Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2012 Journey (and dealership) NIGHTMARE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:37 AM
mrsjrandy2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2012 Journey (and dealership) NIGHTMARE!

Vehicle:
Purchased a used 2012 Journey from a Dodge dealer on 11/28. CEL light came on 12/1 w/several codes. Didn't do it on test drive, but the next day it seem to run rough at an idle. Took to service department. Also mentioned that the bluetooth wasn't working on the UConnect and asked for a repair price (I know this isn't a powertrain item). I was given a courtesy ride to the office.

Was told there were multiple codes, and one of the main ones (I have them written down at my office) was the one for the wrong oil filter?. According to the diagnostic tree, a PCM reprogram was the next step and the light went off.

I was told by the service manager that his boss spoke to sales ane because I just bought the car over the weekend and already had trouble they would replace the bluetooth module for me. I was never asked to pay for it and I never asked them to fix it for free. It was offered. I assumed a goodwill gesture. Knowing what I know now, I would have certainly questioned this. The part was ordered and I picked up the vehicle to return the next day for the replacement.

I took the car back the next morning, but on the way the CEL illuminated again. Left the car and got another courtesy ride to office. Was called later stating that it might be the cylinder head at worst case. I was at this point offered a loaner vehicle, so I picked that up. They kept the car the remainder of the week and over the weekend. Their final diagnosis was an oil pump. But evidently in the replacement there were some exhaust bolts that broke off so they had to be reordered. (In the narrative below, you will see this is the next weekend after purchase, and I was called back to dealership by sales department.)

Picked up the vehicle on Monday evening. Drove all week. Still seemed to have a rough idle. Finally gave in and filled up with fuel. That Saturday afternoon (2 weeks after purchase) CEL on again. Left at dealership yesterday and was given a loaner.

They called and told me it was a misfire code on cylinder 4 and a catalyst code. They said they swapped coil pack with cylinder 2 and CEL had cylinder 2 misfire code, so the coil pack would be replaced. The other code could be because of that. Service manager was going to drive it home and back with permission as it is 67 miles. I agreed, and am awaiting a call back today. There was no mention of a repair fee, etc. So I'm nervous because I am fairly confident that powertrain doesn't cover this.

Am I the only one having this much trouble? I haven't even made the first payment. Certified? Yeah, right.

Dealership:
Purchased the vehicle on 11/28 w/limited powertrain warranty still intact. Was told because the vehicle was Q certified I would be GIVEN an extra warranty by the dealership - evidently not true. I was even handed a brochure while working out the deal with my sales person. The brochure alluded to the fact an additional warranty could be purchased, but I was assured that is not what he was referring to. This was something on behalf of the dealership. Yeah, right .... service department has no idea what I am talking about.

PLUS, my closing paperwork included an extended warranty from The Mechanix - which now appears to be the Q certified extended warranty. It covers the same things as the powertrain warrany and expires at the same time. The print on the contract I signed was very light, and I didn't question it. Yet, there was a $3,000 charge for this? Hmm .... think I'll be requesting a refund, unless they can show me something additional it covers that I am missing.

A week AFTER I purchased the vehicle, I was called back to the dealership to sign all new paperwork. There was a $199 error on the contract and the financing company would not fund the deal, until they received corrected paperwork.

While waiting, the sales manager or GM (was just told he was the boss) was VERY condescending to me in the hallway of the dealership when I voiced my frustration over my vehicle STILL being the shop for a week (2 days after purchase). He smarted off about the bluetooth module repair, and explained he sold me an as-is vehicle. Well #1, I wouldn't have bought anything if I had met him first, and it isn't exactly as-is if you have a remaining factory powertrain warranty plus your salesman promises an additional warranty.

I was also promised the next 3 oil changes complimentary .... I haven't asked about this yet, but feel confident it was probably a lie as well.

I feel really duped, and can only blame myself for not insisting on things in writing and requesting a legible copy of the extended warranty purchase.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Sorry for your troubles.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:53 PM
mrsjrandy2

The service department took care of the second repair with an internal charge. I picked it up today. So far so good. Praying that this lasts for a while. The service rep has been my only lifesaver throughout this ordeal. He has done his best to help me out. Still not sure about this "extended" warranty though.

I'll refrain for now with any negative reviews, I'll just opt out of the surveys. I'm too angry to give a fair evaluation.

So, I see that almost 200 folks have read my post. Do any of you own a Journey? 2012? Any issues? I'm browsing the forum now. Thanks for any information you can share on your experiences, good or bad!

Old 12-15-2015, 07:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Had an 09 for 4 years and 80000 miles. Pretty trouble free except brakes and an alternator. Our 2013 is approaching 41000 miles. No issues that the dealer could not fix. Replaced front struts under warranty. Other than that. No problems.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:04 PM
mrsjrandy2

Well, I guess I just have bad luck. I hope things get worked out, and that I get as much enjoyment as everyone here seems to have with their Journey.

Had the car back and drove it for a week. Engine light came back on. Back in the shop. Picked up today .... this time it was the catalytic converter. Maybe I can drive it more than a week before the first payment comes due.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:07 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsjrandy2
Well, I guess I just have bad luck. I hope things get worked out, and that I get as much enjoyment as everyone here seems to have with their Journey.

Had the car back and drove it for a week. Engine light came back on. Back in the shop. Picked up today .... this time it was the catalytic converter. Maybe I can drive it more than a week before the first payment comes due.
mrsjrandy2,

Sorry to hear about this. Is your Journey still at the dealership?

Old 12-28-2015, 03:42 PM
mrsjrandy2

Thank you for checking. I have picked up the car. We have just left town on a road trip. Crossing my fingers it is fixed this time. Stay tuned ...

Old 12-28-2015, 04:34 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsjrandy2
Thank you for checking. I have picked up the car. We have just left town on a road trip. Crossing my fingers it is fixed this time. Stay tuned ...
Keep us updated.

Thank you,

Old 12-31-2015, 01:07 PM
mrsjrandy2
Default Imagine that ...

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Keep us updated.

Thank you,
400 miles from home, and BOOM! Check engine light back on, again!! Beyond frustrated.

Stopped at Auto Zone to get code cheked. The original code is back: P06DD

Last edited by mrsjrandy2; 12-31-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:21 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The things you described in your first post are typical issues with that year Pentastar 3.6.

Many times the oil pump codes that come up are due to a running change in the oil filter. Most independent shops were putting the wrong one in at first and we had a ton of those come in. The Oil Pressure switches are problematic as well.

The cylinder heads are nothing new.

The P06DD should not be back. However, it can be generated by the oil pump, wrong filter and the oil pressure switch.

I don't think you got a lemon. I just think you got one that hasn't had the usual suspects fixed yet. Make sure they do all the software updates next time you're in as well.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-31-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Journey (and dealership) NIGHTMARE!