Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Are k&N filers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are k&N filers worth it?

I have a 2011 Charger SE, and I'd like to get what I can for mpg and power with simple additions. I've never used the washable K&N filters before. They claim increased power and mileage, do they actually work?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Their a great filter in regards of convenience of self-cleaning maintenance. However you're not going to notice a mpg or hp gains, these LX plarform vehicles just have to much curb weight, among other reasons as well.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

Thanks for the info! What are good mods to start with? I'm not looking to build a race car or nothing, but I drive a fair distance to work and I'd like to get as much mpg as I can.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

The first mods I installed were mopar headers and highflow cats, magnaflow exhaust, and K&N CAI. That's when I clocked my best mileage ever, usually 28-29 highway. I swapped out internals now, enabled MDS, so now it's completely different, but those numbers are based off an '06 RT.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

I have the 3.6, so headers aren't an option for me, but the high flow cat sounds like a start. The CAI if it's not really expensive, do they make a noticeable difference?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, the CAT from the factory is alrdy a high flow CAT, most vehicle built after 2002 comes with it from the factory.
they won't make noticeable difference, Might give you a few extra MAXIMUN horse power, not enough for anything to feel.
tho it will sound noticebly different.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I'm curious as to what kind of mileage (city/highway) you're experiencing with the 3.6 now? My wife and I have researching toward purchasing a 3.6, 300.

I agree with steak59, even after swapping the headers and highflow cats, and exhaust in pre-eagle 5.7 era, the power difference was barely noticable. Once I modified internals and had a CMR tune implemented, then there was a noticable increase.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 AM
furiousgeorge
Professional

It gets better mileage then I thought it'd get for such a heavy car. Highway cruising at 65 mph gets around 34, and low 20s around town (according to the monitor). So really, my options are down to the CAI for simple changes.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Cummins and goin
Default Engine destroyer

While I have had good success with K&N on gas engines my 2004.5 Cummins engine was destroyed by my K&N filter at 94,000 miles. I began seeing huge clouds of black smoke when accelerating. So bad that they engulfued the entire intersection. Particle leakage had sand blasted the turbo and two cylinders were damaged. Chrysler refused to warranty it and K&N talked big for about one day then said they needed the truck to check it out. Now how can anyone send their truck to K&N? They jerked me around for a couple of days then nothing. My dealer (Orange Park Dodge in Jacksonville, Florida) lied and stated that I had been warned by them to remove it.
I was given a repair estimate at $18,000. Chrysler national customer service offered to have it repaired for $8000.
While I felt like I could win this battle in court the fact is that while I did so I would be without transportation for months. I traded it ASAP.
I understand that this is not uncommon. Good luck on your K&N!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, diesel is a completely different story. The constant suction from it could easily rip the filter apart when it becomes partially restricted. I've seen some Ford PowerStroke engine destroyed by aftermarket cone filter too.

Power Sedan, You should really try the charger with the New 8-speed trans first. fuel economy is awsm. But it drives a little different from older model the the Mercedez 5-spd.
However, I recommend you to wait another year, or spend a little more on a extened power-train waranty.
the 8-spd 3.6L is fairly new to chrysler product, even tho the trans has been used on European cars for few yrs alrdy.

Quick Reply: Are k&N filers worth it?