Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

GS Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
mnboy
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GS Supercharger

Yes, they are belt driven. Of course the high pressured blower, like a roots type, uses a 3" belt that is sometimes famous for leaving the scene and you end up without power. But it depends on how much pressure you're boosted to. I believe there is a clutch system, but it is expensive and most cars are set up to run with the full blower pressure. It also easier to set an ECU program to that same constant pressure.

Two turbos. Hmm. I know you're right about the smaller being faster to spool up. But, frankly, I haven't heard of using two in the same set up, unless you're talking about Linkenfelter's twin turbo set up. Wow. Hang on.

Go talk to your kids or their "ricer" friends. Those are the knowledgeable turbo crowd. Those little four cylinders are begging to run at 9,000 rpms, do a quarter in the 10s, and still get 30 MPG. When one of the guys back here spent $30,000 on a Chevy engine to run at the Street Nationals and had a 4 link set up in his Camaro and special this and that (I could go on and on) and ran in the 10s. Heck, a kid with a SRT4 with the right set up for much less can run right with him. Nitrous. Turbos. Race map injection programs on laptops. Ask one for a ride. Listen to the turbo spool up, the four cylinders sing, the waste gate pressure release loudly and feel the pressure in your neck from the Gs and you'll believe. Oh yeah, and it's under warranty!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:37 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

I know what you mean about those little 4 bangers and nitrous, etc. I know of one guy who put twin turbos on a 67 Satellite with a 440 in it. Talk about smoke from the tires [sm=badbadbad.gif].

OH, well. Won't be doin' that to mine, anyway. Would like to put headers on it sometime, but I just about have mine the way I want it.

OK, I'm tired. Time for my nap.

dave

Old 08-03-2006, 08:03 PM
mnboy
Captain

Mike, I talk to supercharger guys and they tell me 6 is fine. Even 8-10 if you don't get into it much. But 8-10 is getting up there for engines that aren't set up for it. Watch your internals. Some might laugh at this, but it's YOUR engine. If they show me a good sound engine after 8-10 for 100,000 miles, I'm a believer. I know my boy runs 14 PSI in his STi, but that engine is set up for a turbo -- it was made for it. Our Hemis are set up for natural aperation and I wonder about rings, pistons, rods, and especially bearings. I have read the 5.7's crank wants to crawl out of the block under too much stress -- something the SRT boys redesigned in the 6.1. So, Mike, you'll have to talk to a few guys on ebay or the race crowd and talk to more than one. Even some of those Gumballer's would have been good to BS with -- well, I guess they probably weren't in the talking mood at 150...

I know the GS kit LOOKS good. I'd say talk to someone about it, but the kit is new and so is the engine, so longevity is an unknown. Oh sure the engine has been around in the truck version for years, but are we talking apples to apples? I saw that kit and thought for the few dollars more the 8-10 SRT killer kit looked bad. But if you do it four or five times, are you replacing parts or putting lots of stress on a engine that won't last beyond 25,000 miles. Questions you need to ask. I don't have the money for more parts and I doubt a dealer wants to spend any on a tired engine. Since the 6 psi set up will give you 123 HP and the SRT is "only" 75 more HP... isn't it enough??

Good luck on your decision Mike. And if you jump in, let us know how the water is.

PS = that would be a sweet squad -- I'd leave off the light bar and put in the CHP type red 6" red spotlight -- you'd probably be good for 10 MPH more. Man, you'd have to wrestle it away from the station sergeant every shift!

Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

What does everyone think of drivability, will the stock suspension and breaks handle the added hp.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:26 PM
mnboy
Captain

Yes, more unknowns. A true 123 added rear wheel HP is A BUNCH. It would be easy to shock the rear tires... hopefully not send parts out the sides along with it. The SRT has bigger brakes, wider wheels, and after that I don't know. Suspension upgrades? Stiffer coils? Is the rear end set up with better axles and heavier duty gears? Better drive shafts with upgraded u-joints? Is the guts of the transmission beefed up? Does it need a cooler? Will the engine oil handle the extra heat of the supercharger? What about the exhuast? What about the noise (whine)? Uff da...

Old 08-03-2006, 10:04 PM
moparmike
Professional

My problem is my buddy already bought the complete package... Big boost 8-10psi, big injectors, and the SRT killer junk. I'm buying it from him. I would be more than happy with the lower boost because my wife drives this thing everyday and we love to go on long trips with it. I'm going to buy it and if it's not feesable than I'll try to sell it and make a few extra bucks. What I want to do is add a blow off valve or waste gate to lower the boost. I wonder if it is possible. I've emailed GSM to get some feed back but no response...go figure, I'm intrested in a $9400 kit of theirs and no response. I'm getting fustrated because there is little talk about these except here on this forum, I don't want to make a mistake and kill my car. I guess I'll get back to surfing... my left click finger is getting sore...[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Please keep this thread alive...

Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

That's sad and I’m sure your frustrated that GSM will not respond to you’re inquiries. Sorry man!

How about a back door… contact someone reselling their product for information. Try SuperChargersOnline.

I believe their systems comes w/a black box tuner. I don't believe the "black box" flashes rather it plugs into the bus kind of like a Jet Chip does. If I recall correctly the black box is about the size of a SuperChips tuner maybe a little larger and is mounted inside the car, the one I saw was in the glove box.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:38 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

Hey mike I called GSM and had no problems talking to them everytime I called.I do know from talking to the guys at work that do turbos and S\C's 6 or 8 lbs of boost is all you want unlees you want to do rods,tranny and all the other stuff.The one guy tells me @8lbs on a turbo you are looking to dble HP at the flywheel,or damn close to it.So I would say prob. gonna get about the same result with a S\C.I would also look into the ESP mod they have to disable it if you dont want HAL restricting all that POWER.I have GSM's number if you want to PM me I can give it to you,but I cant remember who I talked to.

Marty

Old 08-04-2006, 04:47 AM
moparmike
Professional

I could just spend the $3800 on a Six Pack and a stroker kit for the Superbee but everyone expect that to be fast. It sure would be nice to smoke a few sports cars with the kids in the back watching a DVD or something.
[sm=jawdrop.gif]

[sm=gears.gif]

Baldyloxs.

What did you find out from GSM. Any good info about their systems?

Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 PM
mnboy
Captain

Yeah, I'd be careful about 8 PSI also. But what they hey. If you buy the SRT8 killer and try it out (not abusing the car often) then you'll feel what it is to have the top dog supercharger. You'll be the envy of the forum.

Get the number from Dex on-line or Baldy, and call them up. Ask your questions to them. Even call owners of SRT8 killers -- they SHOULD give you names to promote their product.

Of course, if you scatter a few pieces after you install it, please disregard my enthusiasum and envy...

Seriously, do your research!

Quick Reply: GS Supercharger