Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

ANYTHING BUT RICE RIGHT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ANYTHING BUT RICE RIGHT?

id say buy the stang, but one of my friends moms has an rx8 and it is pretty sweet too.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:31 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

I thought we'd established that I have a slight preference for American cars a long time ago. But I recognize that the foreign guys have something to offer also. The thing to keep in mind is that the USA invented the concept of V-8 power and rear drive wrapped up in sporty but manly sheet metal. No one else is going to beat us at that game. Most foreign sporty cars tend to rely on technological wizardry rather than brute strength in order to go fast. We make some decent enough cars in that league, but I think thats more the turf of the Japanese cars. Both approaches are going to lead to some fast and sweet cars, but theyre gonna be pretty different. Its just a question of preference.

Still, the Z a trend? Those came out in either '69 or '70. Like it or not, the Z is a classic, if not quite as much as the 'stang.

I might lean towards the stang if not for the challenger...

Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
THE STUD
Rookie

ORIGINAL: grungerockjeeper

I thought we'd established that I have a slight preference for American cars a long time ago. But I recognize that the foreign guys have something to offer also. The thing to keep in mind is that the USA invented the concept of V-8 power and rear drive wrapped up in sporty but manly sheet metal. No one else is going to beat us at that game. Most foreign sporty cars tend to rely on technological wizardry rather than brute strength in order to go fast. We make some decent enough cars in that league, but I think thats more the turf of the Japanese cars. Both approaches are going to lead to some fast and sweet cars, but theyre gonna be pretty different. Its just a question of preference.

Still, the Z a trend? Those came out in either '69 or '70. Like it or not, the Z is a classic, if not quite as much as the 'stang.

I might lean towards the stang if not for the challenger...
wait what is this z car your talkin about? i thought u were saying an rx8, which is a mazda, which is actually a ford. and if you don't know, what is this z car yoru talkin about the 350z?
we americans invented nearly every kind of vehicle you see today, cars, muscle cars, trucks, suv's, vans. We invented all the technology that you see as well, from the v8 to fuel injection to vvt to mds, etc. All the technology they use on their little cars, WE INVENTED. like i said, what do they offer we didn'tinvent first? and all those technological terms they throw around mean nothing when you look at them. their just stupid names for nothing

Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You made a generalization about all foreign cars implying that they cannot be or become a classic, so he simply brought up a Japanese car that is a classic and has been around longer than most car lines which is the Z seriesthat started with the 240Z which was released in the US in 1970. As far as the RX line is concerned it has been around since 1968 with the US debut in 1970 with the R100 and later that year the RX-2 was released as a '71 model. In Road Test magazine the RX-2 was their 1972 import car of the year. Both of these cars are classics and have a large fan base. I myself am not a fan of them or hardly any other foreign car, but that doesn't change what they are.

You mentioned GM having a 10/100,000 warranty, when was this? GM currently has a 5/100,000 warranty and they use to be 3/36,000 as was Ford. Dodge currently has the pathetic 3/36,000 warranty that has been the most common from the US automakers. Dodge use to have a 7/70,000 warranty which is what my SRT-4 has and before that for about a year they had the 7/100,000 warranty, but before that it was the typical Detroit 3/36,000 warranty. The Korean car manufacturers like Kia and Hyundai have 10/100,000 warranties.

American car companies have been given a bad wrap, but part of it is their own fault. When the Japanese car companies came here they had a long uphill battle against the big 3 and the all American Americans. The American companies had a huge advantage and knew it seeing the Japanese companies as little to no threat what so ever, so they continued on as usual. To succeed the Japanese companies had to cater far more to the consumer and be as inviting and helpful as possible, so when it came to customer service and warranty repairs they were the most attentive and compliant. The American companies didn't change and most still haven't, they try to deny fault and resist warranty repairs. This is mostly up to the individual dealerships and is mostly their fault and not the car companies fault, but either way it is seen as being the car companies fault. This is, in my opinion, one major reasonhow and why the American car companies have gotten such abad wrap and why the Japanese car companies are now flourishing. The main stream press is another major reason, they're not going to attack the ones that pay them the most.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
THE STUD
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

You made a generalization about all foreign cars implying that they cannot be or become a classic, so he simply brought up a Japanese car that is a classic and has been around longer than most car lines which is the Z seriesthat started with the 240Z which was released in the US in 1970. As far as the RX line is concerned it has been around since 1968 with the US debut in 1970 with the R100 and later that year the RX-2 was released as a '71 model. In Road Test magazine the RX-2 was their 1972 import car of the year. Both of these cars are classics and have a large fan base. I myself am not a fan of them or hardly any other foreign car, but that doesn't change what they are.

