Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

WORST exhaust mistake ever!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 PM
remme
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WORST exhaust mistake ever!

I have on 09' r/t 6 spd. I swapped in OBX long tubes with the optional catless midpipes, deleted my resonators and installed two SS moroso spiral flow mufflers and WOW I get complimented everywhere I go. Its such a unique and muscular sound. ALAS THE SPIRAL FLOWS ARENT KNOWN FOR QUALITY AND ONE OF MY BAFFLES BROKE LOOSE AND THE RATTLE COULD BE HEARD AROUND THE WORLD! I spent about a week investogating different muffler/exhaust setups on 5.7l mopars and decided to replace my beloved spiral flows with some 16" powersticks from classic chambered mufflers inc. The helpful sales rep told me that the 20" sticks would be a better choice and he had them for immediate shipment. I received them a short few days later and were impressed by the design and engineering of them, they are quite interesting. I was excited to have them installed and upon doing so BARF the absolute worst sounding exhaust IVE ever heard EVER! Not to totally dis the muffler or company, the car did sound fantastic at idle and when cruising you could barely hear them. Experienced absolutely no drone whatsoever at any rpm...so thats a plus right?! Unfortunately you have to use the gas pedal in combustion engines to aquire forward momentum and thats where the powersticks on my set up failed miserably. I can best describe any mild acceleration as sounding like a dog pre-vomit and at WOT, though they succeed in getting LOUD....it sounded like an elephant with a case of morning beer sh*ts. And thats me being delicate about it. Again, Im not blaming the muffler or the company because Ive heard these mufflers sound amazing, I even bought one and customized the exhaust on my K7 GSXR1000 (which sounds amazing)..Just on my particular set-up (having no cats/resonators) it sounded like i had straight pipes on a dying cat....Ive never been more unhappy driving my car ever. Long story short, the Moroso's are back on and im willing to replace them every 6 months for the rest of the cars life because I like them so much...Anyone else have exhaust horror stories??!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Most people say that the Hemi loses power without the cats, Maybe a pair of high flow converters and the chambered mufflers would sound better? I personally prefer Magnaflow myself. Superior flow and a nice deeper rumble.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:57 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

Heartthrob exhaust using four straight-through "flowpack" mufflers, think small glasspack.

Kinda sad you don't dig the powersticks. They sound good on my father-in-laws '68 Vette with headers and a hot-rodded small-block.

Attached Thumbnails WORST exhaust mistake ever!-1053010.jpg  

Last edited by jdpartsman; 07-14-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
remme
Professional

not sure how something would lose power with less back pressure, maybe it would change where the power band is so its higher in the rpm range so it feels less powerful? My car with the tune and all the other stuff feels well faster then it did prior to any modifications. The powersticks sounded like garbage. Like the sound of a fat lady's butt cheeks slapping together if she got up to fast. The spiral flows are the best sounding reso's I've ever heard. There's a big difference between a 68 corvette w a modded engine and an 09 challenger (the main being I wish I had the corvette, ha).

Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Your sound descriptions have me rolling on the floor!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lxman1
Most people say that the Hemi loses power without the cats, Maybe a pair of high flow converters and the chambered mufflers would sound better? I personally prefer Magnaflow myself. Superior flow and a nice deeper rumble.
I agree with lxman. Personally a set of Magnaflow 14" Mufflers or a set of Flowmaster 40's would probably have your car sounding pretty nice. I just had 14" Magnaflows installed on mine with 3" custom bent stainless tail pipes, and no resonators. I paid $586 for everything out the door (labor, parts, tax, etc...) Everything is stainless and best of all Magnaflow offers a lifetime warranty on their mufflers. I listened to both the Flowmaster 40s and the Magnaflows while my car was up on the lift and I chose the Magnaflows because they are stainless and have the lifetime warranty. The Flowmaster 40s sounded good but they are aluminized and painted black, and I might just be wrong, but I think stainless will last longer.

Last edited by Shibby927; 07-20-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:38 AM
10ChallSRT8

For the Hemi equipped Challengers, Corsa catbacks are used quite abit by tons of folks. I use a Solo catback only because I got a great deal on it via a group buy. Except for the OBX long tubes, I never heard of any of the exhaust components you chose for your ride. I didn't know Moroso made exhaust components. You will get better results with something designed for and tested on modern Hemi equipped vehicles that other folks with a car like yours use and like.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM
remme
Professional

So your opinion is be like everyone else....boring. I went back to my original spiral flow set up and get compliments everywhere I go. Getting the car dyno'd in about a months time. Lets see how she does.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:02 AM
10ChallSRT8

Originally Posted by remme
So your opinion is be like everyone else....boring. I went back to my original spiral flow set up and get compliments everywhere I go. Getting the car dyno'd in about a months time. Lets see how she does.
If your original setup was so damn awesome, why ya replace it in the first place? LOL. My opinion is Boring? Dude, you put a muffler on your car because it sounded good on your motorcycle and you're surprised it sounds bad? You want to do things on your own and not take in any advice from others. That's a recipe for fail and laughter at the track.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 PM
maka
Amateur

That was ignorant to say his post was boring... he was giving some insight

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WORST exhaust mistake ever!