Need suggestions on sound - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Challenger
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions on sound

Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestions on sound

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 AM
escoo
escoo is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 8
Default Need suggestions on sound

So I知 about to get a 2015 Dodge Challenger rt and I want some kick to it.. what would give me the best sound if I upgrade? my exhaust, headers, or a camshaft? I値l eventually have all 3 done but for my first few months I値l go with one... I want like a deep growl
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2018, 11:26 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 51,180
Default

Only one of those three that will actually affect the sound you hear, is the exhaust itself......
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2018, 11:33 AM
jkeaton's Avatar
jkeaton
jkeaton is offline
Site Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 23,329
Default

Check this place out. My son installed a cat back and it sounds awesome.

http://www.blastinbob.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=24
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
escoo
escoo is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Only one of those three that will actually affect the sound you hear, is the exhaust itself......
Really? I thought if u changed the headers and get it tuned it adds not only power but sound as well?... also If I get it cammed doesn稚 it make that guzzling sound lol
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2018, 12:14 PM
escoo
escoo is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Check this place out. My son installed a cat back and it sounds awesome.
Ok thanks! I値l check it out.. my buddy has a camaro ss wit a borla atak, I can稚 ride around with him stock lol gotta go big or go home

http://www.blastinbob.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=24
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:31 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 51,180
Default

Originally Posted by escoo View Post
Really? I thought if u changed the headers and get it tuned it adds not only power but sound as well?... also If I get it cammed doesn’t it make that guzzling sound lol
The rest of the exhaust is REALLY effective, so, not much change no matter what you do in front of it. Changing the cam won't change the sound of the exhaust in any event. Might give that lopey idle, but, not sure that is something you actually want/need on a newer engine.

Keep in mind, your engine has multiple displacement system, AND variable valve train, so, cam changes are a LOT more complicated than they used to be...... (not to mention the proper tune for the PCM, so it will actually run decent.)
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 PM
jkeaton's Avatar
jkeaton
jkeaton is offline
Site Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 23,329
Default

Put on a decent catback and be done. You are talking lots of money for cams. Headers really won’t do anything. Factory manifolds flow pretty well.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2018, 06:02 PM
escoo
escoo is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Put on a decent catback and be done. You are talking lots of money for cams. Headers really won稚 do anything. Factory manifolds flow pretty well.
Ok thanks for the info! I値l keep you guys posted I appreciate the knowledge
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2018, 06:04 PM
escoo
escoo is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
The rest of the exhaust is REALLY effective, so, not much change no matter what you do in front of it. Changing the cam won't change the sound of the exhaust in any event. Might give that lopey idle, but, not sure that is something you actually want/need on a newer engine.

Keep in mind, your engine has multiple displacement system, AND variable valve train, so, cam changes are a LOT more complicated than they used to be...... (not to mention the proper tune for the PCM, so it will actually run decent.)
Ok thanks for the knowledge!! It was helpful I値l jus stick with an exhaust.. happy new year drive safe!
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:20 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 51,180
Default

Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Put on a decent catback and be done. You are talking lots of money for cams. Headers really won稚 do anything. Factory manifolds flow pretty well.
They do????? Friend of mine has a 2014 Charger R/T with the Hemi, and I about dropped my jaw when I saw that ****-poor manifold design. Those SUCK! The passages are tiny, and they all dump into the same skinny little chamber..... I thought the design was horrid...... We installed full length headers, and the power difference was AMAZING. Of course, the cats weren't there any more either.......... (but, don't tell anyone.....)
 
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need suggestions on sound


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: