Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

New exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 04:18 AM
Husker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust

Hey folks, I am looking at getting the Dynomax cat back system, but had a question relating the the "x-pipe" or cross over if you will. What's the difference of using a system that has the cross-over or just having my local shop do true duals from the cats to the tips and just run flowmasters. Is it a torque issue???

Thanks everyone

Old 05-20-2005, 06:40 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: New exhaust

I got this from Hedman's Site when I did a google search on exhaust crossover pipe. In the older days they used to use a straight pipe to connect the two sides of a dual exhaust to make a "H" pipe. Then they realized that an "X" pipe flows better.

HEDMAN's Exhaust Equalizer Kit completely eliminates firing order pressure differences between the right and left banks of the exhaust manifolds, or hedders. The tangentially siamesed crossover junction synchronizes the exhaust pulses.

The firing order of all production V8ā€™s, regardless of make, has one cylinder in each bank that will fire within 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation of another cylinder in the same bank. This occurs twice during completion of the entire firing order. These two cylinders will be exhausting almost simultaneously into the same manifold system. Full length 4 tube hedders help separate these pulses until the collector is reached. After the hedder tubes dump into the collectors, the two cylinders again are fighting each other for space in the collector and exhaust pipe. The result is reflected pressure waves traveling back up the exhaust system, backpressure, lost power and poor economy.

At the same time two cylinders exhaust in one bank, there is no activity in the opposite bank. The traditional H-Pipe equalizer allows some of the excess pressure to bleed over the ā€œquiet sideā€ of the exhaust system, resulting in some low and mid-range torque improvements. At high RPMā€™s however, the gases cannot bleed across the H-Pipe fast enough to help power significantly. Hedmanā€™s X-TREME equalizer pipe splits the flow in the crossover junction so the pressures on both banks will be equal and pulse free after the crossover, regardless of the RPM. Volumetric efficiency and power are therefore improved at all engine speeds.

This is from Dynomax Balance Tubes
Balance Tubes (or ā€˜Hā€™ pipes) help to even out the pulses in the exhaust gases and balance the backpressure between both banks of your engine. They not only help improve horsepower, but sound as well.

To find the right location to install your balance tube, apply a strip of paint down the front portion of the exhaust pipes. The balance tube should be placed where the paint burns off (bubbles) on the exhaust pipes. Generally, put the balance tubes as close to the headers as possible. The balance tube diameter should be at least 75% of the diameter of the pipes with which it connects.

To make an assumption, the V-6's are 60 degree motors and may not have a need for a crossover pipe. Maybe someone with some more experience can help out about this statement (Dodgemech hint hint hahahaha)

Old 05-20-2005, 06:58 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Dynomax also have some rebates also
rebate fom

Old 05-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Blkmagnum

Factory exhaust has a croosover already

Old 05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

One of his options is to do a catback which will remove the factory crossover, if im am correct.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:04 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Hey Husker, I though that you already did the exhaust system. Still going to All-Pro or ordering it online? Look in the Sights and sound section, I have uploaded the 0-118mph topspeed sound byte and 50-118mph vid. The show and shine is in full force at Flashbacks on 84 and center every rainfree wednesday.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:26 AM
Husker
Professional

I did, but I traded the SXT for an R/T and I am doing it all over again I go in Wednesday to All Pro for another exhaust job

Maybe I will see you at flashbacks soon!

Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Damn must be nice hahahaah.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:53 AM
Husker
Professional

It's only money
The folks at Performance took very good care of me. It helps also knowing the owner.
But tell you what, there is a huge difference between the R/T and the SXT....well worth the investment!!

Old 05-24-2005, 12:06 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

I just got stuck on alert for a week starting weds, so this weds I wont be there. Looks like rain anyway. What color is it? looks like I have started a small trend here. When I see a Magnum on the road, I flash the lighs. Now I have actually been "flashed" a couple of times. It reminds me of when I had the harley and the wave. Get together with Performance sometime and ask about them hosting a Magnum meet some time. I was trying at Jim's Dodge Country, but they changed hands and it got forgotten. Maybe they can contact the owners and see if we can get someting going. It be a good sellig point for them, this way prospective buyers can ask current owners opinions. I think that there is very few non satisfied owners. If you need help with setting up a simple website or some stereo questions, I'll be more than happy to help ya out.

Quick Reply: New exhaust