Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Back up camera + navigation on factory screen

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 AM
ts1608
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Back up camera + navigation on factory screen

Hey people good morning,

I am looking around to see if there is a way to do back up camera and navigation on my 2012 Journey with 4.3" screen and my wife's 8.4" screen? I do not want anything like external monitor. I want to have everything just like factory.

Do you guys recommend anything, any shop or website that I can go and check this options?

Thanks

Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

Well if you want it just like factory, why not go back to the dealer and tell them you want it installed if it is available? You can also buy the parts separately and have someone else do the install besides the dealer.

Otherwise it will probably not be like factory since the parts will not directly fit and if you pull out the factory system in favor of an aftermarket one, you risk any warranty coverage on your electrical system and may void the entire car warranty.

The easiest way is to buy a Magellan navigation system with the wireless back-up camera and be done with it.
http://www.magellangps.com/Products/...Back-up-Camera

Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think they are avalible, because it requires a different Radio, which adds to the cost. But as mentioned, it is best to call ur local dealer and confirm.
There are come decent aftermarket camera kit that replaces ur rear view mirror, and they look fairly nice.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 PM
bigtsr
Captain

The Magellan unit is now only around as a used item
on Ebay,I checked it out because I was interested
in it.
I wouldn't exchange my chromatic mirror anyway
as it is also linked to Uconnect,CanTire in Canada
was selling as stand alone wireless camera and
3 inch rcvr screen for $89 a while ago,I sure that
there a lot of alternatives.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM
ts1608
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by greenmachineiijh
Well if you want it just like factory, why not go back to the dealer and tell them you want it installed if it is available? You can also buy the parts separately and have someone else do the install besides the dealer.

Otherwise it will probably not be like factory since the parts will not directly fit and if you pull out the factory system in favor of an aftermarket one, you risk any warranty coverage on your electrical system and may void the entire car warranty.

The easiest way is to buy a Magellan navigation system with the wireless back-up camera and be done with it.
http://www.magellangps.com/Products/...Back-up-Camera
I went to dealer this morning and they can't do anything on 4.3" and for 8.4" they probably can do back up camera, but no nav. To do camera they will probably will charge me about $3000 installed.

They told to check with nav-tv, because they have a piece called UCI with allow me to installed camera + nav.

I will check and I will tell you the options.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2012, 02:04 PM
ts1608
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by steak59
I don't think they are avalible, because it requires a different Radio, which adds to the cost. But as mentioned, it is best to call ur local dealer and confirm.
There are come decent aftermarket camera kit that replaces ur rear view mirror, and they look fairly nice.
There is something out there that allow you to install aftermaket back up cam + nav. I think you can do on 4.3" and 8.4" using the factory touch screen and everything else.

I will check monday and I will let you know. I think Nav-tv has some kit that does everything.

Thanks

Old 08-04-2012, 02:06 PM
ts1608
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bigtsr
The Magellan unit is now only around as a used item
on Ebay,I checked it out because I was interested
in it.
I wouldn't exchange my chromatic mirror anyway
as it is also linked to Uconnect,CanTire in Canada
was selling as stand alone wireless camera and
3 inch rcvr screen for $89 a while ago,I sure that
there a lot of alternatives.
I was reading online and I found bad reviews on those wireless back up camera. Some times there is a lot of statics on the image and sometimes they don't work properly. I will check with Nav-tv because they have something that can help me doing cam and nav.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 AM
ts1608

Yesterday I called Lockpick and NAV-TV to compare to kits that they have.

Lockpick I couldn't talk to anyone over there. Seems like they do not have sales or tech support. The solution is much cheaper than the NAV-TV, but I can't talk to them. So now I am afraid to order something online and then later on if I have problem I won't be able to solve my problems or even return it.

NAV-TV gave me so many information about the UCI that I was impressed.The customer service is really good. The UCI interface works in any vehicle with UCONNECT with 4.3" or 8.4" screen. They can do back up camera, navigation on the 4.3" and on th 8.4" they can back up camera, navigation and video in motion. For navigation they use Garmin, which is the same used from Chrysler factory. Everything will work using the touch screen from factory. That is really nice solution and that was the thing that I was looking for.

They also have a nice backup camera which I think is the OEM or look just like OEM for Journey. I bought that kit for my both cars. I spent a little on those pieces, but they said if something does not work as I expected I can return I and get my money back.

Lets see... I will instal the kit next week, it is all plug and play, and I will post how was everything and how this thing works, just in case there is anybody looking for the same solution!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 AM
ts1608

By the way, if you guys want to check the solutions I got for my vehicles, check the video below:

4.3" screen:

And 8.4" screen:

Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM
mandkaug

that is really cool but can anyone answer if or why my 4.3s uconnect does not come with the bluetooth feature built into it and... is there software that the dealership can get from chrysler to install it on the unit?? i also have on/off soft key on the DRL's but they will not turn on, i read that the dealership has to add some sales code to the VIN # using starmobile and to dealerconnect or newer witech diagnostic tool in order to turn the DRL's on. i am getting fed up of getting the run around from the dealership and with dodge customer service. seems like there are a lot more peeps that care on this forum then dodge themselves.

Quick Reply: Back up camera + navigation on factory screen