Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

How To Blackout The Taillights on my Magnum???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
BlackMag
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To Blackout The Taillights on my Magnum???

I just bought a black magnum and I was wondering how to blackout my taillights? I heard they tint them and then I heard they spray them. If anyone knows Where I can buy a kit or how to do it let me know thanks.

Old 02-23-2005, 11:08 AM
MagnumRT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To Blackout The Taillights on my Magnum???

One cheap and easy trick you might try, use 1/4 inch black pinstripe tape.

I have used it before with good results, here is how to use it.

Make sure your first horizontal piece of tape goes on level, as all other pieces are set off of that.

Put pieces of the 1/4 inch tape horizontally on the tail light lense, leave a 1/4 inch gap between each piece of tape. Cover the whole lens this way, you end up with a piece of tape, a gap, a picee of tape, a gap, etc. etc.

From a distance your tail lights will appear black, but when you step on the brakes or turn on your running lights, they will show through the tape.

Instead of black tape, you might try a color tape that is close to your cars body color.

You can always spray paint some 1/4 inch masking tape to match your car.

If you don't want to use tape, you might try "misting" your lenses with a light coat of dark paint. Not sure what the results might be.

Bob

Old 02-23-2005, 03:53 PM
VegasHemi
Professional

I've seen guys use "Spray Tint" in a can. Most auto stores carry it. The results looked good in the pictures I've seen, but I've never seen them in person.

Welcome Black Mag! I'm sure you'll enjoy reading a bunch of great info on your ride here!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:34 PM
FOURTEEN
Rookie

ORIGINAL: BlackMag

wondering how to blackout my taillights?

Blackout Taillights don't look very cool after they have been pushed half way to the rear seat!!!!

Old 02-23-2005, 09:47 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Fourteen,

Then don't install yours on the back seat! They belong on the rear of the car, and yes, they do look cool. Just try to stay out of the lane with the dork driving too close behind you. His problem, not yours. That's why we have Umbrella Insurance policies, right? But always drive defensively! lol

[IMG]local://upfiles/10346/66BAEC3D2F85459FA0897042C07922B2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 PM
old Bob N.E. CA
Rookie

You might be looking at a ticket for messing with your taillights. In California there are laws against modifying lights on your car. I remember way back when that I had “cat eyes†for taillights on my ’41 Chevy, and received a ticket for them.
Law enforcement has guidelines on what is acceptable when it comes to changing a cars lighting system.
You might check with DMV before changing anything.
(I know many will respond with…yeah, California…the state with the most laws against everything. I agree.)

old Bob

Old 02-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Vanilla Gorilla

Also had a ticket for that in CA in the middle of a sunny day. Spray tint, aka Euro tint, can be bought at auto parts stores, JC Whitney etc. Be carefull, too much spray looks like crap.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:13 AM
FOURTEEN
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 2005 Magnum R/T Hemi

Fourteen,

Just try to stay out of the lane with the dork driving too close behind you. His problem, not yours. [IMG]local://upfiles/10346/66BAEC3D2F85459FA0897042C07922B2.jpg[/IMG]

It could be your BIG problem if the 'dork' behind you is driving a semi on a snowy or foggy night, and thinks the road ahead is clear, because he can't see those 'cool' Blackout Taillights of yours!!

And, maybe the cop or insurance investigator determines that the accident was actually the fault of the 'dork' in the crushed Magnum with the cool taillights, and the trucking company sues to pay for their injured driver and damaged truck, and your insurance company denies your widow's claim because of your illegal alteration, and she has to become a hooker to pay the bills, and she gets Aids, and dies, and leaves your kids as orphans!! All because you thought that Blackout Taillights were 'cool'!!!! Who is the real 'dork'??!!??

[sm=badidea.gif][sm=devilangel.gif][sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 02-24-2005, 06:02 AM
1stDodge

I can't remenber where I've seen it, but there is a "Black" Mylar tape that is translucent out there,,,somewhere. Then follow the instructions from MagnumRT (I think ) that would solve both the "Tailgating Dork" and the "Myway Patrol" problem.

Then again, IMO

Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 AM
StatueMan
Rookie

Where can I buy this movie.... it has fast cars, anti-establishment message, sex, suspense, a tear-jerker ending, ... I'm hooked!

Quick Reply: How To Blackout The Taillights on my Magnum???