not which has been discontinued.

Was also told the battery has a bad cell. Not sure how this became possible since it is not the original battery that was manufactured with it. Was informed on several jump start occasions by AAA battery truck that it's not the original and was probably replaced due to another electrical issue. Vehicle was purchased CPO with 21k miles in May of 18.

Not sure what to do if there continues to be a drain after I have the work done.
First off you need to replace the battery is more than likely that your battery is now insufficient hold a charge. Plus prolong use in this condition could cause your alternator to compensate for the voltage lost and on today automobile with all the power accessories could cause it to be overworked and overheat into eminent failure. The battery dead cell could've been cause by the stressful discharge that happened under the inverter meltdown.

The reasons why that battery was changed out could vary you bought the van used was it a private sale or through a reputable dealer? Some individuals will swap out parts prior to selling a vehicle such as battery or tires. Some used car dealers could inadvertently do the same I know someone who had bought a convertible at used car lot and the roof tonneau cover didn't fit he went back told the saleman he just went on the lot to a same model car took the tonneau cover out the trunk and exchanged it so now it become the next person problem whom ever buy that car.

There's a date code heat printed onto the casing of every battery check it out to see if it's newer than 2017 if not you know you've got an old battery.

Last edited by Mopar340; 10-12-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:41 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mopar340
First off you need to replace the battery is more than likely that your battery is now insufficient hold a charge. Plus prolong use in this condition could cause your alternator to compensate for the voltage lost and on today automobile with all the power accessories could cause it to be overworked and overheat into eminent failure. The battery dead cell could've been cause by the stressful discharge that happened under the inverter meltdown.

The reasons why that battery was changed out could vary you bought the van used was it a private sale or through a reputable dealer? Some individuals will swap out parts prior to selling a vehicle such as battery or tires. Some used car dealers could inadvertently do the same I know someone who had bought a convertible at used car lot and the roof tonneau cover didn't fit he went back told the saleman he just went on the lot to a same model car took the tonneau cover out the trunk and exchanged it so now it become the next person problem whom ever buy that car.

There's a date code heat printed onto the casing of every battery check it out to see if it's newer than 2017 if not you know you've got an old battery.

Good advice. Thank you.

Battery is a Mopar with a 2/18 date sticker.

On yesterday's visit to Dodge they also mentioned the inverter is unplugged, most likely by the previous Dodge dealer that did the first diagnostics and probably why the M36 fuse doesn't blow now.

Since the damaged inverter is now unplugged awaiting parts it should be okay to replace the battery?

Last edited by clicketysplit; 10-12-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Mopar340
Veteran

Good advice. Thank you.

Battery is a Mopar with a 2/18 date sticker.

On yesterday's visit to Dodge they also mentioned the inverter is unplugged, most likely by the previous Dodge dealer that did the first diagnostics and probably why the M36 fuse doesn't blow now.

Since the damaged inverter is now unplugged awaiting parts it should be okay to replace the battery?
Yes with the inverter unplug it's okay to replace your battery.

Mopar batteries has a pro rated warranty however they might deny the claim on the misused of the inverter.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Caravan Electrical Issue