You mentioned GM having a 10/100,000 warranty, when was this? GM currently has a 5/100,000 warranty and they use to be 3/36,000 as was Ford. Dodge currently has the pathetic 3/36,000 warranty that has been the most common from the US automakers. Dodge use to have a 7/70,000 warranty which is what my SRT-4 has and before that for about a year they had the 7/100,000 warranty, but before that it was the typical Detroit 3/36,000 warranty. The Korean car manufacturers like Kia and Hyundai have 10/100,000 warranties.

American car companies have been given a bad wrap, but part of it is their own fault. When the Japanese car companies came here they had a long uphill battle against the big 3 and the all American Americans. The American companies had a huge advantage and knew it seeing the Japanese companies as little to no threat what so ever, so they continued on as usual. To succeed the Japanese companies had to cater far more to the consumer and be as inviting and helpful as possible, so when it came to customer service and warranty repairs they were the most attentive and compliant. The American companies didn't change and most still haven't, they try to deny fault and resist warranty repairs. This is mostly up to the individual dealerships and is mostly their fault and not the car companies fault, but either way it is seen as being the car companies fault. This is, in my opinion, one major reasonhow and why the American car companies have gotten such abad wrap and why the Japanese car companies are now flourishing. The main stream press is another major reason, they're not going to attack the ones that pay them the most.
well, it's really hard to every say that a "line" of cars is a classic. in other words, none are classics if their different models of cars. Mustang is mustang, rx8 is not rx2 or rxwhatever. a Classis maybe to a few people, the general public knows nothing about any rx classics or z classics. they know about mustang, camaro, maybe challenger/cuda. still today, most people dont knwo what an rx8 is, but you say mustang, and their like you lucky kid you.
and did you miss all those commercials when GM had the 10/100000? do you have a tv, there were like hundreds of them, maybe they've changed it recently, but for a while they had the 10/100000. And yes those kia/hyundai have those, but that's because their so krappy that they need them. i knoew two people who had to replace 3 engines apiece to 100k. Another person I knew had 7 transmissions go out. 7!!!!!!!!! to 100k. so don't be too proud of that warranty thing.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

[quote]ORIGINAL: THE STUD

well, it's really hard to every say that a "line" of cars is a classic. in other words, none are classics if their different models of cars. Mustang is mustang, rx8 is not rx2 or rxwhatever. a Classis maybe to a few people, the general public knows nothing about any rx classics or z classics. they know about mustang, camaro, maybe challenger/cuda. still today, most people dont knwo what an rx8 is, but you say mustang, and their like you lucky kid you.
and did you miss all those commercials when GM had the 10/100000? do you have a tv, there were like hundreds of them, maybe they've changed it recently, but for a while they had the 10/100000. And yes those kia/hyundai have those, but that's because their so krappy that they need them. i knoew two people who had to replace 3 engines apiece to 100k. Another person I knew had 7 transmissions go out. 7!!!!!!!!! to 100k. so don't be too proud of that warranty thing.
Well then by that logic, the F-series ford trucks cant be a classic and neither can the CJ Jeeps. And yes I mean the Nissan Z. Whether you like them or not they are classics. Anyone who knows performance cars will know what they are as well as the RX-8. True, the Mustang is a household name but then anyone not living in a cave knows what that is. And I say anyone who gets ANY serious performance car whether its a 'stang, RX, Z, challenger, etc is a lucky kid. Same goes for a real 4X4 like a Wrangler, Ram, toyota FJ, etc.

