Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Windows Vista review from a DF member

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:25 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windows Vista review from a DF member

I had to load Vista Busniess on my PC at work to test our software with it. Here are my comments.

1. The upgrade was a pain. A handful of apps did not work, however after un-installing then re-installing those appsthey did work. That is a upgrade issue and is Microsofts fault

2. Before the upgrade it runs a check for incompatible software, which it found one and I removed it before the upgrade. Then after the upgrade it found 2 more. The bad part? The uninstall does not work for those two apps!! If Vista knew it was incompatible and stopped it from running it should have known this before the upgrade and warned me. Once again Microsofts fault.

3. After I fixed the couple apps that did not run with the uninstall and reinstall technique I was happy. I like the over all look. I also like a couple of the new bells and whistles
-Side bar that you can include things like the stockmarket, weather, clock, ect. Nice little thing if you like that stuff on your PC, personally though I do not use them. When I want to know the market or weather I go to a website.
-Backup. There is a way to setup automated backups of your settings, files, ect to a CD, tape or network device.
-There is also a way to copy your dataand settings from one PC to another.
-Security is better with built in spyware protection, but it also does cause a annoying popup window when running programs on occasion, I turned that off.
-Window previews of minized programs and a VERY COOL additional way of getting previews of all running programs to select one to switch to.

Some other notes
1GIG of Ram or more
Processor was 1GHz or faster if I recall.
Media was a DVD, so you need a DVD CD playerto install it.

Now that it is on I like it. Do I recommend a person upgrade that does not know a lot about Windows? That is a big NO! Upgrade was not as easy as it should be. If you are getting a new PC would I recommend Vista? Absolutly!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:07 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Windows Vista review from a DF member

I do not know a whole lot about computers... but I too have had a chance to mess around on Vista.. In fact, it was the Beta version a few months back.

Not theeasiest out there, but it has potential. I will definatly wait a year til I even consider it. Most likely I will just opt for a Mac.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Vista is horrible. It's just like any other Windows out there that MicroSoft has offered, a load of errors and inevitable crashes. A better way is just to reload the original OS on your computer from the disk they might have provided to bring back the brand new PC that you once bought.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:49 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

Sticking with XP and linux. Tried vista and wast impressed at all. Too much fluff, system hog and other bloated garbage.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:11 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

Vista is horrible. It's just like any other Windows out there that MicroSoft has offered, a load of errors and inevitable crashes. A better way is just to reload the original OS on your computer from the disk they might have provided to bring back the brand new PC that you once bought.
That's a moronic statement coming from an uninformed individual. Jeez man, go and learn something.

Vista is actually a very good OS. The problem? Most of the software programs out on the market are using outdated code, resulting in all the incompatibilities with Vista. Let's put it this way, most of the software out today is running on code that was modified to work for Windows 2000/XP from Windows 98/NT. Now, this software hasnt been forced to be rewritten and updated.

Vista however, is a true 32bit/64bit OS. XP was barely a 64bit OS, despite having a version available. Most of the software on the market is written in 16bit code. Makes it harder to use.

Has Microsoft made it harder for people to transition? I'd agree with that, but at some point you eventually have to go and do it.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:34 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

jesus christ does the mac people write consumers report now?

Old 02-05-2007, 06:03 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've thought about converting over to a Mac.
But than I thought about the money I'd have to spend just buying a new system. Than you'd have to buy your programs all over again, so they would work with Mac... that is, if its made in Mac format. Than you'd have a little "getting used to" time.
Yes, there are ways to instal XP (evidently Vista is having a few bugs) on Intel-based Macs, but, if your still going to use Windows, clearly your not getting rid of it.
Besides, do I really want to own a computer from a company thats too retarded to install an anti-virus on the machines that make their flag-ship MP3 player... and than try to pass-on the blame?
It's ok though, anyone with half a brain knows that Macs are just as vunerable as Windows machines... just something about being unpopular
I have better things to do with my hundreds.. or thousands... of dollars I would spend seeing "if I like" Macs.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

jesus christ does the mac people write consumers report now?
HA HA HA That's what I was thinking!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:05 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

I still feel Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro are the most stable workstation operating systems made for PCs. I use both PCs and MACs, and in all honesty after comparing certain features and builds of Windows and MAC OS, I still say MAC OS is a better built operating system. Even though Windows is more commonly used, MAC is coded better, and best of all uses less system resources than Windows. I haven't had much time to explore Windows Vista, but from what I've read, there are some terrifying stories of people trying to upgrade. Once I get my hands on a copy I'll be posting a full review on my company web site.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:05 AM
Dakota_24

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

That's a moronic statement coming from an uninformed individual. Jeez man, go and learn something.

Vista is actually a very good OS. The problem? Most of the software programs out on the market are using outdated code, resulting in all the incompatibilities with Vista. Let's put it this way, most of the software out today is running on code that was modified to work for Windows 2000/XP from Windows 98/NT. Now, this software hasnt been forced to be rewritten and updated.

Vista however, is a true 32bit/64bit OS. XP was barely a 64bit OS, despite having a version available. Most of the software on the market is written in 16bit code. Makes it harder to use.

Has Microsoft made it harder for people to transition? I'd agree with that, but at some point you eventually have to go and do it.
No you have it backwards...VISTA was brought out too soon; thus didnt give other companies time to update their programs.

Quick Reply: Windows Vista review from a DF member