Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Rear Tires....3rd set - 16000 miles?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006 | 05:52 PM
dcopel02
Default Rear Tires....3rd set - 16000 miles?!

OK, OK, I know that many ofyou will say that I am driving my charger too hard. Maybe I drove it a little hard at first....and my rear tires were bald at 10,000 miles! OK, I have a stang that I burn the tires all the time...and get MUCH better tire wear. And, they are Z rated tires! So, after I replaced my tires the 1st time, I have been driving it like a granny! NO tires spin. NO going fast through curves. The only thing I can feel is if I hit bumps, the rear ed bounces around. I talked to the dealer about it...they say that I should put a bag of sand in the back to weight it down. Bag of sand? Why should I have to fill my trunk with a bag of sand? And, I am not completely sure that is what is wrong with it! Anyway, now after baby'ing it for 6,000 more miles....they are bald! Any ideas? Are you having this problem? What can I do. Is there a different tire I should have put on?

Oh yea....It is a R/T....Hemi.......charger....

Pleaes help! I can't afford to keep putting tires on there!

Old 08-13-2006 | 06:05 PM
mnboy
Captain
Default RE: Rear Tires....3rd set - 16000 miles?!

Hello.

I have 10,000 miles on my Daytona, just got my 9,000 check up at the dealer a couple weeks ago, and my tires are all wearing the same being 9/32" tread depth left. I had them rotated at the 6,000 check up and I'll have it done at 12,000 miles.

Well, of course, sounds like you are having way too much fun. Do you have the stock tires or a softer tire? How many miles do you have on it now??

The Charger is one of the most even weighted (front/rear) cars around and you should be getting even tire wear, if you WANT to. Maybe for you, you need to rotate them at each oil change.

Many things enter into the formula, but my guess is you're not babying them as much as you think you are!

[sm=gears.gif] [sm=nothatway.gif]

MN

Old 08-13-2006 | 09:16 PM
dcopel02

I appreciate the comments. But, let me tell you.....I AM driving it like a granny. I own my own company...and it's advertising is all over it. I can't afford to be agressive with it on the road. If I feel like driving agressively, I take out my stang. Again, why is it that I can drive it so hard and my tires last forever..But, I drive the charger around town...NEVER spinning the tires.....NEVER going through a curve at high speed.....and rarely breaking the speed limit...yet, my tires last only about 6000 miles? I am convinced that there is something wrong in the suspension. Again, I can hit a bump in the road at 45 miles per hour, and the back end skips around. There has to be something to that. The dealership just says they don't know. ANY ideas??

Old 08-13-2006 | 10:26 PM
Zedd
Rookie

Being that these cars have IRS I would suspect something very strange about your rear wheel allignment. Do they have toe adjusters? I can't remember even after being under mine many times. Do the rear tires wear evenly across the tread or is it the inner side or outer side first?

Old 08-13-2006 | 11:56 PM
Midnight Blue
Professional

Just peeked under mine and I don't see anything that is readily adjustable unless the bushings are offset and can be rotated. The control rod that looks like it controls toe appears to be a solid piece and not adjustable. Maybe something is bent. A quick and dirty check is to run your hand across the tread (if you have any left that is) in both directions. Should be smooth both ways. If it is smooth in one direction and rough in the other, toe is wrong. If the tires wear more on one side than the other, camber is off (or, if the wear is on the outside, you are cornering hard which you already have stated isn't happening.) Have a good alignment shop check it out and if they say something needs replacement, bring their recommendation to the dealer for warranty service.

Redbeard

Old 08-14-2006 | 01:16 AM
mnboy
Captain

Hey 02,

Wow. Sounds like a real problem if you hit bumps and the rear dances. Suspension, wheels, tires -- check the obvious stuff like if the same sized tires are on the car, all the lugs nuts snug on the wheels, if there is a bent rim, alignment set up correctly, tire air pressure correct, rear coils damaged, trouble with the load leveling system (if you have it), too much weight in the trunk (supplies), etc, etc.

Usually these things are found by methodical checking.

If all else fails, rotate your tires more often.

Let us know when you get this solved...

MN

Old 08-14-2006 | 01:31 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I got 1500 on my Daytona no OEM tire problems.

If you have put sways or traded out springs/shocks you'll find out the rear drops out of this car by pulling 4 bolts, quite easy. After putting my coil overs and sways in I got aligned. Even if the rear is dropped, for any reason, it should be aligned.

I’d go back to the dealer and call BS on the bag-o-sand stuff and asked to get the alignment checked. Your tires should still have lots of tread. BTW… This cars weight distribution is almost 50/50 (front/rear).

Old 08-14-2006 | 02:11 AM
Daytona RT
Professional

I'm alittle over 15,000 on my oem Michelins and twice Z rotation, great wear and 0 perfomance problems. Sorry you are.

Old 08-14-2006 | 06:47 PM
IXLR8
Veteran

I'm like Daytona RT, OEM Michelins are doing an awesome job, smooth, quiet, fantastic grip (wet and dry), and very little wear at 7500 miles. I will probably replace them with the same tires.

Of course I haven't tried to light a 'smoke bomb' under the back of my car like 74scamp does... But I do break traction around most corners (very much on purpose, rear only).

It seems these are much better tires than the Conti's some folks got.

Old 08-14-2006 | 09:50 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

Quick Reply: Rear Tires....3rd set - 16000 miles?!