Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Ramair kit finally in!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006 | 02:05 AM
SultanOfSnuff
Default Ramair kit finally in!

Hey guys,

Just got my ramair kit it, runs great wondering if any others have gotten theirs in and how they like it compared to CAI...

I'm trying to post the pics here...but file too large...any suggestions?

edit.. i think this might work

http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/17...ture%20242.jpg
http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/17...ture%20240.jpg
http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/17...ture%20241.jpg
http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/17...ture%20237.jpg
http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/17...ture%20235.jpg
http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/17...ture%20234.jpg
http://www.myspacephoto.com/files/17...ture%20231.jpg

GoManGo! #3901
RamAir Kit
Borla 125
Tint 5-35
so far...

Old 09-25-2006 | 05:09 AM
topbanna3767
Captain
Default RE: Ramair kit finally in!

here is this website that will minimize pics for you i used it its a pretty good
www.shrinkpictures.com

Old 09-25-2006 | 01:04 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain

Wow does it come w/ the painted air clearner like that? It looks really good!

How much and was it hard to install?

Old 09-25-2006 | 05:28 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Dude, nice paint job on the intake. Did you do it or someone else? I left my casing black and painted the raised letters.

I've had mine as soon as they started shipping them, a couple months now. It may have gained a couple HP but nothing substantial, IMHO it's a CAI you'll be hard pressed to get anything substantial out of the CAI.

Looks great, you happy with the hood?

Old 09-25-2006 | 08:13 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Hey karleysDAD, turn on your PM, I couldn't reply because it's turned off.

There are two flavors of the RAMAirHood:
--One that vents to the OEM airbox.
--One that vents to the center of the hood.

If you have the one that vents to the center of the hood you can order the intake from RAMAirHood.com.

Old 09-26-2006 | 05:05 AM
SultanOfSnuff

Hey TB3767,

Thanks for the info on the sight. I just checked out my links and those pics do come out big! They kinda resize themselves after the load finishes.

Nice choice on the TB Daytona. I was very close to getting that one, cuz I thought the GMG's dried up, I couldn't find one for a while.
I wasn't actually hot on either color when I first started looking for a Charger. I loved the design, and wanted something different, a "limited" run. Out of the two colors, the GMG just grew on me more, probably because I got to actually see for a few months longer as the TB's weren't out yet. As it is, I'm not really turned on by the Torred, though I think the Sublime would be cool one to have.

I actually wanted the SRT-8 (as i'm sure everyone else did), but that was even harder to find. I guess the two things that really steered me away from the SRT was the dealer markup (8-10k over sticker), insurance costs, and the $2500 gas guzzler tax they have here in CA.
Well, that's actually three things. Anyways, probably the other thing is that they didn't have any special color packages or looks than the regular R/T's. Yeah the rims (which should have come on the Daytonas) and the scoop on the hood, other than that...they really didn't make a "statement" like the Daytonas. On the other hand....6.1...should probably say enough!

In answer to your other question, I actually went thru my local dealer on the RamAir purchase. They undercut retail a bit, and gave a pretty fair price on the total with the hood and air box painted and installed.

I didn't see how they put it on, but it's on solidly, they told me how to remove it, you pull off the filter and it's accessible from inside.
MangoInTX would probably be a better person to provide insight on the install.

I've enjoyed reading a lot of your posts, you provide a lot of insight on your experiences and I like the mods you've done on yours.
I'll probably be asking you a lot more questions as I continue building up on mine!

SultanOfSnuff
GoManGo! #3901

Old 09-26-2006 | 06:24 AM
SultanOfSnuff

MangoInTx,

Thanks for the props! I saw your ROTM pics... sweet! Although I'm going the opposite route with mine (keeping the decals and logos - I am in the process of having the hood decal designed so it has the same look as the original but fit to the contours of the ramhood),
I can appreciate the "clean" lines and the overall looks of your GMG. A nice tint job, say 5's in the rear and the darkest legal for the drv/pass would "complete" the awesome look of yours, IMO.

As for am I happy with the hood, overall, I would say yes, as it really gave me the "look" that I wanted. It's a VERY aggressive look, compared to other hood scoops i've seen, functional or not. It really makes the whole front end look like it's "growling or snarling" at you. Quality of construction seems fine, about as solid as you'd find for a fiberglass.

Fit....well maybe there's a little more to be desired there. It does allow for front/rear movement, but it just doesn't really line up as well as I would like, understanding it's an aftermarket, of course. The left right front corner (looking from the front of the car) is raised enough so you can notice. I thought it may have been my hood, but when I originally order mine some months ago, they ended up sending me the hood first, the air boxes were being redesigned. Well they sent a CAI hood, which wasn't even offered at the time I ordered.

To make a long story short, the hood was installed but it couldn't close because of the box, so they had to order another hood. Well I drove with the CAI hood til the other one came. During the time I had the CAI hood, I saw that same raised area. So I'm guessing their dimension specs may be just a little off, or maybe it's just something the hoods go thru during the manufacturing process.

Maybe others can chime in if they noticed this as well.

To anyone thinking of ordering one, I would call them and see if they are aware of this and have remedied the problem.
I think it's even worth it for just the hood look. For those who already have a CAI, I'm not sure if it's designed to function with any CAI or if it's a proprietary box design of theirs.

Also, I would not order it painted. The first hood they sent, while painted to match OEM color, which it did, didn't really match my paint.
So when the second hood was ordered, I had them send it in-the-white, and my dealer's painters matched it, as close to perfect as I can tell.

As for the box, I think the material made a difference, according to my dealers guys. They had a harder time because of the imperfections of the box's surface. The had to do a lot of prep to get the smooth finish, very nicely done, albeit it appears a bit lighter than the rest of the car. While not perfectly matched, gives a nice contrast to the rest of the paint job, so in that respect, I am not all that unhappy.

MangoInTX, congrats on getting ROTM, I'm hoping to consider you as another source of info and recommendations for my GMG!

SultanOfSnuff
GMG #3901

Old 09-26-2006 | 09:47 AM
karleysDAD
Rookie

Thanks for the info. And sorry didnt realize the PM was off.

Old 09-26-2006 | 02:34 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Thanks, I see BigBananna's on the COTM list for next month... Everyone get out there and cast your vote!

I agree, the fit isn't 100% but one can get it close. I also had vertical front line-up issues. I did a lot of adjusting (up & down) of the hood latch and the funky screw in/out "adjustible bumpers" on each side up front.

I hadn't heard of the "couldn't close due to the box issue", but good to hear you got past that.

I have to ask and sorry for my ignorance but what is GMG... I know I'm a bit slow

Old 09-26-2006 | 04:30 PM
BigBananna3796of4000
Captain

Hey thanks Mango for the shout out.

I removed ther hood decals and blacked the windows. They are illegal! ha!

Installed Flowmaster 40's and removed the resonators w/ a Mopar CIA. The car sounds really cool.

Soon to come: 20 inch wheels , gloss black ram air hood and we are good.

Quick Reply: Ramair kit finally in!