Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

This is my last straw!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:52 AM
MY HEMI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is my last straw!!!!

I can't friggin stand the noise's these motor's make at idle..Is it just mine or do all of them do this ..I think i have to go by a dealer and start a new to listen to it..Becasue this is annoying me to death ..I have a CAI and Cat back system and you still hear the ticking noise at idle ONLY at idle but its damm annoying I will run this car into a wall pretty soon thats how MAD i am with this noise.....I have gotten rid of car's because of less..Thats my only complaint with this car I love everything else about it. the car is fast ,awesome looks but they could have done a better job on the valve train so you dont hear it like a diesel...Something has to be wrong ...Does anyone's do this too???????[:@][:@][:@]

Old 03-14-2005, 03:21 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: This is my last straw!!!!

The all do it, every single one. In all honesty I think you are being a bit over sensitive, you could have bought a 70K Mercedes if you wanted the same performance with better quality. It's not as easy as it sounds to build a car with the Magnums performance and features and still offer it at a reasonable price.

Old 03-14-2005, 03:26 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

What ticking noise? I can't hear any on my RT, or maybe I am hard of hearing at 64, soon to be 65.

What oil are you using, can that cause it?

Hell, just turn up the stereo a little louder.......................................

Put on some good mufflers and listen to their sweet music.

Bob

Old 03-14-2005, 07:30 PM
MY HEMI
Rookie

My car still has the break in oil I only have 1200 miles on it ..Oh i have a K&N CAI and Flowmaster 17405 cat back system...As far as turning the stereo up no problem I have 2 8 inch bass tube both with 200 watts each...Thats not the point i shouldnt have to turn my radio up or put an exhaust on to not hear a noise.... Im just concerned that it could be something bad and break down the road say after the 7yr - 70,000 miles waranty..I would want to get it fixed now or just know its normal so i can go on enjoying MY NEW car....

Old 03-14-2005, 11:52 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

its not normal using my own Magnum as a judge. Bearing this thread in mind, with the sunroof open I listened while in the echo chamber of my garage. Not so much as a single tappit.

Take that sucker in!

Old 03-15-2005, 03:53 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every engine does it, every person also hears at different octaves so what may seem excessive to one may be barley discernible to others. The valve train/fuel injectors/solenoids for emissions components all make a very distinct "tick" during operation, if it doesn't something is wrong.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
MY HEMI
Rookie

Thanks Dodgemech, Do you think mine might be louder because they might have the wrong oil in or its because the bread in oil is different then what the guy's are using now....Is that possible ...Well i feel better knowing you say its normal anyway's..Thanks

Old 03-15-2005, 08:26 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

My Hemi,

Last Straw? With only 1,200 miles, you are already at your Last Straw? Did you ever wonder that the Modifications done to the Intake and Exhaust could have made the ticking sound worse? How was the sound prior to the Mods? Same, quieter, louder? I have been reading some threads of guys losing their ability to spin the wheels, due to the Exhaust Mods. More HP equals less Torque? Is that correct? But that's besides the point, I was just curious on the effect your Modifications have with your ticking problem and if the two are somehow related.

Here's my point. Less than 1,000 miles, engine shut down. I dealer for over 3 weeks. Get RT back, breaks again with the same thing, the same day. In dealer another 1 1/2 Weeks. Get RT back, drives semi-OK for about 3 1/2 Weeks. Same failure. Back in Dealer for another 4 days. Almost 5,000 miles on the RT now, seemingly OK, but sometimes feel a decrease in Power. I am convinced it's the Computer that is bad. Dealer thinks I'm smokin' Crack... Just tells me to drive it... I'm thinkin', what, have me drive it until the warranty has expired, so they don't have to screw with it? WTF? I am at odds with my RT right now. If I didn't have a color that was discontinued, I would get this car replaced today, but I am unable to get an RT in my color, which also matches my wife's 2005 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi, Mineral Gray.

So, what were you saying about Last Straw? After all that I have went through after paying $31,795 with everything except the Sun Roof, Tow Package and the Navigation System, I still love this car. A comparable car would cost $45,000 to $60,000. Wait, there is NO comparable car to the RT... Priceless...

Please respond about your Mods, as I am considering the Exhaust Mod, but do not want ticks in the Cylinders.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 PM
MY HEMI
Rookie

Mine is mineral grey too..... I didnt seem to loose power my car seem's quicker IMO ...I can still spin the tires from a dead stop no powering braking ESP off or on, with it on it only spins a little before it stops but it still does spin ...With it off it will break them loose at a drop of a hat...so power doesnt seem to be at a loss to me....Now you might be right about the ticking it might be a little louder due to the exhaust but it was there before any MODS so i think something might be wrong maybe..Dodgemech says its normal maybe it is maybe its not i want to hear another one to determine this for myself..Dont get me wrong i love this car alot i just dont want problems down the line either i plan on keeping this for a long time and i would like to feel safe driving it this way, not knowing if something is wrong or not....So i guess i will drive it like i stole it for now until something breaks...We will see what happens......here's some pictures of mine if you didnt see any... http://members.cardomain.com/myhemi

Old 03-15-2005, 08:59 PM
MagnumSXT
Professional

Personally, I'd find it awful hard to diagnose a tick without ever hearing it. If it were me, and I thought it was abnormal, I'd just stop by the dealer and have them listen to it. Couldn't hurt anything.

Quick Reply: This is my last straw!!!!