Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Wat r the symptoms of ESP/BAS shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Mrwray
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
Is your Charger throwing a CEL, during normal operating conditions?
I just put new cats on last week, I cleared my DTC codes and my check engine light has stayed off and the car has been running good until this morning. When I left for work it was 52 degrees outside, the car started acting up like it did and the CEL came back on. It seems watever it is it does it when the air temperature is really cool. The only other thing I can think of ther than the exhaust would b my cold air intake. Could tht somehow b the problem?? I'm really stumped now

Old 05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

The only thing your CAI system could really fault out is if your IAT sensor may be defective. Unplug the IAT sensor and carefully remove it, it could be damaged. Replacements are only $20-25.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

The only thing your CAI system could really fault out is if your IAT sensor may be defective. Unplug the IAT sensor and carefully remove it, it could be damaged. Replacements are only $20-25.
Is the IAT wat clips into the intake air tube? I have a K&N cold air intake equipped. How can u tell if the IAT sensor is bad when u look at it?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

That's the one. Just look to see if the end of (looks like a little ball) is intact. Did you check to see what CEL is currently?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

That's the one. Just look to see if the end of (looks like a little ball) is intact. Did you check to see what CEL is currently?
I did look at the diagnostics, it indicated " lost communication with ECM/PCM" three different times. I don't exactly know wat tht is meaning,but since I have put the cats on it's no longer indicating catalyst efficiency bank 1 or catalyst efficiency bank 2 like it was.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:04 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Okay, under the hood near the passenger side firewall, you may or may not have a cover for your ECM (some model years didn't come standard with the cover) yours being an '06, you should have one. Just remove it, by popping the two pins out. Inside you'll find your ECM unit, there will be three wire harnesses, check to make sure they are all properly locked into place, especially the harness on the far right.

Your O2 sensors were basically telling your ECM that with the extra volume of free air flow due to less restriction, it was outside its "happy" range. That's happens with certain after market LT headers occasionally. That's why most owners with modified systems use the Diablo to simply disable the O2 Ppsensors.

Originally Posted by Mrwray
I did look at the diagnostics, it indicated " lost communication with ECM/PCM" three different times. I don't exactly know wat tht is meaning,but since I have put the cats on it's no longer indicating catalyst efficiency bank 1 or catalyst efficiency bank 2 like it was.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Mrwray
Rookie

Okay, under the hood near the passenger side firewall, you may or may not have a cover for your ECM (some model years didn't come standard with the cover) yours being an '06, you should have one. Just remove it, by popping the two pins out. Inside you'll find your ECM unit, there will be three wire harnesses, check to make sure they are all properly locked into place, especially the harness on the far right.

Your O2 sensors were basically telling your ECM that with the extra volume of free air flow due to less restriction, it was outside its "happy" range. That's happens with certain after market LT headers occasionally. That's why most owners with modified systems use the Diablo to simply disable the O2 Ppsensors.
Ok I will check tht out, something is obviously out of wack since the same code keeps popping up. Would the IAt make tht code pop up or does it sound like it's the actual ECM? I feel like u r helping me narrow down the problem and I thank u for it. I will check back with wat I find

Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

[QUOTE=POWER SEDAN;2509228]Okay, under the hood near the passenger side firewall, you may or may not have a cover for your ECM (some model years didn't come standard with the cover) yours being an '06, you should have one. Just remove it, by popping the two pins out. Inside you'll find your ECM unit, there will be three wire harnesses, check to make sure they are all properly locked into place, especially the harness on the far right.

Your O2 sensors were basically telling your ECM that with the extra volume of free air flow due to less restriction, it was outside its "happy" range. That's happens with certain after market LT headers occasionally. That's why most owners with modified systems use the Diablo to simply disable the O2 Ppsensors
I Pulled the IAT and everything looks ok but can't tell if it's bad, should the connection b facing a certain way? Right now the connector is facing with the red clip up. I looked at the ECM, all connectors feel ok, there are 3 connectors and a forth bottom tht doesn't have a connector. I don't know wat tht means.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I'm going to look at mine tonight, after work, those prongs are all color coated, then I'll let you know what I'm getting at. I've seen 06 models with bent prongs the clips, mostly from the owner trying to jam a JET chip in the slot, which is a extremely tight fit. Are you the original owner, how long have had this problem since you've owned your Charger?

Your IAT sensor isn't the problem, you would receive a completely different fault code.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Mrwray
Rookie

I'm going to look at mine tonight, after work, those prongs are all color coated, then I'll let you know what I'm getting at. I've seen 06 models with bent prongs the clips, mostly from the owner trying to jam a JET chip in the slot, which is a extremely tight fit. Are you the original owner, how long have had this problem since you've owned your Charger?

Your IAT sensor isn't the problem, you would receive a completely different fault code.
Yes I am the Original owner, I bought the car new in feb. 2007. The mods I've added r the superchip, K&N cold air, and the flowmaster super 10 exhaust "then" with the cats removed, and in tht order. All the mods were added pretty close to one another the first part of 2008, the car started acting like this a lil later on in the year but not very often like it is now. I called the Tulsa dealership today which is one of the better dealerships and explained wat the car is doing and told them tht the DTC code "U0100 lost comm with ECM/PCM" keeps being repeated. They told me tht it could b the PCM going out or one of the several sensors gone bad.

Quick Reply: Wat r the symptoms of ESP/BAS shutdown?