Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Journey

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Ellen-84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Journey

My 2009 Dodge Journey has had multiple problems from the wheel bearings to the alternator then the starter but still. Now it has troubles starting,and the horn blows when no ones around it.help!!!

Old 07-25-2018, 06:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Take it to a dealer for a proper diagnosis. It could be anything.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

starting trouble is a vague description and would be impossible to diagnose over the internet.

post the symptom of what actually happens when you try to start it.
ie. crank over but no start....slow crank....no crank and single click heard..etc. Post a video.

All starting issues...the battery should be ruled out first...,have it tested.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 PM
Ellen-84

Ok to explain better what’s happening. The biggest problems are that the starter that was just replaced on july 5th, sometimes it will start fine others not so much. Sometimes I have to try multiple times especially if I have just drove it anywhere. And the alternator blew at the beginning of this week. We replaced it with a used one from an auto wrecker five minutes later it started smoking. So they replaced it with another one it worked for a day and a half before it started smoking today. Yesterday I took it into Canadian tire to fix brakes and check the wiring for the starter and the alternator because the “new alternator” was humming, so obviously it was breaking. They told us that it was a loose connection to the starter that’s why the starting problems, I ran it to the store and back today and the alternator went. Same issue it started smoking. I can’t see it being three bad alternators in a row. And we don’t know where the loose connection could be , but we did tighten all the wiring. Clearly Canadian tire didn’t actually fix the starting problem. But after we did tighten up the starter wires it started great like 9 times in a row shutting it off and trying again a bit later not moving it because we knew bad alternator. But then when I took it to the store to start it took three tries. I could get another alternator from the auto wreckers because Canadian tire just said it was the alternator. But I feel like a new one would probably be better. But I don’t want to buy a new one then have to replace it too.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:25 PM
William Fehrlen

Originally Posted by Ellen-84
Ok to explain better what’s happening. The biggest problems are that the starter that was just replaced on july 5th, sometimes it will start fine others not so much. Sometimes I have to try multiple times especially if I have just drove it anywhere. And the alternator blew at the beginning of this week. We replaced it with a used one from an auto wrecker five minutes later it started smoking. So they replaced it with another one it worked for a day and a half before it started smoking today. Yesterday I took it into Canadian tire to fix brakes and check the wiring for the starter and the alternator because the “new alternator” was humming, so obviously it was breaking. They told us that it was a loose connection to the starter that’s why the starting problems, I ran it to the store and back today and the alternator went. Same issue it started smoking. I can’t see it being three bad alternators in a row. And we don’t know where the loose connection could be , but we did tighten all the wiring. Clearly Canadian tire didn’t actually fix the starting problem. But after we did tighten up the starter wires it started great like 9 times in a row shutting it off and trying again a bit later not moving it because we knew bad alternator. But then when I took it to the store to start it took three tries. I could get another alternator from the auto wreckers because Canadian tire just said it was the alternator. But I feel like a new one would probably be better. But I don’t want to buy a new one then have to replace it too.
Its your neutral safety switch..

Old 08-04-2018, 01:58 AM
primem
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ellen-84
Ok to explain better what’s happening. The biggest problems are that the starter that was just replaced on july 5th, sometimes it will start fine others not so much.
you have to post what happens when you try to start it and the problem occurs.
symptoms...what happens when you try to start it....no crank? slow crank? do you hear a single click noise?

Old 08-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Ellen-84

sometimes it cranks easily, sometimes it’s slow, sometimes it’s nothing, sometimes it clicks. But eventually it would start until the alternator problems.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:39 PM
primem
Record Breaker

each different symptom could point to a different source. bad battery can cause the single click, nothing and a slow crank. Have the battery and charging system ruled out before diagnosing the starting system.
-have the battery tested, if it fails replace it. if its passes but has a low state of charge; charge it up at a 10amp/hr rate overnight.
-check the charging system...engine running, you should have at least 13.5 volts at the battery...preferably 14.3 volts. If the voltage at the battery is the same engine running as engine off...you have a charging system problem.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Ellen-84

So we took it to the mechanic he has had it since Tuesday. He replaced the alternator, then the stripped starter bolt and the wiring harness. He had it running then it stalled and he hasn’t been able to get it running again. It won’t crank over just clicks.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Ellen-84

The mechanic can’t find what’s draining the battery

Quick Reply: Journey