Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

What about an AWD Challenger.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM
MarkMark6464
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about an AWD Challenger.

Don't laugh. So we know that most likely there will be a convertible challenger i due time, which is sweet. But what about All wheel drive? A few years of the R/T charger had all wheel drive. Think it could happen for challenger? Cause that'd be perfect. Oh, and do you really think the convertible is worth waiting for or say screw it and get the hard top? Thanks

Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What about an AWD Challenger.

You want to make this fat, heavy coupe, a few hundreds pounds heavier and a few thousands dollars more expensive?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while they have the mechanical aspect of an AWD challenger pretty much wrapped up since its being used in the LX cars, it could be done, but you have to consider the market that they are competing in..and when you do, there is no point for an aWD challenger. the challenger is meant to compete with the mustang and camaro, and the challenger is a muscle car/pony car (the lines have really blurred over the last few decades), and there is no "need" to add the weight and cost to the car since no other vehicle in the market has that option. i suppose that they could offer a special edition model with AWD which might then force GM and Ford to follow suit, but i would be AMAZED.

like, more amazed than if the challenger offered a turbo 4...

Old 06-25-2008, 10:43 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Too hard to get the car sideways and all crossed up if AWD

Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

you know, i thought that...but i was screwing around with the laser the other day, and it got into some loose crap along the side of the road and got a bit slippy...

Old 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM
MarkMark6464
Professional

Fat Heavy coupe heavier. Ha! People dont' care. Was the charger not ment to be a "fast muscle car"? And it was served AWD, and it handeled a lot better, and was not much different 0-60 because it can actually hook the track. Was there a "need" to make the Charger AWD? Good points you guy got and i see what your saying, but I live in colorado, and in winter, i do not want to have to drive 5 mph everywhere, but hey. I guess thats the price you pay for having a bad-*** ride.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

but keep in mind, that while the charger is a performance minded sedan, it is still a sedan and there are other cars in its market with AWD...the AWD system was originally designed for the 300 and magnum, IIRC, and the charger benefitted from that to compete in its market, but there is NO AWD entry in the challengers market.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MarkMark6464

Fat Heavy coupe heavier. Ha! People dont' care. Was the charger not ment to be a "fast muscle car"? And it was served AWD, and it handeled a lot better, and was not much different 0-60 because it can actually hook the track. Was there a "need" to make the Charger AWD? Good points you guy got and i see what your saying, but I live in colorado, and in winter, i do not want to have to drive 5 mph everywhere, but hey. I guess thats the price you pay for having a bad-*** ride.
People do care. Luckily, the looks of this thing outweigh (no pun intended) the amount of mass this thing has. If it was anything else, ALL you would hear is, "4100 lbs, 4100 lbs"... Add AWD and you're talking 4,400 lbs and 3-4k more on the price tag.

I say let's knock a few hundred pounds off this fat *** first, so it can turn.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:24 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

at the non-dodge sites, all im already hearing is "4100lbs...4100lbs.."

a friend of mine took this picture last weekend...

he only saw it run once and it ran 13.39...im guessing that the owner hasnt had it for very long, as 13.30s is a pretty average time for the other 6.1 cars...with some practice it should be into the low 13s...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2745/6A837277D56B48DFABF6222EB98B7CBE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say that's not too bad for a fat ***! On the plus side this car isn't going to ride like a buckboard wagon like the Mustang. People keep ragging about 4100 lbs. Get over it. It's a real car that can be enjoyed for long drives andyou won'tbe sick of after an hour behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: What about an AWD Challenger.