Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Caravan -- ran out of gas, now it keeos shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 02:36 AM
MinivanmanNJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan -- ran out of gas, now it keeos shutting down

2003 Grand caravan sport 3.8L So I ran out of gas. I put gas in it and it kept starting and then shutting off right away. It finally started, drove a mile then shut down again. AAA towed me home. Next day it starts right up. I drive it a mile or so and shuts down again. Today I put a new fuel filter on. I eave it run parked for like 20 mins, I take it for a drive and it shuts down again. I waitied and kept trying to start it but nothing. I walk home, come back a few hours later and it starts right up. The engine light did come on for the first time when it started.. P0340 " Camshaft postioning sensor A circuit bank 1 or single sensor" .Maybe someone else has had the same issue ? For the mile it drives there is no issue, Its normal. And today is the first time the CEL came on. I'm leaning toward a fuel pump but don't wanna go thru all that if its not that. I saw a video about a auto shut off relay. I switched the relay but it didn't start. Any help/info would be appreciated !

Thanks !!

Old 03-03-2020, 08:52 PM
MinivanmanNJ

136 views but not one reply. Can someone help me please ??? TY

Old 03-04-2020, 12:23 AM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

I think it’s probably coincidental that this started after running out of gas - you’re getting a cam sensor code, so that’s where your focus should be; but feel free to check fuel pressure when it dies to see if it’s good or not.

First, make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

P0340 is a signal circuit code meaning the PCM is not detecting the CMP signal or that it’s only seeing it intermittently. Possible causes include the sensor, the wiring and connectors, and the PCM.

The cam sensor is at the front of the engine (passenger side) in the timing cover. With the key on, engine off, use a meter and check for 8 volts on the brown/pink wire. The other 2 wires - dark blue/dark gray (signal) and dark blue/dark green (ground) both return to the PCM, so checking continuity has to be done with the PCM connector unplugged for accuracy (more on that later).

If you have 8 volts at the sensor, start the engine (if it will). Engine running, gently pull on the connector at the sensor to check for loose connections - if the engine doesn’t die or stumble, wiggle test the harness from the sensor to the PCM - if one spot causes the engine to die/stumble, remove the looming and tape to check for damaged wires.

Also at the front of the engine are 2 large, rectangular connectors - one brown and one black - these are known for having corrosion problems so separate and inspect them. Clean if possible.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:12 AM
MinivanmanNJ

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
I think it’s probably coincidental that this started after running out of gas - you’re getting a cam sensor code, so that’s where your focus should be; but feel free to check fuel pressure when it dies to see if it’s good or not.

First, make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

P0340 is a signal circuit code meaning the PCM is not detecting the CMP signal or that it’s only seeing it intermittently. Possible causes include the sensor, the wiring and connectors, and the PCM.

The cam sensor is at the front of the engine (passenger side) in the timing cover. With the key on, engine off, use a meter and check for 8 volts on the brown/pink wire. The other 2 wires - dark blue/dark gray (signal) and dark blue/dark green (ground) both return to the PCM, so checking continuity has to be done with the PCM connector unplugged for accuracy (more on that later).

If you have 8 volts at the sensor, start the engine (if it will). Engine running, gently pull on the connector at the sensor to check for loose connections - if the engine doesn’t die or stumble, wiggle test the harness from the sensor to the PCM - if one spot causes the engine to die/stumble, remove the looming and tape to check for damaged wires.

Also at the front of the engine are 2 large, rectangular connectors - one brown and one black - these are known for having corrosion problems so separate and inspect them. Clean if possible.
@GumbyRT thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate it. Well this is the first time the cel came on since i ran out of gas which was early september. i let it sit after that thinking i needed a fuel pump. i know for sure the battery terminals were not tight. Since it was sitting a few months i just slapped a batterry in just to test drive it after i put the fuel filter in. I will tighten the terminals before i do anything. My question is whats the easiest way to check fuel pressure when it dies on me ? ill more than likely be alone but if i need to have someone follow me to help i can. When it died the other day i tried to listen for humming at the gas fill tube (a friend said to try that) but i didnt hear anything. If you can let me know the easiest way to check fuel pressure id appreciate it. ill take it for a drive asap and try that first. Thanks again!!

Old 03-04-2020, 08:20 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

There is a test port for a pressure gauge on the fuel rail but I can’t recall how difficult it is to get at.

The picture below shows the location of the port with the intake removed - you’ll have to look and see if you can get one on it. Note that it’s on the transmission side, near the ignition coil.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:14 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
There is a test port for a pressure gauge on the fuel rail but I can’t recall how difficult it is to get at.

The picture below shows the location of the port with the intake removed - you’ll have to look and see if you can get one on it. Note that it’s on the transmission side, near the ignition coil.

That is not the fuel pressure test port, that is a pulsation damper, both my 2001 and 2003 have one. If there is a test port it will be on the left side of the engine under the throttle body air inlet.

Here is a picture of the test port on my 2001, the port was eliminated from later models, my 2003 doesn't have a test port.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:26 PM
MinivanmanNJ

@GumbyRT Do I need to remove the whole intake manifold to access this ? If yes is there an easier way ? Can I just remove the fuel filter line that goes to the engine and crank the engine and see if I get fuel coming out ?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2020, 10:31 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Originally Posted by georgef
That is not the fuel pressure test port, that is a pulsation damper, both my 2001 and 2003 have one. If there is a test port it will be on the left side of the engine under the throttle body air inlet.

Here is a picture of the test port on my 2001, the port was eliminated from later models, my 2003 doesn't have a test port.
Such is the problem with the drawings in service info - they show you how things come apart but don’t provide enough detail to determine the difference between a damper and a test port. After googling some photos, it’s pretty clear that’s what it is.

Thanks for the correction.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:19 AM
MinivanmanNJ

=@GumbyRT Sorry im confused I didn't see the fuel pressure port image until I replied and asked about removing the intake manifold.

You say my 03 wont have a fuel pressure port ? If not, where do I look or what can I do ? Should I just remove the fuel line from the filter and crank it like I mentioned before ? I'll look for this pressure port later this afternoon,

Thanks !

Last edited by MinivanmanNJ; 03-05-2020 at 01:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2020, 10:31 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

How does it go about "shutting down." Is it a neat turning off of the engine, perhaps with a bit of rumble? Is it a coughing for about 10-20 seconds fighting to stay alive? Or does it lose acceleration power and take a bit to really finally die? Or, does the electric cut out to everything such as the radio (which obviously you would have mentioned, but I'm including it for future readers of the forum)?

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Caravan -- ran out of gas, now it keeos shutting down