Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

GS Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
moparmike
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Supercharger

OK, This seems to good to be true but I want some feedback from everyone before I buy. A friend of mine bought a GS supercharger with all the boost, injector, and SRT killer stuff for his Magnum. His wife says no way and now he want to get rid of it for under $4k complete. I would like to know will my car turn into a piece of crap and be hardly streetable? Can the car hold up to the power? And is there a diffrence between the mag kit and the charger kit. I'm just trying to get some ammunition for when I try to convince my wife on it. I know everyone here has dreamed about getting one and has researched it so please let me know. If you have one, even better...feedback please.

P.S. I wonder how "HAL" is going to take the news?

[sm=gears.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37749/B51C0FFA393F464AB59BB03069EC7699.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-02-2006, 06:36 PM
mnboy
Captain
Default RE: GS Supercharger

Mike, I had several questions too and emailed GS Motorsports awhile ago but never got an answer. Of course, one of my questions was noise. I wanted to know how noisy the Novi 1200 unit was. I didn't want to drive around annoyed after spending $5,500. Although they boast like this is the best, I want facts. My son with his new school turbo STi, that runs door handle with a good Corvette, and runs a tick off 12 second quarter (in race map mode using a laptop programmer) started telling me about turbo vs supercharger vs blowers. I wanted a blower because the superchargers had to whine up like a turbo, but the blower had instant power. We went back and forth, and emailed several vendors. This was months ago. When I ended up not getting much info since the car was so new, I just gave up.

I still want a roots type blower for my Hemi, but the trade off is a bulbous hood. A turbo has too much lag, and a supercharger is probably the middle road. But if I'm going to spend $6,000, I want some answers and I wasn't getting any.

So, I turned my thoughts to 6.1 heads and intake on my 5.7 engine. This is doable and would cost much less. I found a place in Arizona that would sell me a complete 6.1 engine or the parts for my hybrid motor upgrade (6.1 heads on the 5.7 engine). Also, a NON-MDS cam and lifter package, headers, and then a new programming. This package would be hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars less and if tuned right would be about the same HP. I have thought of all kinds of motor packages.

My ONLY hold back has been a GOOD programming set up for HAL. I mean, you can put $10,000 into the engine, but if you don't have a good set up for HAL, it goes for nothing.

So, for me, until someone out there gets a GOOD programmer for HAL, I am just waiting to write my checks to any number of hi performance places for the Go Man Go parts. Sounds like Morphus might be the best bet I have heard so far for a good programming program. But if it works in the real world...

I get frustrated because of all the parts that were available to my 440 engine. I guess I just have to settle down and WAIT for the hot rodders to figure out this new Charger...

Anyway, good luck Mike!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:10 PM
moparmike
Professional

Do any of you have links to other supercharger related forums?

Old 08-02-2006, 08:26 PM
mnboy
Captain

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ If you need to talk to me just give me a call at 479-394-5711 talk to Mark.

This is the place I found a link to a place called MagnaCharger. I went to MC site and they were working on blowers for a 5.7, in fact, they had one for sale for $4,900.

OK. Hmm. Not now. In fact, the link is gone from the Hot Rod Lane site, and MC has no info about the 5.7 or any Chrysler product.

Well, while I sit here with egg on my face, GS Motorsports corners the market...

I'll keep digging...

MN

Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

OK, mn. Educate me. I was always under the impression that a supercharger and blower were the same thing. The old 6-71 Jimmy blowers - they came off of the GMC diesels and were then called "superchargers". I always thought they were the same thing.

dave

Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 PM
moparmike
Professional

The 671 blower is a roots style blower. The roots style positively forces air into the engine(kinda like a compressor). What I'm looking at is a paxton supercharger unit that is alot like a fan. It still produces boost but isn't as powerful as a roots (671) blower. The paxton compresses air alot like a turbo but instead of being powered by the exhaust, it's driven by a belt. Hope this helps...

Moparmike

http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchan...ode=HMICHARGSC

Old 08-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Zedd
Rookie

Supercharger is as supercharger does... A turbo is driven by exhaust pressure, therefore the engine rpm must raise enough to create enough exhaust to spool up the turbo. With a supercharger of any type, it is mechanically driven therefore immediately begins to speed up as soon as engine rpm increases in exact proportion. A Paxton/Whipple type runs a much smaller boost in most cases as compared to the 6/71's from the past of us 'old' guys. Therefore it seems like there is a lag like a turbo but really it is a side effect of a typical, say 6psi of boost in street trim of the rotary superchargers/blowers.

At least this is how it has been explained to me by the various tuners I have worked with over the years.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:41 PM
mnboy
Captain

Dave,
MoparMike and Zedd are dead on. Blowers, Superchargers, and Turbos do the same thing -- force air into an engine, but just have different applications. I know you know that. The drag racers use the roots type blower where instant power is the reason - no delay when you hit the gas, which is what I want -- but at a price. Not the amount of money, but engine longevity. Turbos and superchargers only boost when you need it - passing for instance, hard accelerating. Blowers constantly force a certain amount (measured by psi) of air into the engine. I believe blowers must use lower compression engines, then overdrive the blower, to keep from destroying the motor with too much boost/compression. Superchargers and turbos can be used on a higher compression engine and have the boost controlled by a wastegate and heat controlled by a intercooler to prevent meltdown. The trade off is the superchargers and turbos have a lag, however slight. Some guys make up for the lag by using nitrous.
I believe the compression ratio of the new 5.7 is under the compression of the 10+:1 6.1 Hemi. But both are too high for a roots blower set up, unless you didn't overdrive it, but then, why have it. So, I think there isn't going to be much out there for the new Hemis.
Superchargers and turbos, on the other hand, can easily be bolted on and not over boost the pistons and rings. A little 6 PSI or so isn't too hard on the motor and longevity doesn't suffer. Well, I mean if you're not racing constantly...
Whipple, MagnaCharger, Paxton, were places I was looking for help, but the only place lately I can find much info for a Hemi application is GS Motorsports -- which uses the Novi (Paxton) supercharger. They are using two different heads to supply air for our Hemis.

Like MoparMike, I am very interested in this technology and still entertain the thought of 123 more rear HP from the first step mod. But, for me, noise in the form of whine is a question. I'd like to hear one on the 5.7 Hemi before I invest $6,000. Oh you bet, I'd LOVE more HP but at what cost? Constant whine? However, if it's managable driving around, I may get in line for one.

Of course, that pressure will change the tones from the exhaust system and that, my friend, is another subject... [sm=crossbonesgif.gif] LOL.

MN

Old 08-03-2006, 03:59 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mnboy

Of course, that pressure will change the tones from the exhaust system and that, my friend, is another subject... [sm=crossbonesgif.gif] LOL.

MN
You are just tooooo much, my friend! . I guess I have a lot more to learn. Aren't "superchargers" and "blowers" both belt driven? as opposed to turbos which, as Iweknow, are exhaust driven? Of course, with a blower/supercharger, you could always have a switch to turn it on when needed - like Mel Gibson in MadMaxx (yeah, right ). The turbo lag can, as I understand it, be almost eliminated if you could use two - one with a small spool, and the second with a larger spool.

dave

Old 08-03-2006, 04:24 PM
moparmike
Professional

MN,

Do you think the 8-10 psi the GS big boost produces is to much for the 5.7? I really want to buy this kit but I don't want to kill this car. I seen people say the pistons are weak and the last thing I want to do is put pistons and rods in a new car. Is there a way to add a waste gate on the GS setup so I can detune it.

If this all works out I'll have to paint it blue and add a light bar to the top.[sm=confused06.gif]

Quick Reply: GS Supercharger