Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Charger - Dealer Installed UConnect RV Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006 | 10:40 PM
Hemi57
Default 2006 Charger - Dealer Installed UConnect RV Mirror

My Charger R/T came with all of the factory options except 2: the Passenger DVD Player and Auto Dim, UConnect rear view mirror.

I do not miss the DVD player (already got one in the wife's Caravan) but I would like to add the rear view mirror. The dealer says no problem, the service department can do that.

The mirror (Part# 4806 228AB) also requires 2 cable harnesses; 1 for the auto-dim function (Part# 5089 050AB), and 1 for the Bluetooth/UConnect functions (Part# 5089053AB).

So, I have 2 questions:

Are the cable assemblies installed at the factory even if the mirror is not?

Does anybody have any experience with a dealer installing this option?

Any help/advice or pointers to the answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2006 | 12:55 AM
74scamp
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2006 Charger - Dealer Installed UConnect RV Mirror

I don't have those options either, but I'd sure like to get the auto dim rearview mirror. I go to pick up my R/T from the dealer tomorrow (had it in to fix a few things), and I'll ask about it here.

dave

Old 05-05-2006 | 03:12 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

Hi Hemi,

What your likely to find is that the harness was not install factory ready. Each model & accessories are decided upon when the line gets the production order. Specific parts are then assigned to that model and package. You can understand that the manufacture does not spend on dime more than necessary for each unit, maximizing the profitability of the production cycle for each unit turned out.

As for the Dealer, well I have some very low opinions of the efficiency and economic value of dealing with the Dealer. Unfortunately with your goals in mind, your likely left with no choice. If it were just the DVD/CD, I would suggest you go to an audio installer. My advise to you though, is to get the quote.. in writting and in your hand before your work is done. Indicate on the work order, that no deviations will be allowed without your signed approval.. and what ever you do.. Schedule your work.. schedule the work to be done midweek and back to you by Friday.

I have the features as part of the accessories I bought with my Daytona RT.. I know you'll appreciate them, though I'm not sure you'll appreciate them for as much as your likely to pay for them aftermarket. The dimmer rearview is nice.. but I'm glad I'm not paying for the luxury after the fact.

Be careful out there.

Old 05-11-2006 | 04:59 PM
Hemi57

Thanks Dave, Thanks Beast.

The cost for all of the parts (mirror and cables) is around $350. I do not have an estimate for labor. My guess is a couple hours. My biggest fear is if they have to pull the headliner down to run the cables, it will never be the same aftwerwards.

I will pay a visit to the dealer next week, spend some time with the service manager, and have him convince me they can do it properly and guarantee the work.

I will post the results when the work is complete.

Keep the shiny side up!!!!

Old 05-11-2006 | 09:57 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

Hemi57 (how did you come by that name, anyway) - please, let us know how it goes. That's the one option I really wish I had on my R/T.

dave

Old 05-12-2006 | 01:07 AM
Rivalry
Professional

ORIGINAL: 74scamp

Hemi57 (how did you come by that name, anyway)
Seriously? LOL

Old 05-12-2006 | 04:42 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

Wow Dave, Your easy to please !!

I always wanted the 5-10-2-2-1 options.. that would be the optional 5-foot 10-inch blonde with a very large set of.. bourbon flasks in her hands.. two looooong.. tall glasses full of ice.. and a red hot... glowing cigar between her teeth. Now if your gonna dream options.. lets reach alittle Pal !

I would have expected atleast the requisit trunk monkey... complete with double barreled 20 gage.. to take care of those irritating bright lights.. save the install expense and take over for the blonde if she gets too demanding.

Just my opinion.. I could be wrong.

Old 05-13-2006 | 12:35 AM
Hemi57

dave
Dave,

Hemi is what's under the hood. 57 is my gpm (grins per minute ) when I am driving my Charger. Coincidentally, it's also the size of the Hemi.

Keep the shiny side up....

Old 06-05-2006 | 05:06 AM
Gomango#2968
Rookie

Any updates yet?

Old 06-06-2006 | 08:53 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Hemi57

dave
Dave,

Hemi is what's under the hood. 57 is my gpm (grins per minute ) when I am driving my Charger. Coincidentally, it's also the size of the Hemi.

Keep the shiny side up....

Geez, I feel like such an idiot - you got by me with that one[]. I was thinking that you had a 1957 something with a Hemi in it.[X(]

dave

Quick Reply: 2006 Charger - Dealer Installed UConnect RV Mirror