Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Dodge Caravan Liftgate Issues - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 10:20 PM
dmb5675
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Caravan Liftgate Issues - Please help

Hello Everyone. I have an issue with a power liftgate on our 2008 dodge caravan.

Started a few months ago when the liftgate would go like halfway down then jerk and go back up. Then the power liftgate stopped working but worked manually. Then about 2 weeks ago it started where we could'nt even open it manually all the time. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Initially I checked the chain on the liftgate, greased it, etc and everything seems good with that. Then I swapped out the latch and actuator motor in the liftgate. Worked a little but then did the same thing after it opened a few times. I'm going to swap in another one to make sure but doubt I have 2 bad latches. Also, it was beeping a time or two even when it didn't open but it's not doing that at all. So right now, it stands that I can only open it from the inside in the access hole and it takes a little bit to do it that way. And when I close it to the first notch, it's not sucking it in like it used to. I've checked the fuses. What else could it be? The pinchpoint strips? Something else? I apprecaite any ideas.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:29 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

In most cases the Latch assy is the cause. But sometimes you could have a pinch wire in the circuit. Maybe in the rear panel Also make sure you clear all codes.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:20 AM
dmb5675

I appreciate the response. I have swapped out two latch assemblies so I'm pretty sure that's not it. I have done some more digging and I realize there are pinch sensors and this power liftgate module. Do you know where the module is located? Lastly, I realize now too that the back gate isn't "cinching" as they say it as in drawing it in that last pull. And if I hit the button in the back inside the liftgate, it doesn't beep or nothing. I did grease that chain and maybe something got pinched. or maybe I have a bad switch or control module. Just nerve wracking for sure.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:59 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you replacing the latch assy that is inside the lift gate? That would be the one to replace. Also how are the lift gate props because if they are weak, it will not allow the lift gate to stay open. It would just drop back down. The motor assy is inside the driver side D-pillar.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:15 AM
dmb5675

Originally Posted by master tech
Are you replacing the latch assy that is inside the lift gate? That would be the one to replace. Also how are the lift gate props because if they are weak, it will not allow the lift gate to stay open. It would just drop back down. The motor assy is inside the driver side D-pillar.
I have replaced the latch assy inside the liftgate. Actually tried 2 used ones to make sure. Right now, once you close the liftgate, it won't open. Not even manually. The handle cable is attached to the latch assembly and seems to be working when I pull the handle. Looks like it triggers a microswitch. But won't open by hand. I don't even care about the power liftgate at this point. Just want to be able to open it by hand. Maybe something is crazy in the PCM. We have had issues with that before. I can't figure it out.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Dodge Caravan Liftgate Issues - Please help