I have to wholeheartedly agree on those hyundais and kias. You can watch them fall apart in peoples driveway. One reason to offer that kind of warranty would be to build confidence in a shoddily made car...But then again, you still see a LOT of ChryCo's stuff running around from the days of themandatory 7/70 warranty.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:53 AM
THE STUD
Rookie

this is the classic you guys like? well um, guess we don't have the same tastes

[IMG]local://upfiles/49615/3E7B55B42CF646EE9ABF13EB6EAD8AFF.jpg[/IMG]

here's a classic

[IMG]local://upfiles/49615/5343C1420F554AC3B98BAF6A1C314062.jpg[/IMG]

that z car is like a vw beetle mated with an old porsche, then got stretched. yuck. Same year those two cars. one is a classic, one is, well, maybe important to a few people. sorry but classics are popular, if their not popular, their probly not classics, that's what makes them classics. can't just say it for fun and wish it. maybe a few people like them, but not the general masses, sorry

Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

ORIGINAL: THE STUD

this is the classic you guys like? well um, guess we don't have the same tastes

[IMG]local://upfiles/49615/3E7B55B42CF646EE9ABF13EB6EAD8AFF.jpg[/IMG]

here's a classic

[IMG]local://upfiles/49615/5343C1420F554AC3B98BAF6A1C314062.jpg[/IMG]

that z car is like a vw beetle mated with an old porsche, then got stretched. yuck. Same year those two cars. one is a classic, one is, well, maybe important to a few people. sorry but classics are popular, if their not popular, their probly not classics, that's what makes them classics. can't just say it for fun and wish it. maybe a few people like them, but not the general masses, sorry
Thats the one. Both are classic rides. Now just for clarification, if I were the karate kid and you were Mr Myogi telling me to 'choose', Id ****** the keys to the 'stang--assuming those were the exact 2 cars.

Actually, the Z is pretty popular. Popular enough that during the Z's hiatus, Nissan was selling fully remanufactured 240's like that one for near $30K a pop and they couldnt keep up.

And i TOTALLY disagree with you saying that being liked by the masses makes something a classic. In factits just the opposite.If that were true, then ford tauruses and toyota camries would be classics.Truth is the masses are just sheep that have no taste or knowledge of what theyre buying. Thats why bland watered down blah things prevail in numbers. Look at what colors are most picked on cars: White, beige, and grey. The camry is like the best selling car here. Budwieser is the best selling beer. No talent hacks like the backstreet boys and michael bolton win grammies.

The only thing that keeps something of real quality such as Mustang GT's, micro brewed beer, and rock made by true artists like Tool and Dinosaur Jr alive is the passion of those of us who know quality and refuse to accept garbage. Old school muscle cars and evensports carsare only classics because there are those of us who know that every car out there is aimed at one of 2 people: Average Joe, who basically wants an appliance. Make it reliable, make it affordable, and make it something he doesnt have to think about too much and he's happy. But there are those of us who demand more. Being the most popular or best seller or even having the best repair or safety record doesnt make a car great. Its when a car becomes a lifestyle, when it becomes a part of the owner and vice versa. When simply nothing else will do but that car.Thats when passionand desire take overyour buying decision instead of the bean-counting dollars-and-cents approach.Like the Harley guys say--"If you have to ask, you'll never know." Thats what I tell my grey cammaccord-owning friends who dont get why I obsess and grin likea kid at Christmas every time I see a tricked out jeep, chopped and channeled '40 Ford, tuned out Supra, or cherry classic mopar. They're non-enthusiasts and they will never understand.

If you dont like imports, fair enough. Outside of nomads, vettes, and t-birds I think every other car from the '50s looks like a chrome drenched luxury barge and the styling is laughable. Most car nuts dont get my perspective on that any more than I cant get why you automatically write off anything but american iron. To each his own. Whatever your tastes are, it really doesnt matter. As long as you're coming from a passion for cars then I can get behind you on that level at least.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:31 AM
THE STUD
Rookie

wish there was actual interesting news about the challenger so we wouldnt have to have history wars, lol. Oh well, I love the stang, and until the challenger rolls out, the stang is simply amazing.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Im behind you 100%. I do like the stang also, but Im a mopar guy when it comes down to it. If Ford would just bring back the old school style bronco, they'd have 2 vehicles I wouldnt mind owning instead of the stang being the lone ranger...

Quick Reply: ANYTHING BUT RICE RIGHT?