Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Dyno's and Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:43 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyno's and Synthetic

Yeah the Mobil gave the Marquise 15 more from 181rwhp to 196rwhp on the Dyno.My friend at work has a Mustang he did the Royal Purple and it gave him 6rwhp more off the dyno.You are looking at $6 to $8 a quart my friend said it cost him $50 to do his mustang 6quarts.He is going to tell me when they have their Dyno days in the summer.I think their web site is www.brenspeed.com I think its mustangs I see the shop every week on may way to get my son.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:17 AM
mnboy
Captain

440nix,

Certainly the two oils are not compatible, but you don't ruin an engine by switching back. Oil from petrolium distillates have been around for years however, the newer sythetic oils are far superior to those oils. This Royal Purple sythetic oil allows the engine to spin faster quicker because it is much less resistant surface tension, ie, it is slipperier. I would believe 6 HP. If they got 15 it's damned amazing, but I don't doubt it -- remember the commercial when they used to put Royal Purple in an engine and drain it and run it until it blows? It took sometimes hours to blow it up, but just a few minutes with conventional oil before smoke and steam appeared. The commercial doesn't air anymore, I would bet it was expensive to keep doing that, but the point was well documentated.

IXLR8,

Hey, just look under the hood of our engines... tell me we can run a 350 HP engine in the summer heat using 5-20 oil... five years ago, I would have bet $1,000 they are off their rocker too .

Or this: look under there again -- see a distributor cap or spark plug wires?

Ok, I was just wanting you to think about all this stuff that a few years ago we thought was space science.

MN

Old 09-14-2006, 04:33 AM
topbanna3767
Captain

hi there let me get this staight the royal purple gained 6 hp and mobil 1 15 hp? or is it the other way around ?

Old 09-14-2006, 04:49 AM
baldyloxs
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: baldyloxs

Yeah the Mobil gave the Marquise 15 more from 181rwhp to 196rwhp on the Dyno.My friend at work has a Mustang he did the Royal Purple and it gave him 6rwhp more off the dyno.You are looking at $6 to $8 a quart my friend said it cost him $50 to do his mustang 6quarts.He is going to tell me when they have their Dyno days in the summer.I think their web site is www.brenspeed.com I think its mustangs I see the shop every week on may way to get my son.
correct

Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
IXLR8
Veteran

Correct me if I am wrong, but the reason to have oil in an engine is to lubricate parts, and normalize temperatures (ie cool hot parts). The OEM oil fills both of those requirements. In order to increase horsepower it has to affect one of the two properties it is addressing in the engine.

1. Does the synthetic oil remove 15RWHP ~ 17BHP (brake horsepower measured at the crank) worth of friction? I am sure that you know that 15hp is a LOT of friction to remove. How much total dynamic friction does a 5.7L create? Assuming you removed the spark plugs, and turned the crank by hand, how many horsepower do you think it would take? 1/4hp or maybe a 1/2hp ? Not much.

2. The oil helps cool the engine better. If this was true, then where does the heat go? There is not any better radiation of heat as a result of changing the oil.

So, where does the horsepower gain come from?

Granted, I am not objecting to the obvious benefits of the higher quality oil. Only the claims of increased horsepower. Synthetic oil has a much higher temperature viscosity breakdown than standard oil, which is good. But changing your oil WILL NOT GIVE YOU MORE HORSEPOWER.

'nuff said, I'll shut up now....

( Hey wasn't there some crazy oil additive a few years back Pro-long or something that claimed you could drain your engine oil after using it? Their commercial had a Viper hot lapping on a race track with no oil drain plug... Where is it today... Where will royal purple be tomorrow....)

Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain

I run Mobile 1 and I felt a little more torque after my first oil change.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:42 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

This debate has been going on for a long, long time - does synthetic really do more. I think the science is there, and the numbers are there to support the claims. Having said that, there is the debate about oil filters as well. Generally, those "who are in the know" won't use Fram oil filters. WIX, Purolator, NAPA seem to be the filter of choice. I used Fram filters for years and years. But now, I use NAPA Gold filters. They cost a bit more, but hey...... I'm going to try the Mobile 1 in mine. If anything, I should, according to the hype, see an increase in gas mileage. I'll let ya all know.

dave

Old 09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Gomango#2968
Rookie

Friction is heat. Your thermostat controls your engine temp. Think about the horsepower gain from roller rockerss. It is nothing but free horsepower from freeing up some friction.Less friction = more hp. I can't say 15hp, I would have to see that in person but synthetic oil has far more benifits for an engine than regular oil.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:07 PM
mnboy
Captain

IXLR8,

The primary function of oil is to lubricate parts. It's secondary function, just by being there, is to suspend small particles so the filter can (hopefully) eliminate them. You change oil often to keep it clean. Clean oil is less friction.

You can argue that oil helps cool the engine, but that is because it keeps the friction low -- the lower the friction, the less heat produced.
The less friction the more freeier the engine spins, producing more horsepower just by allowing the engine freeier movement.

It doesn't have much to do with cooling the motor. That job is for the coolant and it's radiator and thermostat.

Anything that allows an engine to spin easier, breathe easier, or have better ignition certain has HP potential. How much is measured on the dyno.

Also, yes, there was a company years ago dropping engine oil and running them until they blew up. I believe it was the Royal Purple people.

MN

Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 PM
mnboy
Captain

Move to the head of the class. You are correct in your thoughts.

MN

Quick Reply: Dyno's and Synthetic