Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Caravan Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 11:36 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Caravan Electrical Issue

Multimedia Module had a meltdown. Would not have replaced until I know what caused it to melt down.

Other symptoms:

Headlights slightly flutter
Radio drains battery down to the point it needs to be jump started.

Brought to Dodge, pulled the codes with their scanner and said there was an error with the front left fog lamp and window control switch but nothing significant. Paid to have rear multimedia module diagnosed because the button in the console will not light up when pressed and the 12v plug in the rear behind the door does not work. M15 fuse for the Mm panel shorts out. They said that there is corrosion on the board and that it needs replacing at a cost of up to $450. When asked what happened to it they said without further diagnostics they couldn't speculate.

Was also told that he battery in it is not the original as it pre-dates the vehicle's manufacturer date indicating to me that there was a known issue prior to purchasing certified pre-owned with 21k on the odometer.

On one of the recent occasions that I had to have a AAA battery truck come out to jump it, the alternator. battery and starter tested without issues. AAA tech also noticed the replaced battery.

Last edited by clicketysplit; 09-20-2019 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Text correction
Old 09-21-2019, 11:20 AM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

What is the trim package? GT, SE, SE Plus, or SXT?

It definitely sounds like a short to voltage problem that can be narrowed down with the right wiring diagram.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:08 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur
Default Sxt

The trim level is SXT.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:26 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Besides the TIPM, the only thing that could be tying all these together is the wiring harnesses and even that will depend on how they're routed. Are you sure fuse M15 is the correct one? The wiring diagram shows M15 powering the vacuum pump relay, rear view mirror, upper bank switch (power inverter on/off switch), instrument cluster, shift lever assembly and steering control module.

If that is the correct fuse number, there's a good possibility of the wiring harness being damaged somewhere in the engine compartment near the TIPM. Remove the battery and TIPM and inspect the harness. Look for open breaks in the loom and/or evidence of rodent nests as well as inspect any grounds you see.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:39 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur

I could be wrong about the fuse number as it's been a little while since I was last in the fuse box. I can tell you that whatever fuse it is that powers the rear media panel keeps shorting every time it's replaced. Dodge said it was due to the meltdown on the module causing a shortage.

What is TIPM?

Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 AM
GumbyRT
Captain

Originally Posted by clicketysplit
I could be wrong about the fuse number as it's been a little while since I was last in the fuse box. I can tell you that whatever fuse it is that powers the rear media panel keeps shorting every time it's replaced. Dodge said it was due to the meltdown on the module causing a shortage.

What is TIPM?
TIPM = Totally Integrated Power Module - it’s the engine bay fuse box.

M10 is the fuse that powers the media modules. It also powers the hands free module and the left vanity lamp. The easiest way to test these circuits is going to be kind of a headache.

1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2) Unplug everything powered by the fuse - the hands free module (remove trim panel under steering wheel - it’s mounted on the left side below the headlight switch), left vanity lamp (in driver side visor - remove visor assembly to unplug) and all the media modules (primary and any additional video screens).
3) Connect negative battery cable.
4) Install new 15A fuse in the M10 slot - if it blows immediately, it’s a wiring harness problem.
5) If it doesn’t blow immediately, start hooking up each accessory one at a time and check the fuse after each one - when the fuse blows, that module is the one causing the problem. To verify it’s the only one, unplug it, replace the fuse and plug in any remaining modules to make sure they aren’t also causing problems.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:46 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur

Dodge told me the reason the fuse for the rear media panel keeps blowing when replaced is because there is corrosion on the module.

When you say under the headlight switch do you mean the turn **** next to the dimer rollers and do I disconnect the visor, hands free control from there or do I have to take apart the sun visor on the driver's side?

Just so you know what I'm referring to as the media panel (not exactly sure what it's appropriately called). It's located behind the driver's side slider next to the 3rd row seat bottom. I had to hold the 2nd row seatbelt out of the way to take this photo. By the way, the 115v wall type plug does not work and the button light for it in the front center console between the Hazard and Taction buttons does not come on when pressed in, but everything else on the panel seems to be working -USB's, cigarette lighter type socket etc. Have not tried the HDMI input or RCA jacks though, never really had the need to..

Last edited by clicketysplit; 09-22-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:36 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Yeah - totally different than what I thought you were needing to know. I was looking at the wiring for the video screens.

I'll post again when I have more info for you.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:32 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

So unless the dealer removed the module, I don’t know how they can identify corrosion as being the cause. The inverter module (powers the AC outlet and is what’s activated by the switch on the console) is behind the quarter panel. I didn’t find any definitive info on its replacement so I don’t know if it’s possible to remove it by just removing the panel with all the connectors or the whole quarter panel needs to be removed.

Either way, the inverter module has a dedicated circuit from the TIPM that’s powered by fuse M5 (25A). If that’s the fuse that keeps blowing, here’s what you need to do:

1) Unhook the inverter module and inspect the terminals for corrosion. Clean if needed.
2) Make sure fuse M5 is good.
3) Connect a test light between pin 4 (red wire - power) and pin 8 (brown wire - ground). The ignition doesn’t have to be on - this circuit receives direct battery voltage. Does it light and stay on? If yes, the power and ground circuits are good and the inverter module needs replacement. If it lights and goes out/blows the fuse (or if the fuse blows before you can put a test light on it), there is a short in the wiring harness.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:48 PM
clicketysplit
Amateur

M5 fuse is good. Just double checked the fuse box under the hood. Fuse that would keep blowing is M36 indicated in the fuse box diagram as PWR Outlet # 3 which is now also good as are M6 & M7 (other power outlets 1&2). I have not replaced this fuse since the diagnostics, so Dodge must have done something to stop it from shorting. First time I brought it to Dodge about the media panel 115v not working they said it was the fuse and replaced it, but then as soon as I would press in the 115v button in the console it would short. Mentioned this to Dodge and that is when they went into further diagnostics.

Checked many of the other fuses and didn't find any shorted.

Would also like to mention at this time that now when I start the engine the climate control comes on automatically at LO with the fan at high speed.

Last edited by clicketysplit; 09-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 Caravan Electrical Issue