Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Caravan -- ran out of gas, now it keeos shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 11:43 AM
MinivanmanNJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IDon'tGiveARam
How does it go about "shutting down." Is it a neat turning off of the engine, perhaps with a bit of rumble? Is it a coughing for about 10-20 seconds fighting to stay alive? Or does it lose acceleration power and take a bit to really finally die? Or, does the electric cut out to everything such as the radio (which obviously you would have mentioned, but I'm including it for future readers of the forum)?

Hey

it shuts down instantly. No sputtering or anytning. Honestly i havent noticed if the radio has been on or not.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 PM
MinivanmanNJ

Originally Posted by georgef
That is not the fuel pressure test port, that is a pulsation damper, both my 2001 and 2003 have one. If there is a test port it will be on the left side of the engine under the throttle body air inlet.

Here is a picture of the test port on my 2001, the port was eliminated from later models, my 2003 doesn't have a test port.

@GumbyRT i dont have a fuel pressure test port but i do have see a clip i can disconnect. Its where the test port would be in the image above you sent me. Is it safe to remove that there and crank the engine when it dies on me ? or is there a better location ? i cant seme to find a good video. ill attach a pic of what i mean.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 PM
MinivanmanNJ
Old 03-05-2020, 10:23 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

You can disconnect the fuel line from there or at the filter, but be prepared for fuel to spray out of it. Even if the fuel pump is the reason it’s dying, there will be residual pressure.

If you’re going to check for fuel flow, have a container ready to catch the fuel. This will prevent gas from spilling everywhere and you can also do a quick volume test. The general rule for volume is 1 pint in 30 seconds, so if the pump primes the line for 2 seconds when the key is turned on, you can multiply whatever you catch by 15 for a glimpse of what the pump is delivering (example - 2 oz in 2 seconds times 15 = 30 oz - a good pump should be able to deliver much more than that, although it’s more accurate to run the pump for 5-10 seconds by jumping the fuel pump relay).

However, a pump can deliver good volume but low pressure, and vice versa. I recommend finding a kit like the one here (some auto stores may rent them) - https://www.harborfreight.com/mercha...kit-64939.html - it’s relatively cheap and will allow you to tee into the line so it can be tapped for a pressure gauge. If you do this, DON’T use the worm drive clamps - get clamps specifically for fuel injection - they are on the shelf at most auto parts stores.

That said, you should still be looking at the cam sensor and wiring, but I understand why you’re wanting to check the pump.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:15 AM
MinivanmanNJ

@GumbyRT but if i remove the fuel line after the pressurized gas drains and i turn the key. if the pump is bad then rhere should be no gas correct ? and how about this kit or hf has another for $25 thanks for all the help!!https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-Unive...xoCtzgQAvD_BwE

Old 03-06-2020, 02:16 AM
MinivanmanNJ
Old 03-06-2020, 07:20 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

That kit will work fine.

Immediately after shut down there will be residual pressure no matter if the pump has died.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Lets KISS, If you are getting a P340 code, Lets start with that. Camshaft sensor is mounted on the front of the motor. Check your connection and if that is okay. Replace the sensor with a mopar part not aftermarket. The other problem could be a bad flex place. The tone wheel or windows don't line up to the crankshaft sensor which will throw either a cam or crank sensor code. On some early fuel system there wasn't a port to check fuel pressure. Would need to install a fuel line tool from mopar to check fuel pressure.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:22 AM
MinivanmanNJ

@GumbyRT I sent you a dm about what I did today. I tried to upload a video clip but it wouldn't let me. Can you check the dm when you get a chance ? thanks

Old 03-14-2020, 10:12 AM
Rockdoc
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While this isn't about a Caravan the symptoms sound identical. About 10 years ago my late wife had a 1998 Mercedes C230. She used to drive about 4 miles home from work everyday. After a mile or two it'd shut down exactly as you describe. I'd drive out in my Caravan to pick her up and it'd start and run just fine. I tried replacing the fuel filter with no success so I brought it into a shop that specialized in German cars. The owner called me about two hours later to say the car was fixed! He also said I was very lucky he found the fault so quickly. It seems he had the car running up on the rack while he was underneath and he heard a almost noiseless click when the engine shut down. It was a failing relay and when he replaced the relay the car ran fine. The engine would shut down because of the relay and after a few minutes the relay would reset itself and the engine would once again temporarily run fine.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Caravan -- ran out of gas, now it keeos shutting down