Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

First mods done!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:37 PM
MikeyB
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mods done!

Installed the auto headlight switch and rear bumper scuff guard.
Next, removing the air intake silencer.

MikeyB

Old 01-23-2005, 09:41 PM
done
Rookie
Default RE: First mods done!

Mikey, what do you expect to accomplish by removing the silencer?

Old 01-23-2005, 10:06 PM
old Bob N.E. CA
Rookie

I am wondering why so many people who buy Magnums order them with options that are really not needed, ie, GPS. (I can read a map) heated seats… when have you ever had a cold rear end in a car? When these costly goo-gaws go wrong, the cost for repairs are great.

Some buyers immediately start to modify their cars with items that would seem questionable until more info is out on what mods help, and the ones that don’t. I would wait for at least a year to see what the car has to offer, and then try to improve what I felt was necessary.

The RT Magnum from the factory with standard equipment seems to be quite a car in itself without additions.

What do you think?

Old 01-23-2005, 11:15 PM
EMB
Rookie

I work for a railroad, and one of my friends is a civil engineer and surveyor for a Denver based railway construction firm, and he showed me a little something this summer that startled me....unless you spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 grand, your gps system, the hand held and the ones installed in cars, can have a error factor of over 100yards.

Reason is they dont have the processing capibilities to work in real time.

The GPS my buddy has in his HiRail truck is about the size of a pair of lap tops, runs through the USGS satelite and is accurate to 5 square feet.

It uses input keyed points, based on known USGS marker locations, and the mobile uplink/locate source looks like a small two way radio...

You go to a point known by the system, tell it "I am here" and the system does the rest.
Or, you ask it "where am I" and, because the system uses thousands upon thousands of know points, and the signal is a lot stronger that what car makers use, it can find your location, latitude, longitude, minutes seconds and degrees, within seconds.

Whats in automobiles is a system like Map Quest, based on old maps, and because its does not really know where you are starting from, or where you are really at, it is off by quite a bit, so it gives you directions in advance, "turn left on Main street" because thats as close as it can get.

I get Map Quest free on my home computer, so....?

Now, after all that, if I was a salesman, or travled to cities and places completly new to me, it might have a use.

But I pretty much already know where I am going in the cities I visit frequently, and if I am going somewhere I am not sure of, I can still print a map off the computer.

So, for me, the extra cost wasnt justified.

And, living in Houston, well, its a swamp, so heated outside mirrors and seats dont really make sense.

Now, if they air conditioned the seats, that might be different!

Ed

[IMG]local://upfiles/11554/27168888FBC744828F5BC5F7FA81E9DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-23-2005, 11:39 PM
MikeyB
Professional

The auto headlights is a no brainer. It's standard on the Chrysler 300C but not on the Magnum. The little round cap on in the middle of the dash near the windshield is the electronic eye for the auto headlight (only on Magnums with the dual climate control). The new headlight switch has a 'A' on it for auto mode. Only $28.32 from http://www.moparsupercenter.com/

Removing the air intake silencer gives a little bit more of a throaty sound to the V8.

Oh yes, heated seats are a godsend on a diesel.

MikeyB

Old 01-23-2005, 11:55 PM
EMB
Rookie

Mike,
What I would like to find is a small, twin screw blower that would fit....
that might be something a one off machinest might make a few bucks at!

Ed

[IMG]local://upfiles/11554/F831E9A6B75244DBBF3F91579620E562.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2005, 12:50 AM
MikeyB
Professional

ORIGINAL: EMB

Mike,
What I would like to find is a small, twin screw blower that would fit....
that might be something a one off machinest might make a few bucks at!

Ed
Ed,
I think Kenne Bell is working on a supercharger kit for the Magnum.
Also got to remember that the computer and fuel system will need to be modified also.

MikeyB

Old 01-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Angry Pickle
Professional

Some people are just gadget geeks. I know I am

However on this car the only upgrade I got was the stereo system, as the only car on the lot that was what I wanted had it in it. It's sitting in a closet now since I replaced it with aftermarket.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:53 AM
Black RT
Professional

Bob
I am over 60 years old like you are. I also like to keep my cars orginal. I also got a Magnum RT. The Magnum RT is well equipped but I did get a couple of other options I liked also.

Bob, You will really like your Magnum. I have 1,000 miles on mine now with no problems, built 10/04/2004. It is a good driving, quite,poweful car. I did a milage test on car when it only had 500 miles on it and I saw a 25.7 MPG average on a 55 mile interstate trip at 68 MPH.How fast will it go I will never know.But watch this beast if you do a full throttle to pass you will doing 100 MPH in a few seconds. I have a guy that lives a few miles from me that has a Magnum RT with 6,000 miles on it and he said he got 27 MPG on a trip out west.He is the kind of drive that can get that 17-25 MPG average you see on window Bob, let us know you MPG on the SE when you get a few hundered miles on it.

Buddy in KY

Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Hemi RT
Professional

The people who have needed heated seats are those who live in the upper midwest and North East who have to deal with temps in winter anywhere from 20* - minus 10*. Have you ever gotton into a car that has been sitting outside overnight in 10* weather? Those heated seats are like getting into a hot tub. Once you experiance it it's hard not to go on without them!

Quick Reply: First mods done!